Using VIN to interpret build date? How is this done?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
OK...I searched the forums and spent some time trying to understand how to confirm the build date. There were a number of anecdotal stories, but no one ever confirmed how to truly find the build date on these cars.

Some may be wondering why this is important. Well, for those of us who have 2005 models, it appears that almost all the TSBs for these cars occur only with those built between July and December of 04. If I had the choice, I would prefer to purchase a car built after this window.

So....how can I tell for sure? All I know is that my VIN ends in 909 and that the dealer has had the car for almost a year.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Build date

Look on the B pillar on the drivers side. It will give you a month/year. The VIN doesn't help much.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Yes, if you look at all the TSBs it looks like all major issues only dealt with cars built between July and December 04. There are no major TSBs for cars built after December 04.
I will have someone check the pillar.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
sleeve

centerpunch said:
Common belief is that the suspension recalls were cars under about VIN 500. There's no way to know about the crank speedisleeve fix, as that was not a recall, just a TSB, but it's believed to be about the same range of cars.
there is a # and date of cars that had the oil leak, But come to find out my car was built 9 days after the cut off date and I think I have a leak going in for a die test next week.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Todd-
So what is your Vin# and what is the production/build date of your GT?

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
Can help with this

anybody that needs the exact day/date that their car was built just send me your VIN and I'll provide it for you. FOC :biggrin
Best if you PM me.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
vin #

lthlvpr said:
Todd-
So what is your Vin# and what is the production/build date of your GT?
vin is 762 dont know the exact build date the dealership told me but I forgot.

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
todd said:
vin is 762 dont know the exact build date the dealership told me but I forgot.

sent you a PM