Two Post Lift

racer22

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2013
Just bought our first GT but haven't taken delivery yet. Want to put it on the lift at my shop but only have two post lifts. Is there a way to use a two post lift without damaging the underside. Thanks

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Just bought our first GT but haven't taken delivery yet. Want to put it on the lift at my shop but only have two post lifts. Is there a way to use a two post lift without damaging the underside. Thanks

Yes - it's been done. use the search routine.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
More importantly, what did you pick?

racer22

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2013
debtdrives: if you're referring to what GT I picked. 06 Tungsten with 5500 miles. Bought it from Marv Rose, a GT & Viper broker in Fresno. I've known Marv for many years through car events; I'd recommend him. Only test drove the car and will take delivery next week. Can't wait to surprise my teenage sons. (hide the keys). Should be a nice addition to our 67 Shelby Fastback and 68 Shelby convertible. Thanks for asking

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
My car is lowered and I need ramps under the rear tires to get the process started on a two post. Drive into and a little past the lift then back up onto some Race Ramps (or eq) that will let you get to the rear lift points, the fronts are easy. When you lower, you'll need to lower onto the ramps of course. Eventually you will tire of this and get a 4 post.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
For a 2-post lift, use the lift points circled in yellow:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?26685-Lift-points&highlight=Lift+points

Cooltech makes nifty dowelled pucks to prevent damage to the frame members:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford/gt_lifting_pucks.shtml

Or you can use 2x4 scraps cut to fit these lift points.

You should get the service manual.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Congrats on the new addition! Are you a Fresno-ite? Marv told me he's sold GT's to about 15 locals but I've yet to meet any of them.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Yes, I was referring to what GT you picked. Very nice! Enjoy it.

racer22

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2013
Thanks for the pointers. I'll contact Kendall at Cooltech for the pucks. Kendall was very helpful in my purchase process and his son Ryan drove up to perform the PPI. Yes Bonehead, I'm here in Clovis. We'll have to get together sometime. Thanks again to all posters; this forums great.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks for the pointers. I'll contact Kendall at Cooltech for the pucks. Kendall was very helpful in my purchase process and his son Ryan drove up to perform the PPI. Yes Bonehead, I'm here in Clovis. We'll have to get together sometime. Thanks again to all posters; this forums great.

Excellent! PM incoming.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
You will probably need some extension arms or homemade extensions because almost all standard two post lifts won't reach.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
GT Guys use a tw0-poster.

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
I use a two post Rotory lift. It works great. It works best if I back it in. I use hockey pucks on the lift points in the back. This gives clearence to get the belly pans off. The front arms do not reach the factory front lift points, so you place them right at the edge of the wheel well. This is supported by the fram and is very strong. I have had no deflection of the forward belly pan doing this.

The GT needs to be raised an inch to clear the lift arms in the rear. So I drive the rear wheels onto a 2X12 before placing the lift arms under the car. When finished I lower back onto the 2X12's and the drive off them. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Ford GT 053.jpg
    Ford GT 053.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Ford GT 037.jpg
    Ford GT 037.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 112

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i am buying a Bendpak 4 post lift next year. it is an extra wide model that can lift my superduty, etc. the model # is HD-9XW

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I use a two post Rotory lift. It works great. It works best if I back it in. I use hockey pucks on the lift points in the back. This gives clearence to get the belly pans off. The front arms do not reach the factory front lift points, so you place them right at the edge of the wheel well. This is supported by the fram and is very strong. I have had no deflection of the forward belly pan doing this.

The GT needs to be raised an inch to clear the lift arms in the rear. So I drive the rear wheels onto a 2X12 before placing the lift arms under the car. When finished I lower back onto the 2X12's and the drive off them. Hope this helps.

lol, i have that same Ferrari poster framed and hanging in my garage as you :eek

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
Love that shot. Back before Nigle became a whiner.

Another shot of the GT on a two post. Note the 2X12's on the floor to get the needed clearence.

Attachments

• Ford GT 063.jpg
    Ford GT 063.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 116