Useable horsepower

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Just dynoed my car and it did 683 rwhp. It seems to me that its about as much Hp as you can actually put down to the ground in 2nd and third without going to drag radials. From your experiences if lauched with larger than factory michelins not drag radials, what should this car run in the 1/4 mile. Also Has anyone accuratley figured out the percentage of Horsepower loss on a ford Gt from rwhp to flywheel HP?

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Please list your performance upgrades.

I would guess approx 10% parasitic loss.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
*snicker*

He thinks it's enough.... it's never enough.

bomb.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
*snicker*

He thinks it's enough.... it's never enough.

bomb.jpg

+1

The journey never ends!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
3rd gear with 345 width Michelin Pilot Cups and around 800 rwhp is the point where the tires break loose for me.

For me it's better to have waaaaaay too much HP and learn to know just when the power will break loose the tires you are running.

Question: Would you rather have 1000 rwhp in 4th gear or 700ish?

You can probably guess what I prefer. :)

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
I also own a TT viper detuned to 1240 rwhp with the latest drag radials in the rear. Yes blindigly fast but Im not sure its very useful on the street plus you compromise your handling with the drag radials. I tried Mich sport cups and they were useless on this application. My GT has the next to smallest pulley, accufab th bdy, Headers no cats. factory muffler, and offcourse a custom tune. in second gear it spins the tires a lot but its mostly moving forward. ocasionally depedind on the road or on the shift you have to let off. Third is mostly acceleration with only slight spinning. I believe for the street it seems to be about as fast as you could get. On the other hand the Viper TT is a very dangerous car to race on the street. PS paracitic loss must be over 10%

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Doesn't a stock pullyed supercharger draw off about 80-90 hp?

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Not sure what the useable power limit is yet, but hope to get closer to it with a Whipple.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Not sure what the useable power limit is yet, but hope to get closer to it with a Whipple.

The "usable" power limit depends on the driver. I know you guys think those of us that got TT's are over the top, but I can tell you I don't feel like I lost any drivability on the street with the TT. My car has over 10K miles and about 1,500 TT miles including my mile adventures. When the tires have broken loose it was not stressful.

My wife has driven the car more in the TT set-up than the SC and it does not stress me out at all.......as long as I am in the car. :biggrin

Honestly if the TT's were not so expensive and it was possible for people to get seat time in a demo TT I think that there would be a lot more converts. It gives you whatever you want. :cheers

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I also own a TT viper detuned to 1240 rwhp with the latest drag radials in the rear. Yes blindigly fast but Im not sure its very useful on the street plus you compromise your handling with the drag radials. I tried Mich sport cups and they were useless on this application. My GT has the next to smallest pulley, accufab th bdy, Headers no cats. factory muffler, and offcourse a custom tune. in second gear it spins the tires a lot but its mostly moving forward. ocasionally depedind on the road or on the shift you have to let off. Third is mostly acceleration with only slight spinning. I believe for the street it seems to be about as fast as you could get. On the other hand the Viper TT is a very dangerous car to race on the street. PS paracitic loss must be over 10%

comparing a TT Viper and a high hp GT is apples to oranges. The GT is fairly easy to drive hard and fast IMO.

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
comparing a TT Viper and a high hp GT is apples to oranges. The GT is fairly easy to drive hard and fast IMO.

I would have to agree the GT feels a much more controllable when you loose traction than the Viper. I was just concerned with loosing that very nice inherent feel the Gt has in search of more power.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
inherent feel the "GT" or "YOU" have in search for more power.

I quote fubar "... it's never enough" lol

I now have to go eat some pumpkin pie ... my wife is making me. :)

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
inherent feel the "GT" or "YOU" have in search for more power.

I quote fubar "... it's never enough" lol

I now have to go eat some pumpkin pie ... my wife is making me. :)

Im pretty sure whomever said that never switched three lanes sideways opposite lock at 110mph

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Im pretty sure whomever said that never switched three lanes sideways opposite lock at 110mph

Fubar has done everything .... in an undisclosed location somewhere in Mexico. hahahaha. lol

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

bet it hasn't happened in a GT.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'd really like to see a Shelby "Code Red" run the qtr against a TT FGT.

The 'Red ought to have the edge if only due to its gearing.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

At equal rwhp I would give a few tenths edge to the GT considering weight, aero, gearing and weigh distribution. It would be real close though.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
At equal rwhp I would give a few tenths edge to the GT considering weight, aero, gearing and weigh distribution. It would be real close though.

What I'm thinkin' is "Red's" duel fuel feed/mix-'n'-match timing/speed/gear voodoo would minimize wheelspin and maximize h.p. for the full 1320. That's why I'd give the edge to "Red". But, like you, I think it'd be darn close!!!

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Fubar has done everything .... in an undisclosed location somewhere in Mexico. hahahaha. lol

In Mexico no problem. In I-95 ...Bring out the toilet paper.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

I have a buddy that has a TT gt500 that makes 1000rwhp. It runs 9.49 in the 1/4...with a drag radial....But he also has a stock blower on the car aswell. He said just the t.t is slow, very hard to race and has to much lag on shifts with twin 64's. The gt500 also weighs 4080lbs. Where as the GT is about 500lbs lighter.