Transporting and Driving a GT in Europe

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
So I just got back from a vacation in Europe (got home the day the volcano erupted!). While driving some of the awesome roads over there, I naturally found myself daydreaming about my GT. For example, in Germany I discovered that a 2010 diesel Volvo station wagon (rental) starts to wheeze at about 200 kpm. :banana I still got passed by the big Mercs and Audis, even at that speed. I'd also dearly love to photograph the GT in Maranello, at the Ferrari gates. I think that's already been done, but it wasn't by me.

I'm making plans for next summer. Does anyone here know the process of transporting and then driving an American car in Europe for a few weeks? I'm serious...

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I know nothing about what you want to know but that sounds like a ball. I am particularly fond of Italy and that would make for some incredible pics/experiences. Hope it works out for you. :cheers

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Look for the thread concerning an organized trip to Europe with support provide by Roush UK. The plan was to fly the cars over and tour Europe and go for some high speed drives. There was quite a bit of posting relating to the European trip.

Some logistical issues to consider are what happens if you cut a tire? The local Goodyear store may not be around the corner.

You may also want to ask a couple of the European guys, Neilda for one comes to mind about logistics.

Have fun

Dave

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
PM sent to you.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
So I just got back from a vacation in Europe (got home the day the volcano erupted!). While driving some of the awesome roads over there, I naturally found myself daydreaming about my GT. For example, in Germany I discovered that a 2010 diesel Volvo station wagon (rental) starts to wheeze at about 200 kpm. :banana I still got passed by the big Mercs and Audis, even at that speed. I'd also dearly love to photograph the GT in Maranello, at the Ferrari gates. I think that's already been done, but it wasn't by me.

I'm making plans for next summer. Does anyone here know the process of transporting and then driving an American car in Europe for a few weeks? I'm serious...

There are probably a few dozen ways to ship your GT over to the UK, all of them probably costly. However, driving one in Europe would not pose too many issues other than in the UK where we drive on the left. The GT in the UK does need careful driving.

Rob G of this forum (can't recall his screen name, he's in Boston) had his GT in Europe for quite a while, he took the Maranello shot. He might be able to give you some advice on shipping the car across the pond - also about his experience of driving in Europe too, from a USA perspective.

If there's anything specific I can help you with, you have only to ask..... :cheers

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
GT in Europe

W. Mitty,

Neil is referring to me in his post above. Before moving back to Boston from London three and a half years ago I drove my GT 5,500 miles in eleven days throughout Europe. Racetracks like Le Mans (with Neilda), Goodwood, Spa, the Nurburgring and others. I also visited the Ferrari and Lamborghini factories, Monaco, Flanders Field, the Alps, etc. It was an incredible trip that I’ll always remember (the shot inside the Ferrari factory gates is below… check out my photo gallery for some additional pictures of the trip). Very much worth the effort and expense for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I shipped my car from London to Boston using a very good carrier called First-Air (www.first-air.com). They ship a lot of race cars and have a very good reputation. My car was sent by boat in its own container (a must). It took about four weeks and the total cost was about $5K (one way to Boston) at that time. As I recall air transport was significantly more expensive but First-Air can do that as well.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• Ford GT at Ferrari factory.jpg
    Ford GT at Ferrari factory.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 183

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Mitty, transporting your car to Europe is extremely expensive. Air shipping will be close to $30K (roundtrip), unless you want to wait for space available. Insurance is the next big hurdle, costing about $1K/week if you can find someone that will insure it. You can ship by freighter, crated, for about $10K, but takes about a month to get there and you have to get it to a port. If it goes to the UK, there's VAT to pay, plus some kind of licenses, you need someone there to accept it if you're not there on the spot and other complications. When we looked at going to LeMans a few years back, the costs just kept getting higher and higher. We gave up in frustration, especially as a diverse group from multiple locations. Good luck in your quest, and please keep us informed as to what you find out.

Frank

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses. Like most of my hairbrained schemes, it looks like it will take a bit a brainwork, but I'm gonna try to make it work. $30k for air shipment no workey for me...it would be impossible to get a kitchen pass (spousal okay) for such an extravagance. (I think she's still smarting from the $9.00 Diet Cokes we bought while sitting at the Cafe de Paris in Monte Carlo). Container shipping may be the way to go. The insurance thing sounds like a royal pain in the fanny.

Still, it would be a once in a lifetime experience, and worth the price of admission if only to drive in the left lane on the Autobahn and flash a few of those big Mercs out of my way at 300 kpm. Yankee doodle, comin' through:banana.

I love Britain, but I don't think I'd have the brass to drive the wide GT on some of those narrow, picturesque country lanes, on the other side of the road, in a left hand drive car. I get a pucker just thinking about knocking the mirrors off!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I love Britain, but I don't think I'd have the brass to drive the wide GT on some of those narrow, picturesque country lanes, on the other side of the road, in a left hand drive car. I get a pucker just thinking about knocking the mirrors off!

:lol

It is a bit like that at times. I do it regularly, the worse angle is roundabouts and T junctions turning left....

Ah yes.... Le Mans with Geirkink. The man's a nutter! :biggrin :cheers It was a lot of fun.