Trickle Charger Question

Heritage

GT Owner
Feb 4, 2011
Coconut Grove , Fl
I realize this subject has been beaten to death. How is the best way to connect it to the car to have the least impact on the gauges? Is there a better after market one?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
To avoid the possibility of a surge, connect the two-conductor pigtail before pluging the charger into a 120v outlet. I can't spek to the best type but I use Cooltech's Chargeport Float Charger Kit which I like.

Upon further thought ..... I'm the guy with 3 failed gauges so you may want to hold off for other input.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Use OEM charger that came with FGT. Plug into power-point on FGT IP. Then plug into the 110V outlet in garage.
I Have done this since winter 2006 (February) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
--no gage issues
--no battery issues
--still have original battery in the car
(I do plan to get a new battery (die-hard Platinum) this spring since the battery is now 6 years old.)
ajb (andy)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I use deltran into the power port ("cigarette lighter").

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I have used multiple-bank battery tender with terminals directly to battery on both our cars since new. I have changed both batteries, last year in the 2005 and just this past weekend in the 2006(both at the 6 year mark when changed). The 2005 has had 3 gauges drop out the 2006 has had none. The cars sit side by side and are on the same battery tender circuit. From my experience can make no statements that hook up type, method, or circuit makes a difference regarding gauges.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
OEM charger

The biggest risk to chargers is "owners lazy ass"

Most buy shiny pig tails, set up port, keep in box......then the one time they come back from long track day, hot date or dont feel like opening hood.....boom, they dont and forget for 1day-6mo.

Then its too late.

OEM you leave plugged in wall 24/7/365/6yrs, 25 ft cord sits on edge of gargae floor, you pop in cigarette lighter DONE.