Trickle charger

xpresso

GT Owner
Feb 25, 2007
Paradise Valley, Arizona
What do most GT owners do to keep their batteries from dying besides driving it regularly? Is there a factory trickle charger made specific to the GT and how easy is it to hook it up?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is there a factory trickle charger made specific to the GT and how easy is it to hook it up?

YUP. THERE'S ONE THAT COMES WITH THE CAR. IT'S IN IT'S OWN POUCH IN THE "BOOT" WITH THE CAR COVER. ALL YOU DO IS PLUG INTO THE POWER PORT BESIDE THE START BUTTON & PLUG THE TRICKLE CHARGER UNIT ITSELF INTO A WALL OUTLET. 'COULDN'T BE SIMPLER.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
All GTs were shipped with a wall-wart type float charger. Magically, some of these disappeared before the cars found their owners. I believe the charger can be ordered from a dealership.

Cool Tech offers a GT-specific float charger solution using superior electronics, higher charge power, as well as charge-light indications of state (idle, conditioning, etc.) There's a specific kit for '05 cars, '06 cars, as well as a generic kit which is intended to be used via the cigarette lighter - just like the factory solution.

xpresso

GT Owner
Feb 25, 2007
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Thanks for the insight. That does sound pretty easy.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
All GTs were shipped with a wall-wart type float charger. Magically, some of these disappeared before the cars found their owners. I believe the charger can be ordered from a dealership.

Cool Tech offers a GT-specific float charger solution using superior electronics, higher charge power, as well as charge-light indications of state (idle, conditioning, etc.) There's a specific kit for '05 cars, '06 cars, as well as a generic kit which is intended to be used via the cigarette lighter - just like the factory solution.

I would rather obtain one of these generic kits for use with my Viper, and save the GT one for the GT, although mine never sits for more than a day or two. Do you know where these can be purchased, or was wall-wart supposed to mean Wall-Mart and I can get one there? :lol

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
I ordered the factory charger and discovered there wasn't alot to like about it other than the long cord. I also ordered a much better charger from Beach-GT, a Forum member, who owns a business called Suntech in Seminole FL. The one from Suntech is great - it's the only one I use with confidence.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Thanks! I sent him a PM but he only has 164 posts so I hope he sees it. I'm gonna google Suntech but if you have a link I'd appreciate it! :thumbsup

[Edit] Well, I guess I've only got 210 so he must come on here some! [/Edit]

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would rather obtain one of these generic kits for use with my Viper, and save the GT one for the GT, although mine never sits for more than a day or two. Do you know where these can be purchased,

You can read more details about the float chargers and order them from this page http://www.cooltechllc.com/servlet/Categories?category=%2705-%2706+Ford+GT+Products

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
This is great! Ordered one now! This site rocks as do you guys! :thumbsup

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I like the Ford OEM trickle charger; simple, clean, works. Got another from Muscle Motors for $79

http://www.musclemotors.com

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
get the battery tender plus works great i use it for my cars.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I know this is off topic....and would fry our electronic codes...but this thing is cool as a jumper.

"Technically speaking the Porta-jump Re-chargeable will deliver up to 11 amp hours of cold cranking power; and 30 volts of ready starting power"

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/.../s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=portajump

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Can't figure out how many amps its got.

Most likely, not enough. I would imagine that there are few valid scenarios where you battery is *just* a little too dead and a small device like this has enough uumph (technical term, I know) to bring you back into the start zone.

The old reliable push start is probably more effective but a little harder to self-administrate - and certainly not as clandestine as this referenced device.

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
A real good charger is the schumacker. It is available at any auto store and it supplies 1.5 amps charge rate. Also has led indicators.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Go to any Harley shop. $42 if I remember right. And it says Harley on it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Schumacker is a good charger that's been around awhile and has established a good reputation. The Harley charger is a re-branded Deltran Battery Tender unit with an extra charge (no pun intended) for the Harley logo. Neither of the units are packaged with a cigarette lighter adapter - though it is optional on the Tender units and probably on the Schumacker as well. The Ford GT factory supplied float charger is capable of 500mA and with undetermined origin of the float logic/electronics (if any). (I suspect that it may not cycle at all.) The Battery Tender Jr. (most popular) can ramp-up to 750mA if/when needed and has very solid electronics for determining which mode to run in for optimum battery maintenance. Also has 5-year warranty. The Schumacker has a 1500mA max output and likely good switching electronics. So, the Schumacker wins the power-output contest of these Float chargers, but it is also the largest and for its primary mission of maintaining (not charging) a battery, the extra uuumph may not be meaningful.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have a couple of these mounted on the wall in my garage with long leads. Works great.

Attachments

• 4gt.JPG
    4gt.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 58