Apr 17, 2006
I know that Dan - we do irony rather well over here! :wink

Yes you do, as well as excellent input...:thumbsup

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Hi

Buy the GT

Its a super car, I love mine to bits and will never sell it, its always going to look beautiful.

My wifes uncle lives in sevenoaks, I'm based in Suffolk.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My wifes uncle lives in sevenoaks, I'm based in Suffolk.

In some parts of the South that's a good enough reason to get married bubba! :lol

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Jon,

You know you want one!

I think I am going to beat you to it though!

I'm going to get a RED one (because I am assured by everyone that they are, without doubt, the fastest!)

Darren

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
As a matter of interest, which of the '28' is up for sale?

Last one sold I was aware of was Eddie Jordan's Black with stripes.

Just curious, like.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
As a matter of interest, which of the '28' is up for sale?

Last one sold I was aware of was Eddie Jordan's Black with stripes.

Just curious, like.

There's a Blue available at the moment but they are asking WAY too much. The cars that Jon and I are considering would be imports from the USA (where there are nearly 4000 to choose from).

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Own a Ford GT and a F430F1

Tough question.

I just traded in my Ferrari 360 for a F430 F1. I love it. I also love my blue Ford GT. Which one to pick is tough. lets walk through the pluses and minus's

The FGT Pluses:
Easier to drive
Great 6 speed (not as good as the Porsche 997 6 speed, but much better
than the Ferrari 6 speed)
Handles okay, better than a Corvette but less than some supercars
Marginally faster in a straight line compared to the F430
Updated American muscle
A bargain in cost for what it is

F430 F1 Pluses
Handles better than FGT
E-diff so it speeds up the outer wheel in a turn and whips the car around. An awesome sensation.
Electronis controls to suit your handling mood.
Electronic/magentic suspension
Better stock engine sound, solenoid opens the exhaust to full flow on power
Has an F1 option
More luxurious, leather everywhere, Daytona seats with piping
Easier to see out of and use everyday

Misc minus and comments:
All of my Ferraris have been pain free as has my FGT
FGT is cheaper to maintain then Ferrari
FGT or Ferrari investment value, which is best? I don't know
Both cause a crowd
F430 will be much more expensive. In USA about $100k more!
F430 new is impossible to get so most likely have to pay over sticker, called flippers by dealers.
F430's are just hard to get.
F430 has Spider or convertible option.
Most of my freinds who have alot of cars including Enzos love and drive their
FGT alot.
Ferrari & Lambo guys look down at the FGT untill you outrun them.
Even the 12 cylinder cars.
Not quite this black and white but driving in straight roads I like the FGT, on
the twisties the F430 is better. Actually my Lotus Sport is the best.
A month ago i preffered the FGt now I am leaning towards the F430.
I will change my mind again tomorrow.

I also have a
Lotus Elise Sport
Porsche 911 Cab
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 450 hp at 2142 lbs. A kit car
2006 F430 F1
2005 FGT
Plus other cars & motorcycles.

Drive them both then decide. I love both.

Lee

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Tough question.

I just traded in my Ferrari 360 for a F430 F1. I love it. I also love my blue Ford GT. Which one to pick is tough. lets walk through the pluses and minus's

The FGT Pluses:
Easier to drive
Great 6 speed (not as good as the Porsche 997 6 speed, but much better
than the Ferrari 6 speed)
Handles okay, better than a Corvette but less than some supercars
Marginally faster in a straight line compared to the F430
Updated American muscle
A bargain in cost for what it is

F430 F1 Pluses
Handles better than FGT
E-diff so it speeds up the outer wheel in a turn and whips the car around. An awesome sensation.
Electronis controls to suit your handling mood.
Electronic/magentic suspension
Better stock engine sound, solenoid opens the exhaust to full flow on power
Has an F1 option
More luxurious, leather everywhere, Daytona seats with piping
Easier to see out of and use everyday

Misc minus and comments:
All of my Ferraris have been pain free as has my FGT
FGT is cheaper to maintain then Ferrari
Both cause a crowd
F430 will be much more expensive. In USA about $100k more!
F430 new is impossible to get so most likely have to pay over sticker, called flippers by dealers.
F430's are just hard to get.
F430 has Spider or convertible option.
Most of my freinds who have alot of cars including Enzos love and drive their
FGT alot.
Not quite this black and white but driving in straight roads I like the FGT, on
the twisties the F430 is better. Actually my Lotus Sport is the best.

I also have a
Lotus Elise Sport
Porsche 911 Cab
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 450 hp at 2142 lbs. A kit car
2006 F430 F1
2005 FGT
Plus other cars & motorcycles.

Lee

Nice post:cheers

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
When trying to decide the same thing at a Lambo dealership the other day, the salesman told me that the only car in his inventory that he felt would go up in value was a used 05 White and Blue FGT. (Sales pitch?)
Parked a new Gallardo, 430, 360 and GT side by side, starting them up, sitting and comparing...

I bought a GT! (Not that one)

I love them all, hard decision, and they are all different.

The GT is bad ass old school muscle packaged like never before, the 430 is refined and luxurious.

Look at them both and one will turn your head ever so slightly more than the other, that is the one for you...

just my 0.02$

Cheers :cheers

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
There's a Blue available at the moment but they are asking WAY too much. The cars that Jon and I are considering would be imports from the USA (where there are nearly 4000 to choose from).

I thought Jonny was after a '28' car? The last thing I want to do is re-open the deabte about 'which is better' (as I guess everyone will have their own thoughts!), but just curious to know who's selling up their cars.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Both cause a crowd

Lee

'Loved the, "'will change my mind tomorrow", statement!!!!!! I went back & forth forever trying to make up my own mind!:lol

I've said it B4, & I'll say it again: There is only ONE Ford GT. It'll never be "yesterday's news". It'll never be "last year's model". It will never be "out of style". ('Hasn't in the last 40 years, has it?) It will ALWAYS be what it is right now - the 21st Century GT40. Period. There will be no more of them (if Ford holds to what they've said).

On the other hand (for instance), the F430 replaced the "360", which replaced the "355", which replaced the "348", and so on. The "430" will shortly be replaced too.

So, from the "investment value" standpoint, it would SEEM to be reasonable to assume (and we all know what happens when we 'assume'...) that the GT would be the better bet over the ol' "long haul" in that department. But, I don't think THAT was the main reason any of us bought one! 'Doubt it was even considered!

Your stmt about Ferrari & Lambo guys looking down on the FGT is yet ANOTHER reason I bought mine over the others! With sincere appologies to those of you who own 'em, (and to whom the label does NOT apply) there's just too much "snobbery"(?) attached to those markques. ( I outlined my first encounter with a Lambo owner in a post elsewhere here on the Forum. That guy was an insufferable, arrogant, SNOB. Sorry. But that's gospel. 'Never forgotten that ^&%#@#&! :mad The encounter tainted my view of Ferrari/Lambo ownership from that moment on. I know it pbly SHOULDN'T have - but it did.)

The "snob" label - deserved or NOT - is probably one of the reasons why one sees more attention paid to the FGT when parked beside, say, a "360" for instance. The FGT has more "blue collar" appeal (it IS a Ford, after all). BUT - that's just me talkin' ... and what the heck do I know? :shrug ( To which the entire Forum responed, "NOTHING, 'Pockets! So shut up already." Which I will now do ... possibly a paragraph or two too late...:ack )

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
well..... I think I can answer which car, the F430 or FGT will be a better investment. The answer is simple, neither one is an investment car, when someone builds thousands of anything they will not appreciate. Lets not confuse limited production Ferrari's (less than 150) with a couple exceptions, such as F40's with mass produced ones such as 308's to current.
Recently, I have read on this site of guys buying several cars as investments,... hopefully they are also not buying gold coins for an investment.
I think to many people are watching Barrett Jackson auctions on Speedvision and don't have a clue... Ok I have tossed the gasoline can in the fire, duck and cover..... incoming:lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
...oh by the way, ..... keeping pace with inflation is not part of investing.:eek

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Recently, I have read on this site of guys buying several cars as investments,... hopefully they are also not buying gold coins for an investment.

I, myself, fancy "collector plates." :shrug

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I, myself, fancy "collector plates." :shrug

Isn't that special, you'll have to come over to see my Hummels, thimbles, snuff boxes, Coca Cola memorabilia ..........not! How about investment grade shot guns, any idea what a Purdy would bring that was bought 30 years ago?? I bet it would beat any index a reasonable person would invest in.

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
It's always fun to jump into the middle of a thread...

I can't comment on collector plates, but I do believe that GT's will hold a strong residual value compared to other cars (maybe even beating inflation over the long run). Like others, however, that's not the reason I bought my GT.

Over the years I've had both collector Fords and Ferraris. Overall, I found the owners of each marque to be a mixed bag, with some I've enjoyed knowing, and some I would have left out in the cold. As a person who likes cars, that just comes with the terrritory. I would assume the same holds true for Lambo owners as a group.

So, why did I trade my Ferrari in order to get the GT? For me, it was for a reason not really mentioned yet. I live in a more rural area and there are no service facilities or shops that will even touch Ferraris, but a Ford, even a GT, is pretty straight forward with an abundance of dealers. A good friend of mine also had a GT, so it was a natural to get a red one since he had a black one! iversity is a good thing.

I do agree with others, however. The GT will always remain unique, and is not being replaced by the "next" model.

The wife, however, does collect Christmas tree ornaments, so maybe I should ask her about collectibles... John

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
It's always fun to jump into the middle of a thread...

I can't comment on collector plates, but I do believe that GT's will hold a strong residual value compared to other cars (maybe even beating inflation over the long run). Like others, however, that's not the reason I bought my GT.

Over the years I've had both collector Fords and Ferraris. Overall, I found the owners of each marque to be a mixed bag, with some I've enjoyed knowing, and some I would have left out in the cold. As a person who likes cars, that just comes with the terrritory. I would assume the same holds true for Lambo owners as a group.

So, why did I trade my Ferrari in order to get the GT? For me, it was for a reason not really mentioned yet. I live in a more rural area and there are no service facilities or shops that will even touch Ferraris, but a Ford, even a GT, is pretty straight forward with an abundance of dealers. A good friend of mine also had a GT, so it was a natural to get a red one since he had a black one! iversity is a good thing.

I do agree with others, however. The GT will always remain unique, and is not being replaced by the "next" model.

The wife, however, does collect Christmas tree ornaments, so maybe I should ask her about collectibles... John

John, great post. We are somewhat in the same boat. I live in Fresno, nearest shop to do warranty work on a Ferrari or Lambo is in Mill Valley, or SoCal. Nice long flatbed ride. Nonwarranty work is available in Silicon Valley.
It's an issue. See you have a CSX2000 car, GREAT! So far nobody has started a Christmas ornament thread, we had one going on coffee makers so I would encourage the little lady to post pictures of her pride an joy. :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Bony- Exactly. I hated to trade the 246GTS towards the GT, but it just didn't fit with the my rural Oregon situation! The local Ford dealer is two miles away, the closest Ferrari dealer is about 300.

The Cobra was originally bought from Coventry Motors in the Walnut Creek. Raced by a privateer. A fun car.

The wife's Christmas ornaments are nothing special; the Hallmark Crayola series. Most were bought for around $10, and now some are worth three times that. Overall, she's done better on her investments than I have with my car investments! John

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony- Exactly. I hated to trade the 246GTS towards the GT, but it just didn't fit with the my rural Oregon situation! The local Ford dealer is two miles away, the closest Ferrari dealer is about 300.

The Cobra was originally bought from Coventry Motors in the Walnut Creek. Raced by a privateer. A fun car.

The wife's Christmas ornaments are nothing special; the Hallmark Crayola series. Most were bought for around $10, and now some are worth three times that. Overall, she's done better on her investments than I have with my car investments! John

John, I would never sell my Dino, I had a strong #2 in 1975, just recovered the chairs (burst the seams with my fat ass) and I think that alone cost me $1000 and then sold it for $12k. Bought it from FAF in Tucker, Ga, waited until 1980 and got another one, still pisses me off when I think of all the guys in 911S's that waxed my doors off,... but love the lines on that car.

I have to know your CSX car, I was deeply involved with SCCA San Francisco Region during your car's hay days.

My collectibles are great for the soul, and lousy investments. I buy stuff because it make me happy, I turn to investment professionals to help me plan my future, fortunately none of them collect cars, wines, coffee makers
or Pez dispensers:lol :biggrin :lol

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Bony- PM sent with additional info. John