Uneven rear panel gap

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
My 06 has a very noticelable uneven panel gap between the rear panel and the clamshell behind the wheel. It has been like this always, but looks terrible.
Ant tips on how to adjust this out, I assume it involves moving the lower panel upwards?
Steve
P2220832.jpg

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
There are basically six attachments points for the rear, plus the lower connections. Two bolts can be accessed through the license plate hole, two can be accessed on top with the clam open, and two that are bolted to three stiffening bars at the very front outside corner of the rear - you can see the top of the bolt but will have to remove the rear wheel well to access the nut and the bars.

You can adjust height of the rear relative to the clam by adding washers between the frame and the rear panel to the bolts that are accesses through the lic plate hole and with the clam open. The gap can then be adjusted by moving the stiffening bars around in the wheel well. You will see what I mean when you get the wheel well out.

Or simply request help from someone like Shadowman.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would recommend starting with the easiest way and see if you can make it work without going through a lot of extra trouble. Open the clamshell and then remove the plastic panel on the top of the area behind the rear wheel. With this panel removed you will see 3 triangulated aluminum bars converging to a single point on the rear skirt piece. Using a T-27 Torx on a 1/4" ratchet, loosen each of the 3 ends of these support bars. Do not loosen the nut/bolt where they converge. With the 3 attach points loosened, see if you can get a friend to lightly push the piece into the desired position and, if possible, get him/here to slightly over compensate. With the friend pushing (again, not too much force), secure the 3 T-27 Torx screws. This method will typically yield some results which may be enough in some cases. Otherwise, a more involved procedure may be called for.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
you bought the right color for sure!!! Right all of us tungsten owners?

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
you bought the right color for sure!!! Right all of us tungsten owners?
Yep, I agree, I am very lucky as there are only two GT's on the road in this country, the other is silver. Tungsten is my favourite colour for this gal

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Section 501-03 in the service manual talks about these adjustments.

Aug 25, 2006
I adjust these gaps on a regular basis so if I can help please let me know

The process is not difficult

PM me and then we can share email or phone numbers

All the best

Shadowman