Video Camera mounts

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Does anyone know of any clever ways to mount a video camera inside or outside? Needs to be safe for track sessions, metal to metal. I don't want to drill any holes or marr anything if possible.
Thanks a lot.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Look up Sticky Pod. I keep meaning to buy one but always forget.. Good to 170mph.

I have previously ghetto rigged a mount inside the cockpit using a couple bungee cords and a mini-tripod that is kept taut in the bin where the mac sub would be...

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
I have a STICKY POD for my passenger side window and it works very well on the street. I haven't taken it to the track but as stated above, it's good to 170mph. Reasonably priced and can be mounted just about anywhere.

DWP

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Southern CA and Utah
I use a chase cam. Had one at the rally and it worked out great for us. Got some good video of the auto cross and quite a lot on the rally run Friday. Mine attaches inside on the front window and is very stable. I have seen other methods used and have never heard of a problem at speed. I have also seen video taken with them from the outside focused on suspension parts to watch suspension action over particular track sections.

They have a nice helmet cam mount also that I have seen used on bikes and off road buggies.

Check them out at chasecam.com I have been happy with mine.

Dave

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks for the feedback. The Sticky mounts look good and will probably work fine. I'll need something hard mounted to metal in order to take on the track though. I have a nice mount that sucks to the inside of the back window and rests on the big speaker that works great, just not bolted down to anything.
If anyone runs across something please let me know.
Thanks,
John

DWP

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Southern CA and Utah
The little chase cam works pretty well at the track. A lot of the lotus guys use them. I have seen several applications and have never heard of one coming loose or causing any problems. If you are trying to mount your entire camera then you will probably need some other mounting method.

Dave

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
The chase mounts are pretty nice but I need something for my HD camera which has a sweet wide angle lens adapter. It's small for what it is but still weighs about a pound or two.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Have a custom mount fabricated using the racing harness mounting point behind the seat. It's relatively simple to accomplish.

Last edited:

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Suction cups

I was at a track event and this guy was making videos for everyone. he had a homemade rig of a plexiglass 5X7 panel with suction cups. The camer lens was mounted on the panel with a drilled through hole and the camera was in the seat attaached to the seat belt. He handed out the DVD at the end of your run, very cool.