Vents Melting

430austin

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2008
austin tx
I recently tracked my car for the first time and afterwards noticed some of the vents behind the rear glass melted. My car is Whippled and has custom exhaust etc. from accufab (some of you may have seen it for sale a few months back ,06 blk/blk no stripes).

This obviously seems like a heat issue and I wondered if this was common for other owners and if those fins will be tough to find in the aftermarket. I thought I followed cool down properly and it surprised me but I am happy to say the car seems to run great otherwise.

Thanks for a terrific forum and any insight anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Austin, the vents are known to warp. AZGT has come up with some sand cast replacements, but don't know if they're still available. Best option is to open the clamshell after spirited driving. I've got 12K miles on mine with no warping.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
There are many threads on this topic. Many folks pop the hatch after a run. Some cars have the issues, some don't, I ran your set up before going to the stainless works headers and had no issues, and still don't.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome, I see this is your first post. I changed your status to owner. Please register your gal above in the registry.

430austin

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2008
austin tx
Thanks for the help.

Sorry to waste your time but at first I searched melting vents and didn't see anything. I should have broadened it a bit I guess.

Spooked me a bit and I am glad to know it is not just mine.

When I return and get the vin in front of me I will register.

Thanks again

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Congrats and welcome to the club!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Welcome to the group. Spirit, Prowler, Cody and I get together locally from time to time. PM me with contact info if you want to get in trouble with the rest of us.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Although no ones know for sure, it is suspected that the exhaust change is the culprit. The exhaust you have consists of much less surface area to dissipate the heat so the area you have produces much hotter temps.

I would guess that Ford would give you new parts, although it is probably not a design issue with the car.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Wrap the X-Pipe with insulation.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Mark is spot on....

The aftermarket exhaust system radiates a significantly greater amount of heat energy to the adjacent structures which were designed and tested with the large insulated OEM muffler in place. Although heat "soakback" may be the vent melting culprit (helped by opening the clam shell after stopping), there may be a high enough heat load on the underside of the vents while on the track under high horsepower loads to lead to heat distorsions as well.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I went to the Accufab x-pipe after getting warped vents with the stock exhaust. I'm going to wrap my pipes this spring, but I don't see a difference with the new pipe. The plus side to aftermarket pipes is they unblock a massive ventilation area that is blocked by the stock exhaust.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
A good idea is to always check the vent holding bolts and make sure they're not loose, Heffner exhaust jet coated here, no warping so far.

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Ordered Vents--Do homework 1st damnit..

Boys,
My vents are warped also. Do I ordered new air vents through
Mel Clayton Ford here in Phx $ 170 each.....

So I after I ordered them I check with Power Ford Scottsdale and they
are $145 each.....Damn!! I should have done my homework because I prepaid the 1st order.....Oh well.............BRay

I like others ALWAYS open the clam when I,am done driving...
I also have to have them painted

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Since the topic of wrapping came up. What brand/diameter/temp. rating would be recommended?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
In the future if you need anything like this please email me I could have set you up even better on OEM Ford Parts its my day job.

Boys,
My vents are warped also. Do I ordered new air vents through
Mel Clayton Ford here in Phx $ 170 each.....

So I after I ordered them I check with Power Ford Scottsdale and they
are $145 each.....Damn!! I should have done my homework because I prepaid the 1st order.....Oh well.............BRay

I like others ALWAYS open the clam when I,am done driving...
I also have to have them painted

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, at night he's stealing parts from Florida cars.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Yeah, at night he's stealing parts from Florida cars.

:eek

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Ha

Jan A. Byrd

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
Percy IL
If I install a set of accufab X pipe without insulation rap and run it on the street only do you guys think I wll have at engine compartment causing waping of the vents? J Byrd.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I wrapped my X Pipe with 2" wide wrap.. It makes a big difference. Always open or crack the rear lid after a spirited drive..