Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Deserves it's own thread

The assets and advantages of Ford

The assets and advantages at Ford

November 23, 2008

1. CEO Alan Mulally

Since arriving from Boeing Co., Mulally has been helping to eradicate Ford's culture of political infighting. He has worked to promote teamwork and confidence within the company, and is regarded as a focused advocate of Ford's turnaround plan.

2. Quality improvements

According to Consumer Reports magazine, Ford's reliability "is now on par with good Japanese automakers," such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co.

The magazine lauds Ford for continuing "to pull away from the rest of Detroit." Now, Ford just has to get that message to consumers.

3. Telematics leadership

Consumers are still catching on to the impressive technological advances inside a Ford vehicle.

But Ford's continually improving Sync technology, which was developed with Microsoft and allows drivers to communicate with their phone and audio system using voice commands, remains unique in the market.

Ford has said it remains committed to staying ahead in this area, too, as mobile electronics continue to become a bigger part of Americans' daily lives.

4. Safety

Ford has the most 5-star government crash safety ratings of any automaker. In September, it passed Honda for the most top safety picks from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Ford recently introduced MyKey technology, which helps parents encourage teens to adopt safer driving behaviors through safety-belt usage, lower audio volumes and a limited top speed. MyKey will become a standard feature for many models in early 2009.

5. Improving fuel efficiency

In addition to the Focus, which gets a combined 27 miles per gallon, the new Ford Fusion hybrid will beat the Toyota Camry hybrid by 6 miles per gallon, Ford says.

Ford's president of the Americas, Mark Fields, has said Ford's product development team is committed to making its future vehicles "meet or beat the competition in fuel economy."

Ford has glimpse of a road to recovery

Ford has glimpse of a road to recovery

Even if federal loans refused, automaker has edge over rivals

BY SARAH A. WEBSTER • FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER • November 23, 2008

Last week's hearings on Capital Hill lumped Detroit's automakers together as desperate enterprises so troubled that they must submit business plans to Congress to prove they are worth saving with emergency loans.
Advertisement

But ever so subtly, Ford Motor Co. is separating itself from its crosstown rivals, General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC.

Still a troubled company that is hemorrhaging money -- nearly $24 billion during the past three years -- and losing market share, Ford is regarded as the healthiest of the three companies, as UAW President Ron Gettelfinger last week told Congress. The automaker also is making strides in fuel economy and the safety and quality ratings of its vehicles, and its new F-150 pickup -- a company profit leader -- is expected to do well after sales rebound from the toughest market in 25 years.

Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally told Senate and House committees he wasn't even sure that Ford, which had $19 billion in cash at the end of September, would need federal assistance.

"I think we can make it through this recession, if it doesn't get worse," Mulally said. "We believe we have sufficient liquidity to make it through this slowdown."

Mulally, who left Boeing Co. to become Ford's CEO in September 2006, said the automaker joined in the request for aid only because it might need the money if the economy worsens and because a collapse of GM or Chrysler could take down parts suppliers, which would ultimately seize up operations for Ford, too.

Sales down, but quality up

Despite Ford's precarious position, as the company waits for the political and economic climate to shake out, automotive analysts and Ford dealers also told the Free Press there are signs that the company's condition could improve in the near term.

While Ford's sales are down 18.6% through October compared to the same period a year ago, the company is making gains in key areas.

For much of the year, the Ford Focus compact car, which averages 27 miles per gallon and comes with optional cutting-edge Sync telecommunications and entertainment technology, climbed the sales charts. So far this year, the vehicle built in Wayne is up 20.5%.

Now Ford's perennial breadwinner, the F-150, has been revamped and is earning rave reviews, a promising sign that could help Ford pull ahead of its sluggish crosstown rivals. The F-150 is part of Ford's best-selling F-Series lineup, which still makes up about one-fourth of the company's sales and a disproportionate amount of the company's profits.

Ford has made documented gains in safety, quality and fuel economy that it needs to have sink into the public consciousness, bolstered by publications such as Consumer Reports. Ford's Fusion midsize car was even selected for the cover of the magazine's best cars issue.

"Everybody is aware that Ford's quality has gone up," said Terry Kidd, who owns Kidd Ford Lincoln Mercury outside of Nashville, Tenn.

As Mulally sat in front of Congress, flanked by his needier counterparts at GM and Ford, he repeatedly tried to emphasize the unique position of Ford and the "clear vision" it has for the future.

As the executives were collectively grilled and flogged for their companies' past failures, Mulally repeatedly emphasized: "We're in a little different position."

Might not need loans

Financially, Mulally told Congress that Ford does not intend to tap the federal loans if it doesn't have to. Shortly after Mulally became CEO, the company mortgaged its assets, from the F-150 brand to the blue oval logo, to ensure a line of credit for its turnaround. That has put it in a better liquidity position than GM and Chrysler.

"If the economy starts to go down, we would have to access that money, too," Mulally told a House committee. "How much we would access would be dependent on how far the economy and the industry degrades."

Passing on the federal loans might prevent the company's shareholders from having their stock further diluted if the company is forced to give the government stock warrants in exchange for the loans.

Shares of Ford closed Friday at $1.43. Just four years ago, Ford shares traded in the mid-teens and paid dividends of 10 cents every quarter.

The stockholders, of course, include the Ford family.

While the family would still retain its 40% supervoting power through its Class B shares if stock warrants were issued, the family has already seen the value of its shares plummet.

What's more, Ford stopped paying dividends in September 2006 -- when Mulally was hired and the company revised its Way Forward turnaround plan for the second time.

If Ford could make it through this downturn without federal money, it could escape jumping through all the hoops that Congress is setting up as an obstacle course to receive loans.

Faint praise from lawmakers

While most members of Congress seemed content to lump Detroit in one basket and bash them together, a few lawmakers had almost-kind words for Ford.

While criticizing Detroit's boardrooms for being "famously devoid of vision," Sen. Chris Dodd, the Connecticut Democrat who chairs the U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs, added: "Clearly there have been exceptions. Ford was arguably ahead of the market when ... they saw a big future in the fuel-efficient and alternative energy vehicles."

Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., who was particularly critical, also noted the distinction.

"My sense is that Ford has done a better job and is in a slightly stronger position," he said. "GM has made some changes, but is spiraling downward, and I know it's a private company and results aren't available, but Chrysler barely has a heartbeat.

"I wonder why we're talking to three companies. ... Seems to me that that premise to begin with is very flawed. Now obviously you all have been involved in a pact."

David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research, said all of Detroit's auto companies are in the emergency room and need help, but Ford just isn't as badly injured.

"They've tried to walk that fine line: We need it, but we don't need it that badly," Cole said.

Revamped F-150 gets raves

One of the biggest reasons to hold out hope for a strong Ford turnaround, dealers and automotive experts told the Free Press, is the launch of the 2009 F-150 pickup.

"I know Washington doesn't want to hear about pickup trucks," said Erich Merkle, a senior automotive analyst with Crowe Horwath in Grand Rapids. But, he said, "Ford is very well positioned in that pickup truck segment when it ultimately starts to rebound."

Already, dealers across the country told the Free Press that F-150 sales are off to a better start than expected.

"It's doing fantastic," said Jason Pittack, co-owner of Woodhouse Ford in Blair, Neb. His dealership is No. 1 in Ford pickup sales, with more than 2,500 sales annually.

"Farmers are having their best year in many years," he explained. "The people that need trucks, they're coming in and zapping them up."

For that reason, Pittack is one of several dealers who think Ford is going to do just fine.

"Regardless of what the press is saying, I think Ford is in a good position," he said.

Kidd said he's so confident in Ford that he's been gobbling up a lot of Ford stock, as well as that of key parts supplier Visteon.

"I feel great," Kidd said of Ford, noting that his truck sales have been strong since gas prices started dropping again. "I truly believe in it. ... I'm not looking for it to turn tomorrow, but in the long run. I think Ford is making tremendous strides."

Contact SARAH A. WEBSTER at 313-222-5394 or swebster@freepress.com.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
better call your broker on Monday and buy more F

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
FoMoCo Separating Itself

Visited the SF Auto Show yesterday. Though we were able to see all of the offerings in record time, it was most sad to have so very few people in attendance. Ford clearly has an edge over the other domestics. It was visible and noticeable to me, there on the floor. The new F150 looked awesome.

Last edited:

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Oops, repost. I believe the point is, as most of us here know, FMC is in a bit of a different place than the other two. The challenge is getting that message through to the American public amid all of the media noise which paints all domestics with the same ugly brush. Quite simply, Mullaly & others, need to beat that drum at each & every media opportunity. Ford good news won't garner quite the attention of the toxic print the media relishes to report; however, if it's trumpeted enough, some of it will reach the consumer. Most Americans discern no difference between the Big Three. Let the education lessons commence.

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Thanks Dave I dont get that paper.

Hope you don't mind but I spread it around to a few other sites:wink

Oh and when I saw the way cool robot laser welding cell putting the F-150 together I could not beleive it was so good they dont even have to sand it before painting. No longer is the rubber roof rail rubber insert needed either........very cool looked like something from the future.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Thanks Dave....both articles were great and I read in the paper too. I took delivery of my new 2009 F-150 4 weeks ago and have about 2000 miles on the ODO...what a great truck.

The good news in only reported here in Detroit with regard to Ford. The rest of the drive-by media just love to continue to bash us.
As ALoha says...'we need to keep pushing the info to the media.'

My Ford Executive group has Alan Mulally as our guest Speaker on December 9, 2008. It will be interesting to hear his comments in person.

AJB

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Thanks Dave....both articles were great and I read in the paper too. I took delivery of my new 2009 F-150 4 weeks ago and have about 2000 miles on the ODO...what a great truck.

The good news in only reported here in Detroit with regard to Ford. The rest of the drive-by media just love to continue to bash us.

My Ford Executive group has Alan Mulally as our guest Speaker on December 9, 2008. It will be interesting to hear his comments in person.

AJB

What I would give to be a mouse...........

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

AJB

I really dislike the press. No other country has a press corp that is as self loathing as ours. They love to bash all things American. Every article I have seen in our local paper (a liberal mullet wrapper) about the auto business implies that only US auto companies are suffering in this market because their products are "crap". Sometimes buried in the articles they mention as an afterthought that Japanese auto sales are down substantially as well.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'd say the British are almost as bad. The BBC is definitely not what I'd call an impartial institution.

As for the Detroit News, it's horribly ironic. The News/Free Press has spent years gleefully reporting anything they can to make the Big Three look bad, but now that it looks like one or more might actually go down in flames, taking their already massively dwindling readership with them, they are tripping all over themselves to play nice.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
found this....

Fuel Efficient Products are Key to Ford’s Progress.

The 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid will be America’s most fuel-efficient mid-size sedan, delivering at least 39 mpg – which is at least 6 mpg better than Toyota Camry Hybrid.

2010 Fusions equipped with the I-4 gas engines will deliver at least 33 mpg, which is at least 3 mpg better than the Honda Accord and 2 mpg better than the Toyota Camry.

2009 Ford Focus, with highway fuel economy of up to 35 mpg – which is better than the smaller 2009 Nissan Versa and equal to the Toyota Corolla.

2009 Ford Escape, with a new 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and six-speed transmission delivering best-in-class highway fuel economy of 28 mpg – ahead of the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V.

The 2009 Ford Flex’s front-wheel drive highway fuel economy is unsurpassed in its class.

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid, delivering 34 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway, making it the most fuel-efficient utility vehicle on the market.

The new 2009 Ford F-150 delivers unsurpassed fuel economy and capability, with 15 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on the highway.

Setting Ford Apart

Leveraging global portfolio to deliver six new world-class small and mid-size vehicles, starting in 2010.

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury lineup to be almost completely upgraded by end of 2010.
o

2009 Ford F-150, which is now on sale.
o

2010 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, Lincoln MKZ sedans, on sale in spring 2009.
o

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and Mercury Milan Hybrid on sale in spring 2009, doubling vehicle production and the hybrid lineup.
o

New Ford Mustang – coupe, convertible, and glass-roof models – in spring 2009.
o

New Ford Taurus sedan – with EcoBoost engine/advanced safety/convenience technologies – in mid-2009.
o

New European Transit Connect small multi-purpose van in mid-2009.
o

New Lincoln seven-passenger crossover – with EcoBoost engine – in mid-2009.
o

New European Ford Fiesta, in both four- and five-door versions, in early 2010.
o

New European Ford Focus, in both four- and five-door versions, in 2010.
o

New Mercury small car in 2010.
o

Next-generation Ford Explorer – with unibody, EcoBoost, up to 25 percent better fuel economy – in 2010.

Increasing car and crossover products to 60 percent of Ford’s lineup, versus 30 percent in 2006.

Ford plans to be the best or among the best in fuel economy with every new product in its segment.

Hybrid vehicle production and lineup to double in 2009.

EcoBoost V-6 engines, Ford’s new engine technology that provides 20 percent better fuel economy with 15 percent fewer CO2 emissions, introduced on several vehicles in 2009, beginning with Lincoln MKS, Ford Taurus, Ford Flex. Four-cylinder EcoBoost engines will debut in 2010. Ford will offer EcoBoost on more than 80 percent of its North American lineup by the end of 2012.

Ford to double capacity for North American four-cylinder engines to more than 1 million units by 2011.

FORD’S DOMESTIC BRAND QUALITY IN STATISTICAL DEAD HEAT WITH TOYOTA AND HONDA FOR 2008 MODEL YEARFord, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles continue their impressive quality gains, collectively improving for the fourth straight year and moving into a virtual tie with Honda-Acura and Toyota-Lexus-Scion for the 2008 model year, according to the latest U.S. Global Quality Research System (GQRS) study.
Ford F-Series Super Duty and Lincoln Mark LT rank atop their respective segments with fewest “things gone wrong” (TGW) and in customer satisfaction. Ford Mustang GT500 had the least number of TGW among sports cars.
Overall, 18 of 24 Ford domestic brand vehicles posted TGW improvements, including the hot-selling Ford Focus, which matched the Toyota Corolla.
DEARBORN, Oct. 10, 2008 – Ford Motor Company’s surging domestic quality is now equal to the best in the industry for the 2008 model year, according to the latest U.S. Global Quality Research System (GQRS) study.

Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles collectively reduced “things gone wrong” (TGW) by 7.7 percent compared to last year and are now statistically equivalent with Honda (including Acura) and Toyota (including Lexus and Scion) atop the list of seven major automakers in the survey.

From 2004 to 2008, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicle quality, as measured by a reduction in TGW, has improved by 33 percent.

”This is One Ford at its best. It's taken thousands of people continuously working together with laser-like focus every day to boost vehicle quality for our customers to the top of the pack,” said Bennie Fowler, Ford group vice president, Global Quality. “But this is a never-ending journey. The goal now is to distance ourselves from our top competitors. We want to be the sole quality leader."

The 2008-launched Ford F-Series Super Duty and the Lincoln Mark LT ranked first in their respective segments in both TGW and customer satisfaction. Ford Mustang GT 500 topped the sports car category in TGW.

Overall, 18 of 24 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles recorded TGW improvements. Ford's newly launched Focus improved significantly in TGW and customer satisfaction, now equaling the Toyota Corolla in both categories. The Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan are significantly better in TGW than the Toyota Camry, which they tied in customer satisfaction.

"We are consistently delivering improved quality by following standardized, disciplined processes throughout Ford," said Fowler. "This is particularly impressive considering the difficult challenges we've had to overcome."

Ford also ranked best in class for TGW performance in the functional areas of Vehicle Engineering and Electrical among major manufacturers. Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles averaged 1,287 TGW per 1,000 vehicles, a reduction of 108 versus a year ago. Customer satisfaction with the company's vehicles reached its highest level ever, improving one point to 77 percent.

The 2008 model-year GQRS survey, conducted for Ford by RDA Group of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., solicits feedback on vehicle trouble and customer satisfaction from owners of all major makes and models after three months in service.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Another point,
The Ford family is a monarchy they own half the WORLD!!!!!! Thats why they will make it, dig up the old shots with henry planting rubber trees in south america, or factories in india,japan, FROM THE EARLY 30'S its still a family buisness. The 100 family members are not going to give it up......enjoy gtjoey 1314:thumbsup

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I'd say the British are almost as bad. The BBC is definitely not what I'd call an impartial institution.
Yup. They actively search out the bad stories, make them sound worse than they really are, and when they have a guest on that explains why the situation isn't as bad as the reporter makes out, they just don't know what to do so ignore them...

We have a free press. Free to make up any old story....