UK Owners ?

Exiges

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2007
UK
Hi guys,

I've been a long time lurker, and I'm impressed how helpful everyone is.

Is there a UK GT owners group anywhere ? (It's a shame that the word "UK" has only 2 letters because it prevents me searching for UK related topics on this forum :frown )

Has anyone in the UK had a GTB conversion ?

Does anyone know what exhaust Roush UK fits ?

I'm quite keen on getting an Accufab fitted, but don't know if there's anyone who supplies to the UK. :confused

Last edited:

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
There's a few of us on here. No idea what a GTB conversion is sorry, but I can tell you Roush fit Tudi exhausts.

I'm thinking of trying to get a UK meet setup, so we can all stand around and go 'yeah, mine does that too' etc etc

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Neilda is located near Goodwood and our senior member. PM him, he is very supportive of our community.

Exiges

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2007
UK
Here's info on the GTB conversion

http://www.gtbdoor.com/

Are there any sound clips of a GT with a Tubi ? I'd be interested to know how they compare to an Accufab

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Here's info on the GTB conversion

http://www.gtbdoor.com/

Are there any sound clips of a GT with a Tubi ? I'd be interested to know how they compare to an Accufab

The GTB Conversion is great, but only when installed by a factory trained tech. I would contact Mark and determine who could do this mod for you. Do not attempt it on your own.

Exiges

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2007
UK
For sure, I've read Shadowmans log of how his conversion went and there's definitely no way I'd contemplate doing it myself. Roush UK seem to do alot of work on UK cars, and since Genaddi have a good relationship with people at Ford I didn't know if Roush had done it to anyone's car.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
...I didn't know if Roush had done it to anyone's car.
Not that I've seen, and I think I've seen most UK GT's the amount of time I spend there! Ask for Dave Jones. He'll know and be able to tell you if they'll undertake the work.

Exiges

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2007
UK
Hi Phil,

I read that you were the lucky buyer of Mr Clarksons GT.. nice one ! I'd love to know how you managed that given how many other people would have wanted it. Why do you spend so much time at Roush (not gremlins I hope)

Are GTs favoured by any insurers ? Who are most people with ?

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Hi Phil,

I read that you were the lucky buyer of Mr Clarksons GT.. nice one ! I'd love to know how you managed that given how many other people would have wanted it. Why do you spend so much time at Roush (not gremlins I hope)

Are GTs favoured by any insurers ? Who are most people with ?

Hi,

To answer in order:-

1) I'm very lucky I guess :)
2) Roush play with my Noble quite a bit. I can't stop changing it so that's why I'm there, not usually the GT.
3) A couple of us use http://www.nowellandrichards.co.uk/insurance-contacts.htm and I go through Richard Nowell.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Exiges - YHM

I insure through Chubb by the way who seem pretty good.

Exiges

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2007
UK
1) I'm very lucky I guess :)

Did I read that you were at the dinner held for the lucky 28 ?

I know Clarkson/Eddie Jordan/Martin Brundle + Damon Hill were allocated one, do you know who else ?

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Did I read that you were at the dinner held for the lucky 28 ?
No, that wasn't me.
I know Clarkson/Eddie Jordan/Martin Brundle + Damon Hill were allocated one, do you know who else ?
I don't think the full list was ever made public, and it wouldn't be my place to say who was on it even if I knew. I can say that it wasn't all celebs and sports stars. I believe some people in Ford made a successful stand for a few 'normal' people to have one, people that would actually use the car and get it seen on the streets.

I'll be ever grateful to Ford's for letting me own the car. I've enjoyed every moment I've been in it :thumbsup

Exiges

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2007
UK
My mistake I was thinking of GeirKink.. (his post is below)

I'm sorry, you misundertand me, I wasn't asking you to divulge anything private, I was asking if you knew of anyone who publicly received one.

"I was at this event Jeremy Clarkson referred to in this Top Gear episode. It was a reception almost two years ago hosted by Ford of Great Britain for the twenty-eight people who Ford had selected from the (apparently 2,000) UK residents who had applied to purchase the car. The venue was a trendy and somewhat pretentious London bar/restaurant called Sketch. Clarkson was there and it was apparent that, unlike me, many of the other UK owners-to-be where pretty well known people in the UK. I found everyone I met that evening to be very nice and all were very excited about getting a GT."

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I'm sorry, you misundertand me, I wasn't asking you to divulge anything private, I was asking if you knew of anyone who publicly received one.
Ah, sorry I see what you mean.

Erm, I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head who actually went public. Of course it maybe that Ford did publish the list to the outside world and we just didn't hear about it. It seems there's lots of twists and turns to the UK car ownership stories. To be honest I don't know the full story with mine!

I know one of the 28 well, so I'll ask him about the list at some point.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I was on the list for a while - but they knocked me off in favour of some D-list celebs.

Am I bitter? :lol :bored

Not really, I got the car in the end but paid more for it. It's a shame Ford didn't choose enthusiasts for all of the 28 - one of the 28 IMMEDIATELY sold his GT for a profit. I'm not sure that was the point of being chosen really.

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
I too tried to get one of the 28, and I was certain I would be allocated one, as I have bought every performance Ford for the last 25 years, and at the time of applying my wife had the RS Focus. To my shock they did not allocate me one, or a major Ford Dealer owner that I knew either. In my disgust when I found I was not going to be allocated one, I sold the RS Focus, and I have said to myself that I will never buy a fast Ford again from the UK. When I met members of the Team RS and questioned them about the allocation and put it to them that they only supplied these cars to high profile members of the public, they refused to answer.

As it turned out, I had to wait a bit longer, but am totally satisfied now, as I imported mine direct from America.

With reference to your original enquiry about owners club, I did speak to the UK Ford GT40 club a couple of years ago, and they were willing to have anyone with a Ford GT in to the club.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I will join the UK owners club soon.

My GT is on a ship heading for Southampton. After that I think I have 6m to convert it to UK spec.
I will take it to Roush. I have been in contact with them and they charge 5,000GBP for that.

See you all soon!

Exiges

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2007
UK
Thanks for all the tips guys.

In my experience Zurich ended up being the most expensive, even with their portfolio concept and they wouldn't touch a few of my heavily modded cars meaning I'd still need to deal with more than one insurance company.

Chubb came out the victor and with a good policy (via AON)

Modo1

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2006
Hi guys, I bought mine from a UK dealer some 9 months ago. Am I right in thinking that the Ford manufacturing warranty would be effective internationally?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Should be, 3 years/36K miles. Probably need to double-check with Roush UK