UK Mods (Pictures)

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Hi Guys

You may find these pictures interesting, these are the UK modifications required to make our GT's Road legal over here.

All works have been carried out by Roush

1. Front Fog Lights

BOYS031.jpg

2. Rear Fog lights, Roush do an alternative round version which are cut into the rear bumper, I wanted my bumper to stay intact, thus opted for the square lights mounted by purpose made reackets attached to the rear frame, very neat.

BOYS027.jpg

3. New front / rear fog light switch on dash, using ford approved parts.

BOYS032.jpg

4. Side indicator repeaters (lights), boy my car needs a polish

BOYS029.jpg

5. Also included was a replacement heavy duty battery with remote charging point for battery maintenance during storage.

6. Cobra immobalizer and new keyless entry key fob. The imobalizer anti theft device is pretty cool, the car will not start without a smart card which must be on the driver within 10ft of the car. See the leds installed just behind the steering wheel, 1 for alarm and 1 for immobaliser

BOYS033.jpg

All very well done and I'm extremly pleased with the service I received from Roush, good guys.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
They are good guys - they look after me too.... interesting on the fog switch, I only have the rear fog (and no reverse light) which has a small (non-Ford) hidden lower down the dash... Roush did not do my SVA, which accounts for the small differences.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
prmoldoaks said:
...6. Cobra immobalizer and new keyless entry key fob. The imobalizer anti theft device is pretty cool, the car will not start without a smart card which must be on the driver within 10ft of the car. See the leds installed just behind the steering wheel, 1 for alarm and 1 for immobaliser...

Any more info on this? Is this the same Cobra in the U.S.A. that provides alarm systems? Sounds like something I would like to have on all my cars.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I think you forgot to show the headlight washers.

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
headlight washers not required in UK

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
prmoldoaks said:
headlight washers not required in UK
Headlight washers are required with the type of bulbs (I think halogens) that came with the headlights in the Ford UK supplied cars. Roush installed these in the twenty-eight cars that Ford sold in the UK.

Rob

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Not required for UK (Bulbs or not), SVA approval does not require this, it is a requirement for european registered Gt's only, Fords specified that all 101 european official cars should be the same with exception of the German cars. These had to have a modified exhaust box.

If you visit the DVLA web site you will find the requirements to meet UK SVA and MOT requirements, headlight washers are not listed regardlass of lighting.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
prmoldoaks said:
Fords specified that all 101 european official cars should be the same with exception of the German cars. These had to have a modified exhaust box.

that (in a to me know reported case) eventually caught/ caused fire ...! :confused

better put the borla, and drive with American plates....

slf360

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
It is widely reported that it is a legal requirement for all vehicles with High-Intensity-Discharge (HID) Xenon bulbs to have a washer system fitted in the UK and Europe generally. My GT did not have the washers for the headlamps because the Xenon bulbs were removed during the Single Vehicle Approval.

There is a bit of a grey area regarding retro fitted HID Xenons. The current UK MOT does not check for self levelling or wash/wipe on Xenon vehicles.

However the DOT (Department of Transport) states that Xenon vehicles should have self levelling and wash wipe fitted... so the MOT has not caught up with the DOT requirements. If that makes sense.

EDIT: (and apologies for being an anorak!) but found this letter from the Department of Transport on the internet:

The Department of Transport.........

Dear Sir,

The situation for Gas Discharge (HID High Intensity Discharge) (commonly known as Xenon) headlamps is complex.

I attach links to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However you will be well aware that new vehicles have Xenon headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the Xenon headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the aftermarket, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "Xenon is banned in the aftermarket" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require Xenon in the aftermarket to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a Xenon headlamp sold in the aftermarket should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3, Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

ENDS

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
OT...british humor... FERRARI FIRES F1 PIT CREW

This announcement followed Ferrari's decision to take advantage of the British government's 'Work for your Dole' scheme and employ some Liverpudlian youngsters.

The decision to hire them was brought about by a recent documentary on how unemployed youths from Toxteth were able to remove a set of wheels in less than 6 seconds without proper equipment, whereas Ferrari's existing crew could only do it in 8 seconds with millions of pounds worth of high tech equipment.

>> It was thought to be an excellent, bold move by the Ferrari management team as most races are won and lost in the pits, giving Ferrari an advantage over every other team.

However, Ferrari got more than they bargained for! At the crew's first practice session, not only was the scouse pit crew able to change all four wheels in under 6 seconds but, within 12 seconds, they had re-sprayed, de-badged and sold the car to the Mclaren team for 8 cases of Stella, a bag of weed and some photos of Coulthard's bird in the shower.
(STOLEN FROM FERRARICHAT)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That feels like a real story to me! :lol