Used BBS light weight rim

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
So I bought a used rim form a forum member.Sent it to BBS only to find out its not straight.Can’t be fixed or used on a car ...It looks good ,but useless for its intend use.Any one need a rim to make a table or Garage art?
Make me an offer

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Sent PM.

Howard

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Someone should be giving you a refund on the purchase.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Is it a front or rear?

fordgtforsale.com

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2007

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Ron,
What were you wanting BBS to do to the rim?

I have talked to BBS before regarding metallurgical heat treat damage due to the popular powder coat heat application process and the engineering people I spoke with indicated they do not provide any services to owners wanting "something" (repaint, rim weld repair, rim straightening, etc). They only work on their new castings/forgings or inspect used rims for a warranty claim.

Interested in what you wanted BBS to do??

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Talked with these folk a few years back about fixing a damage wheel. http://www.rimpro.com/index.html
Might be fairly local to you Ron. I didn't use them, but in talking with the owner, he seem to think he could fix most wheels..
They developed there own machines to do this process.
I didn't use them because I could not find a wheel… Ended up buy a new one wholesale.
I would think BBS due to liability and their contract with OEM, would not want to have anything to do with fixing a wheel..They would prefer you bought a new one.
I did get some wheel paint from BBS, but their process for painting our wheels is a 3 layer job, and hard to fix with touchup paint. I didn't get the base coat or intermediate coat…Not sure if they where different or not. I think the base coat is.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I had a local owner try 3 times to get a rim fixed and the last time it came back to us I told him to forget the risk, if he made me install it, I'd shoot him myself and prevent him from dying in agony. For whatever reason BENT upgrade wheels are seemingly difficult to repair. Maybe a differennt story for fixing surface imperfections or small rim blemishes but I'm not sure I'd trust one that was straightened.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It would be safe for EP to use a straiten rim, others probably not.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
It would be safe for EP to use a straiten rim, others probably not.
Rough crowd!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have a front and a rear paid 1500 for the pair. They look great hold air but have been repaired but the front should balance out.Dont know if the rear will but I can check with BBS.I sent the rear to BBS to have checked and touched up.I have a great connection at BBS .My friend at BBS said he did not recommend using the rear Did you know the wheels are made in china? Really!
Yes I agree with you Rob on the refund thing .

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Ron. Helps to know people in high places!

I would think BBS due to liability and their contract with OEM, would not want to have anything to do with fixing a wheel. They would prefer you bought a new one.

I agree, this is probably their most important concern.

I did get some wheel paint from BBS, but their process for painting our wheels is a 3 layer job, and hard to fix with touchup paint.

Through my discussions, I found this to be true as well. Our rims do get a 3 coat paint process which is complex and difficult (as some have determined) to duplicate.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I would only use them as an emergency wheels.

Cobraguy

GT Owner

A partial refund is deff in order here for you Ron...I recently purchased parts in good faith from a former member and was left extremely dissapointed with the deal. I guess even on this forum it is still "buyer beware!"

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Cobraguy, please share what your talking about and with what member. It needs to be known otherwise, no one else will know for future reference

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Shelby...I'll give you a call.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
So I sold the wheels and stated clearly what they are.I am still out 500 dollars.Do you forum members think it is appropriate to ask the original seller for a 500 dollar refund ??
Clearly they were not what he said..

This was his Post

Bornn66
GT Owner

Default Two optional BBS rims for sale. One front. One rear
Appear to be road worthy and correct color but came from Shelby Automotive. May have been used on a prototype ?? Have some paint markings. Can photo and send. Not sure what they are worth?? $1500.00 for the pair would be good for my wife ;). Please email or call me. Thanks Larry

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
In my opinion, this should all be offline.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have tried with no luck

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Unfortunately sometimes things have to be discussed publicly to get people's attention. I have no skin in the game on this one at all, but can definitely relate to having to take things public sometimes. Hope you get things worked out Ron.