trickle charger

JimmyK

GT Owner
May 27, 2008
Lafayette, California
Hi Guys, Help. The trickle charger that came with my 05 - that plugs into the electrical port on the dash does NOT keep my battery charged. Does anyone have the same problem, or am I doing something wrong, or how can I fix? Thanks much, Jimmy K

H

HHGT

Your 6 year old battery is probably shot. Many of us have gone the DieHard way to prevent a potential gauges issue.

TX GT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
San Antonio, Tx
What does the brand of battery have to do with guage issues?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

The honest answer is no one really knows if it does. It's just a theory at this point.

H

HHGT

One of many threads.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ternative-gauges-for-the-FGT&highlight=gauges

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
It may be a good idea to get an aftermarket charger with indicator lights to have a better idea of what is going on with the battery.

H

HHGT

Cooltech here on the forum sells them

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Cooltech here on the forum sells them

I have one of the Cooltech chargers. Design is brilliant - and I agree having indicator lights is quite beneficial. I've always kept my cars on some sort of battery tender.

This fall, I replaced the original Optima (working well) battery with a new Diehard. 6+ years on an OEM battery seemed like a lot.

You could check the fuse on the cigarette lighter (pardon me, the power point). Mine was blown - so even if the original charger was working - it would not have charged.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yes the original charger has no lights and no feedback. You could test it with any voltage gauge. I still use mine but have several batteryminder chargers too.

One of which just went up in smoke after only 3-4 years of use.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have one of the Cooltech chargers. Design is brilliant - and I agree having indicator lights is quite beneficial. I've always kept my cars on some sort of battery tender.

This fall, I replaced the original Optima (working well) battery with a new Diehard. 6+ years on an OEM battery seemed like a lot.

You could check the fuse on the cigarette lighter (pardon me, the power point). Mine was blown - so even if the original charger was working - it would not have charged.

I bought the Cooltech kit too. I really like the access port at the front. I had an equivalent charger that was a little beefier (900ma, I think) so I continue to use it. It has a Power (red), charging (yellow) and charged (green) light so I can tell what it is doing.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
My original OEM charger went bad right after I purchased the car new. Replaced under warranty... The original battery was also replaced by the dealer after testing bad. Seems my car did the dealer circuit for a year ( 3 dealers- 2 showrooms), so the battery was never on the charger...

I have found that if the Optima battery (mine) is not on the (OEM) charger , after about 1-2 weeks the battery will not start the car. If I keep the charger on the battery, I never have a problem...

It would be nice to have indictors lights( Cooltech charger) . CTEK also makes a very good charger for both types of batteries and has a design feature to slow charge the GEL/ Optima battery's from a low energy state..The Battery Tender from Cooltech may do the same.

There is a good post here for reviving the GEL/Optima with a link to the manufacturers technical video.

The Diehard battery is of a different design, probably has more capability of holding a charge off the charger. (your mileage may vary)

There seems to be a significant energy drain on the electrical system while to car is not operating. This tied with the characteristic of the GEL/Optima battery has lead to the opinion that voltage/energy spikes during recharging of the battery has lead to gauge failures.( Multiple is some cases).

An excellent replacement gauge package put together by a forum member and offered by Speed Hut is available to replace/store/preserve the OEM (expensive) gauges in a hope that this problem is addressed/fixed in the future.

Most people have also switched to the Diehard battery.... I have not heard of any gauge failures after the switch... (which doesn't mean that some have not failed)

Talking with Kendall (Nota4re) at Cooltech will answer/fix your problems..

My .01

Someday I'll have .02, LOL

JimmyK

GT Owner
May 27, 2008
Lafayette, California
Thanks for all the input guys. I conclude that if your are going to use an Optima "Ford GT" battery - it is best to use the OEM charger in the dash power plug after testing the power plug's fuse. I am stuck on the GT Optima because of so many opinions that one should leave the GT as stock as possible - particularly when it has very low mileage - mine has 400mi. Any other thoughts? Thanks much. Jimmy K

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Did the same, just to be on the safe side. Put the OEM Optima into a marine type case and use it occasionally in the van to power equipment. Still runs great. About once every 5 weeks, I'd run the OEM charger for about 1-2 days. Never had a problem with the OEM.

Sears Platinum seems fine too.

Also use Battery Tenders on any other vehicles that need a deeper charge, with fine results.