Ultra Low (or No?) Miles

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I do not know the percentage of GT owners who frequent the internet. For many cars, it is actually quite low, or so I am told.

So when we discuss miles accrued on our GTs, I believe we would be slanted toward those who drive their cars frequently.

I am guessing that those who do not interact about their cars on the internet also are more likely the ones who buy their cars as "collectibles" and do not drive them...much if at all.

With that boring preamble, let me ask the inverse of the question frequently asked here. That is,

How many of you limit your accumulated miles? Do you know owners who have simply purchased their GT and put them into indefinite storage?

(I realize that this inevitably triggers "I bought it to drive it" comments, but setting that aside...are there any members here who simply have purchased and set aside the car?)

- doc

Docrug

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Mansfield, Tx
Low Miles

Just try to limit myself to less than 500 miles a month. If I get the chance I may buy another to put up and let my 3 teenage sons fight over when I'm gone.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The trouble with owning exotic cars and having a young family is... having a destination!

My problem is that when I take any of my cars out, I'm usually on my own (wife and ankle biters at home) and then it's 'off to see a mate for a coffee' or 'off to get some petrol/gas'. So inevitably the mileage is low.

I have one or two large (ish) road trips a year - this year I'm taking my GT to the south of France for 3 weeks (missing the Detroit extravanza) and expect to put 2,000 miles on the dials. Last year I took my Vanquish to southern France and the year before something else. I try not to think about it too much - i.e. I have nice cars, I hardly use them. I definitely did not buy it to store it in the garage - however finding the time and, importantly, having a destination, are two key elements that mean I'm not clocking up the miles.....

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I am an entrenched family man by choice. And I would rather be with my kids than do virtually anything else. As a result, they share the passion for cars, bikes, guns, electronics, etc.

The negative is that cool cars are most often 2-seaters. The GT also has the distinction that even for minor things like going to the grocery, there is no room whatsoever. It is very easy to leave the GT at home; it is just too inconvenient for what I do, and I would never take it to the office (open invitation for mayhem).

This is more true than it was with the Viper which was nowhere nearly as fun to drive or as cool looking. But I could get groceries in the trunk or a book bag for school or a guitar and flute for music lessons...also it had ground clearance.

So, for us, the GT will, by default, be a very low mileage car. That is rough because, in contrast to the Viper, the GT is a great car to drive.

- doc

jimfro

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2006
Sebring, Florida
Low Mileage

I bought mine as a birthday gift to myself I'll be 58 on July 4. I was a kid working at Sebring Race track and have been in love with the GT 40 since they came there in 66. I am probably not the average exotic owner as its the only one I have ever wanted. It would be great if it goes up in value but I have never bought a car thinking it was an investment more of a necessary expense. I drive it when I feel like it and I'll sell it when it dosen't give me the adrealine rush it created 40 years ago.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
I drive a Mini, what are you compensating for?

Yes, thats' the tag line on my 'personal card'. I mean that. I'm at home drivnig my Mini or my Porsche or any of my othe cars. I bought the GT to drive. It's possibly the best car I've ever owned. 3 weeks into it and I've got 1800 miles on it. Including 2 track days. I'll put another 1000 miles this long week end. Anyone at the SAAC Event at VIR? I will be. Look for the Gulf GT.

No time for 'posers', but love the real car enthusiasts...no matter what you drive! Mini's to Mustangs...you know where it's at! You know who you are.

Gordo.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I limit my GT to only 2500 miles per year. This way i can add "goodies" (which i have not done yet) & i will not have to go thru emissions testing here in PA. I would be considered Emissions Exempt.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
eshrink said:
It is very easy to leave the GT at home; it is just too inconvenient for what I do, and I would never take it to the office (open invitation for mayhem).

This is more true than it was with the Viper which was nowhere nearly as fun to drive or as cool looking. But I could get groceries in the trunk or a book bag for school or a guitar and flute for music lessons...also it had ground clearance.

So, for us, the GT will, by default, be a very low mileage car. That is rough because, in contrast to the Viper, the GT is a great car to drive.

- doc

I agree with all. I absolutely love to drive my GT, more than any other vehicle. But I found my C6 vette more useful for everyday activities. I am a little more cautious about where I drive my GT as well...want plenty of space for parking and do not want door dings. That being said, I will not hesitate to track this car as much as possible. I don't drive my car to the office either...worry (probably should not) about what our employees might think (would never lie if asked but don't want to appear to advertise) and, believe it or not, other doctors can be somewhat too curious. Most don't care...but a few begin to think about their specialty, their income, and why they don't have such a car...and they easily forget the choices we all make in life (eg. the ultraexpensive home, the beach house, etc). Personally, I have never cared what others had or did not have...but some people tend to concentrate too much on this...and some of these are our clients. Too crazy!

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Neilda said:
The trouble with owning exotic cars and having a young family is... having a destination!

My problem is that when I take any of my cars out, I'm usually on my own (wife and ankle biters at home) and then it's 'off to see a mate for a coffee' or 'off to get some petrol/gas'. So inevitably the mileage is low.
My problem exactly and even though I don't have a GT yet - I'm agonising over this very point; however, I've decided I'll 'find' a destination and have already had agreement from the wife that there will be times when we take the 2 2-seater cars to one mutual destination... sounds mental (and wasteful) but I just know there will be days when I want to drive it and we'll have a family commitment, so my wife can either take the Aero 8, or a daily driver.

Neil, we'll just to have pick a Starbucks in Scotland and meet for Sunday morning coffee and croissants! :biggrin

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Cyclenirvana said:
I don't drive my car to the office either...worry (probably should not) about what our employees might think (would never lie if asked but don't want to appear to advertise) and, believe it or not, other doctors can be somewhat too curious. Most don't care...but a few begin to think about their specialty, their income, and why they don't have such a car...and they easily forget the choices we all make in life (eg. the ultraexpensive home, the beach house, etc).

Very interesting point and not to drag the Gallardo argument back to the forefront, it does however tie very nicely into this very issue.

I would be embarrassed to drive a Lamborghini or a Ferrari to my office but strangely, not the Ford GT. Where as the others say you've spent a lot of money on a car, at least in the UK, Joe/Joette average would have no idea how much a GT was worth and would only see the Ford badge. The second aspect is I believe people would appreciate the GT for it's classic merits and not judge you in a stereotypical manner - as they do with Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini. These cars carry and innate negative stigma in the UK – unless they are old (say pre 80’s)

Maybe this is just wishful thinking but I truly believe I will be able to drive the GT to the office without feeling like a social-leper as the GT would seem to avoid the tragic socially dictated stigmas of most other super/hyper cars... views? opinions?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Cyclenirvana brings up an excellent point, and one that is endemic to health care. To wit:

If he drives one of those, he is charging too much, and I am paying for it. And I deeply resent it.

When I bought an SL Mercedes about 20 years ago, the guy in the office down the hall (internist) said "whoa, that's a surgeon's car...be careful."

(WTF?) But he had a valid point. Colleagues and patients will look at cars in the lot. They make (valid or specious) conclusions based upon what they see. The same holds true for homes (yet Warren Buffet is never praised for having a modest home).

I have a friend who is a dentist. He has five collector cars. Gorgeous restorations. He drives a 18 year old Chrysler van to the office. He is certain that his patients would be very displased to know that their dental bills fund such vehicles. To my knowledge, he has never driven one to his office (3 miles from home) in the 16 years that I have known him.

There is some validity to being concerned for retaliatory damage to an exotic especially one which can be connected to you.

Leaving the office yesterday, I walked passed a Porsche GT3 (now that's a nice grocery getter) in the lot. Like anyone else, I wondered who owned it.

I think that people would more easily accept it if the car belonged to a patient. Patients work for their car. The rest of us must get ours from insurance fraud.

Things are likely quite different in the business community where financial success is admired.

BTW: It is not difficult to understand the distinction. - business people build empire, but health care should be "freely and equally distributed." You should not pay for someone to take care of you. It takes a village. Yada yada. Certainly, Canada feels that way.

(Cyclenirvana: Cycling is great. Admirable. Being in the gym is certainly a boring way to get exercise. I admire your stamina; great and healthy hobby. And, yes, my GT is well on its way to resolution thanks to a man at the factory and a local dealer. We shall see, but I remain optimistic. I need to find out if a six speed transmission was supposed to come standard. Mine has a Cruise-o-matic which they tell me was a "special option" as was the 6 cylinder engine. How cool is that?).

- doc

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think we strayed onto this topic many moons ago - that being what your customers or employees might think if they saw you in an expensive sports car.

The difficulty is that you would never be given the opportunity to explain your position. For example, ten years ago I put my house on the line to buy my company - now I reap those rewards having made a sensible/qualified risk. However my customers don't know that and not all of my staff would know that - I'd have to tell them the whole story before getting them to say 'hey, nice car, you worked hard for it, you took some risks with your own money - I didn't - enjoy the fruits of your labours!'. The snap shot they see is simply someone with money.

Unfortunately, in the UK, wealth and success are rather envied and ultimately scorned - it's one of the nicer attributes of Americans in that (and I'm speaking in general terms) success is applauded. So the British experience would be rather different.

There is another argument or position of course, you run a successful business, you have made your directors millionaires, your employees feel they're being lead by a successful management team - therefore driving an interesting car (at the appropriate moment) is no bad thing. They wouldn't want to see you in a rusty Nissan.

But if my plumber turned up in a Rolls Royce Phantom.......??!

Soooo - I got us nicely off topic!! Apologies.

Nomis, yes, you will be my destination and I will be yours. Hurry up and get your GT and stop fiddling about.... :lol

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Neilda:

It is not, for me, off topic since the reason my mileage will stay low is that it would not be wise for me to bring the car to the office (sits on the fourth corner, the other three corners are hospitals).

In business, most often, there is a gap between the public and your income. In health care, it is a direct link (unless you are a radiologist or pathologist). People pay their bills with or without insurance and then see that their bills bought you this car.

That may not be a wise disclosure to the public. My dentist friend surely feels that way.

Then again, there are those speed bumps with which to contend.

- doc

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
200 miles in 36 hours. Only low because there was rain. :devil

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Neilda said:
Nomis, yes, you will be my destination and I will be yours. Hurry up and get your GT and stop fiddling about.... :lol

With respect to destinations, I'm a GRRC member also, so we can spice things up and hit the breakfast meets, not just Starbuck in Skegness :rofl

And as for the GT, I'm waiting for someone to call me back as I write this but equally, I still have the other avenue that we've discussed... life is full of choices, or something equally deep and meaningful :willy ... hell, it's all about the petrol, nothing deeper than that if I'm honest :wink

As for the medical field, it's equally strange in the UK. I am involved in medicine in the role of supplier and while our health service moans about their lack of funding, they are more than happy to only fly first class and more than happy to bury their food and drink expense accounts, so that the large amounts go unnoticed. These same people talk about how badly paid they are and how 'we' suppliers charge too much :rolleyes

I can imagine them complaining if I drove a new Lexus, let alone anything else.

Neil is bang on, people only see success, moan about it and cast dispersions... what they don't see (or want to see is the risk, hard work and intelligence (read luck :biggrin ) that brought you there!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'll be at Goodwood with an Aston (not the DBR unfortunately as it's in Cambridge) on Sunday if you're around Simon, it's 'Classic British Sports Car' thing...... I'll be there from 8.30 to 10am I would have thought. Give me a tinkle on my mobile if you're there....

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBK, how'd you like the mild rumble? Did you kick it in the arse a little? How was delivery?

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
eshrink said:
(Cyclenirvana: Cycling is great. Admirable. Being in the gym is certainly a boring way to get exercise. I admire your stamina; great and healthy hobby. And, yes, my GT is well on its way to resolution thanks to a man at the factory and a local dealer. We shall see, but I remain optimistic. I need to find out if a six speed transmission was supposed to come standard. Mine has a Cruise-o-matic which they tell me was a "special option" as was the 6 cylinder engine. How cool is that?).

- doc

Thanks for the compliment. I agree with everything you said about driving your car. Driving the GT to the office would certainly put more miles on it...something that I am not likely to do...and not because I do not want to drive it! Sound like you had a "special GT"! Ha.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
fjpikul said:
DBK, how'd you like the mild rumble? Did you kick it in the arse a little? How was delivery?

Not surprisingly, I love it. You can't adequately verbalize what it's like to drive these things. Hasn't seen more than 3800 rpm and no WOT yet, gonna let it get to 500 first, as is my tradition. Usually I rack up 1000 miles within 2-3 days, but I'm gonna savor this one as long as it takes. Delivery wasn't nerve wracking at all. Why would a guy be freaked out by 20 people watching him drive away out a tight space onto a relatively frenetic road across 4 lanes? :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'm a GRRC member also, my favorite vintage race event is the Revival.
Lord March has yet to invite me up to the house for a nip or two... darm :willy