Ultimate Aero TT attempt top speed record

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The Ultimate Aero with 1183 bhp will attempt to break the top speed production car record help by the Veyon. On March 21 of this year in Elkhorn, Nevada the 2,750 lbs car is going for the gusto. As advertised, the car has a 2.33 ratio of weight/hp, a new record for a production car.

See more detail at www.sscautos.com.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I saw a blue one at SEMA 06. Interesting car.. The CD is nothing to brag about at .357. The GT is .28 ...It would be nice to see the record held by an American car

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I can't believe what a fuss people make about this car thats based on a diablo kit car?!?!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The Ford GT's drag coefficient is .39

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I spoke with the "head man" himself at SSC's booth there at SEMA. They are serious as as a heart attack about this attempt. They've "wind tunnel tested" the car to 273 mph ...and figure that 262mph ought to be pretty much a 'given' in the real world.

It'd be GREAT 2C their car best the $1.3 mil Veyron! "Twin turbo Chevy small block 'cleans the clock' of a V-16, quad turbo foreigner ...and duzzit for $600K!" What a neat headline THAT'D be!:biggrin

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I thought it was pretty cool, push the envelope, rent a deserted strip of Nevada highway, strap on the helmet and gloves, publicize, 250 mph maybe 260+, break the record, 1100 hp, danger, intrigue, glory, defeat, etc.

But then again, I like watching King of the Hill and Family Guy so maybe I'm too easily entertained.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I thought it was pretty cool, push the envelope, rent a deserted strip of Nevada highway, strap on the helmet and gloves, publicize, 250 mph maybe 260+, break the record, 1100 hp, danger, intrigue, glory, defeat, etc.

But then again, I like watching King of the Hill and Family Guy so maybe I'm too easily entertained.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The Ford GT's drag coefficient is .39

I agree with the .39. TO put it in perspective the best production car cd is the new Lexus 460 at .26.

They spent a lot of money doing that.

Dave

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
The ultimate aero is a production car?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The ultimate aero is a production car?

YESSIR!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

(VERY "limited" ...but, yes.)

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Just looked at the web site. The car is beautiful. However, check out the drivers foot area. For me that would be a problem for anymore than a hour or so. Short of the lack of a large trunk the GT is very user friendly.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
However, check out the drivers foot area. For me that would be a problem for anymore than a hour or so.

'Looks just like the Saleen S-7 foot well, duzzunt it! Dat's why I don't own wunna dem either! (That and the super w-i-d-e door sills yuh have to pole vault gettin' in and out.:ack But, the idea of sitting with my feet off at an angle to one side? No thanks. Dats fer younger peoples!)

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
'Looks just like the Saleen S-7 foot well, duzzunt it! Dat's why I don't own wunna dem either! (That and the super w-i-d-e door sills yuh have to pole vault gettin' in and out.:ack But, the idea of sitting with my feet off at an angle to one side? No thanks. Dats fer younger peoples!)

Yah, when I was 20 I would have made fun of "old guy posts" like ours. Boy I was stupid back then.:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yah, when I was 20 I would have made fun of "old guy posts" like ours. Boy I was stupid back then.:lol

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Payback time, huh?:rofl

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
on march 21st they are gonna try and go 273 mph on a 12 mile straight on highway 93A in Nevada. this is the same road that i raced my viper on last year and will be racing on again this year come June. the race i do is called the Bonneville 100 since this is a 100 mile race near the salt flats in Utah. i averaged 130 mph on this road last year and will be entering the 145 mph class this year. we race on a part of the road that has way more turns and hills then the part were the ultimate aero is gonna go flat out. here is the link to the organization that is sponsoring the ultimate aeros record speed attempt and also puts on the race > www.openroadracing.com there are a few vidz on this site that will give you an idea of what the terrain is like around there. this is the same road that in the movie "the worlds fastest indian" burt monroe took his indian streamliner motorcycle out on for some high speed testing prior to goin 200 mph at the bonneville salt flats some 50 years ago.

Attachments

• bonneville-resized.jpg
    bonneville-resized.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
well the results are in. the best of 4 passes was 228 mph on 90% throttle. apparently some minor mechanical problems kept them from goin WFO throttle. tires broke loose at 190+ mph on full boost in 6th gear :eek they said that the high speed stability was very good in spite of this. the road was a lil more bumpy than they would have liked to have had. they claim that they are gonna analyze their data and go back and try again. they think that they can beat the veyron.

it seems to me that the lack of weight in the car is causing excessive tire spin with the amount of horsepower that they are creating. more downforce in the rear might help but then this will cost speed. its hard to beat a 4,000+ pound four wheel drive car. my guess is that they won't be able to beat the veyrons speed no matter what they do.

i would like to see a saleen S7 twin turbo with 1000 hp take a run at 253 mph.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...Rats. I was really hoping they'd pull it off first time outta the chute.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The S7 probably makes too much down force and drag for an optimal high speed run.

The ultimate aero wheel spin in high gear story is not a very plausible unless there was ice on the road.

In a 1 mile run the Hennesey Viper with the same hp experienced wheel slip in the 1st 3 gears, and that was under full acceleration, which is not necessary when you have 2 miles to run the car up to top speed. At only 1 mile the Viper went 217 or 218.

I smell something fishey in Denmark

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Wheelspin just means they didn't get the aero right. See Car and Driver in the 80's testing a calloway camaro on the salt flats. Kept feeling wheel spin but for the last run of the day kept his foot in it and the car went end over end many times.

Whatever car these people have isn't production by any means. They are just trying to get publicity, which apparently they have.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Salt flats isn't an asphalt road