transmission problem hard shifting when warmed up. Any ideas no problems when cold.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My car has had the 1-2 crunch in all the years and miles I've owned it (6+years, 25000+ miles). Changing fluid makes no difference, bleeding clutch makes no difference, fitting transaxle cooler makes no difference, I believe its an inherent design issue, my old Ferrari Dino was exactly the same. The solution is to wait a heartbeat between one and two, works every time.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
...I believe its an inherent design issue...
I could accept that if all GTs were like that. But as far as I can tell, the majority do not have this issue.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I could accept that if all GTs were like that. But as far as I can tell, the majority do not have this issue.

If you shift to soon this also might be the issue. You can shift without the clutch if you shift at the right time. Slow shift. Try shifting at 5000 rpm even at mid throttle.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Mine does have a bit of a crunch during the 1 - 2 shift only when its cold. After it warms up just a bit, it never does it again. The cold 1-2 crunch is inherent in the design. After its warmed up, it should not do this. It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. Like the fluid needs flushing and bleeding.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
If you shift to soon this also might be the issue. You can shift without the clutch if you shift at the right time. Slow shift. Try shifting at 5000 rpm even at mid throttle.
Just a little background on me. :biggrin

I have been driving for decades, most of my cars are what I would call high performance/stick shift. I have won 11 road racing championships. I am probably one of the few V-8 Radical drivers that does not use paddles. I feel there are not many people better with a clutch and transmission. :wink

Please believe me when I say the crunch to 2nd in my car is not right. (Unless everyone else is not telling the truth about their transmissions.) :thumbsdow

Now, I use light pressure and ease the transmission into 2nd gear to avoid the crunch. It should shift from 1st to 2nd like all the other gears. There is no crunch on a 3rd to 2nd downshifts. Hence my question about cables.

And yes, rev matching is a way to go from gear to gear. Unfortunately, what is normal in a dog ring gear box with no syncros, like my Radicals, can be very bad on a "normal" factory transmission. I don't do that anymore. :eek

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Mine does have a bit of a crunch during the 1 - 2 shift only when its cold. After it warms up just a bit, it never does it again. The cold 1-2 crunch is inherent in the design. After its warmed up, it should not do this. It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. Like the fluid needs flushing and bleeding.
Yes, it is definitely much worse when cold. But still there when warm. I don't see how the clutch would need bleeding for only second gear. And the pedal is no where near the floor and feels fine, not spongy. But I will bleed it anyway and see if that helps. (As soon as it gets a little warmer again) :biggrin

We had a little snow in Las Vegas today. Who would have thought it? :eek

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bart, there are old, long threads about this issue. Most people do have this problem. Yours is not unique. If I remember correctly, it's the dog. It usually goes away after warming up. Many people suggested a 1-3 shift until warm. It is the design. You can do a search for the threads.

See Neil Resslers's post from 9/11/2013.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Unfortunately, what is normal in a dog ring gear box with no syncros, like my Radicals, can be very bad on a "normal" factory transmission. I don't do that anymore. :eek

What bad about rev matching on a trans with syncros?

BTW my car also is harder to shift from 1st to 2nd, but the problem goes away after about 1/2 mile or less.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I suggested clutch flush and bleed as it fixed hard shifts on mine. Although I also had difficulty with first and reverse when sitting still. 3rd and up were no problem. The fluid near the slave cylinder cooks and degrades over time. Its very close to the exhaust. Check the fluid in the master cylinder, if its not completely clear, its time for a flush. One odd thing about the GT is that the fluid moved through a full stroke of the clutch pedal is more than what is contained in the lines between the master and slave cylinder. This has the effect of the fluid being mixed along the full system over time and not stagnating.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
What bad about rev matching on a trans with syncros?...
When I was talking about rev matching, I was talking about shifting without using the clutch. Dog ring gears have less teeth, wider spacing between teeth and are made for this. Not using the clutch with a factory transmission tends to chip the teeth until something breaks.

I am not opposed to rev matching using the clutch. It is easier on the transmission, but adds time. This is normally done on down shifts, as up shifts are usually taken care of by the syncros and the fact that the RPM naturally drops as you go up a gear. You can also shift into neutral, rev match for the RPM of the gear you are shifting to and use the clutch again to go into gear.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed not using the clutch. :facepalm:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When I was talking about rev matching, I was talking about shifting without using the clutch. Dog ring gears have less teeth, wider spacing between teeth and are made for this. Not using the clutch with a factory transmission tends to chip the teeth until something breaks.

I am not opposed to rev matching using the clutch. It is easier on the transmission, but adds time. This is normally done on down shifts, as up shifts are usually taken care of by the syncros and the fact that the RPM naturally drops as you go up a gear. You can also shift into neutral, rev match for the RPM of the gear you are shifting to and use the clutch again to go into gear.

:agree:

I used to shift my motorcycle without a clutch all the time, especially when the clutch cable broke. Starting from a dead stop is the only a minor trouble on flat ground, but impossible uphill.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011

Well I never do this in the Gt but have done it in other cars as a test to see if it would work.

My car also has this cold. I did replace the fluid with the blue stuff. The older Ferrari's have the same issue until the fluid gets warm and it was not uncommon to skip 2nd until warm. You did say it only happens after it is warm?

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
... You did say it only happens after it is warm?
No, much worse when cold. But still there when warm.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
No, much worse when cold. But still there when warm.

Do you have the transmission cooler?

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Not installed, but it shifts better when warmer.