Transmission GONE?????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

racer X

GT Owner
Nov 4, 2005
Whats up so far

thanks to all who have posted with interest and concern. Also, thanks again to the GTGuys (Rich and Dennis) for calling with your insight and first hand knowledge of the car.

The Bolts....those damn bolts. Yep that's the problem. The two bolts on the half shafts. For what ever reason, they seem to go. When they do your just out of luck. The car won't move not an inch.

Ford's answer is to install some more Ford bolts, only this time don't torque them so much. That seems to have been the problem. And that is what the dealership is saying I should do. New bolts and washers, this time don't torque them so much.

Interesting though is....the dealer says, this is not the first one they have worked on, okay, but last time the bolt broke all they did is find a new nut. Yep, the bolt broke with enough thread on it...and all they did is put on another washer and nut onto the broken bolt. Not exactly the fix I would be hoping for if it were me.

There is another, better in my opinion, answer. Again in speaking to others with knowledge, and a little over my head. But here goes...First do both sides not just the one that broke, there are two. If the bolts or washers or torqueing is off why wait for the other side to go. Second, use an upgrade in he washer or nut and bolt's don't use the Ford spec's. Third use a wire to secure once installed to make sure nothing moves.

I'll see if I can get some pics to post. I will try to get over and take a look. It seems as though the fluid spill left quite a mess. I will also let you know how much Ford is willing to pick up and how much they will not. I of course will be correcting the problem as I choose, probably not in line with Ford's solution. I am also not going to wait for it to happen to the other side. I'll fix both now.

As you all know my GT is an '05 vin#1380, current millage is about 7,800. I heard this could be an issue in all '05's and some early production '06 models. Just an FYI

Thanks

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Steve, absolutely make sure they do BOTH SIDES! If they do one you'll end up facing the same problem. I don't know why some dealers are doing only one side when SVT tells them they have to do both.

Sorry you had to deal with this whole ordeal :bang

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
X.... sorry this happened. I'm waiting for my half shafts to drop out any day. I called the Ford dealership in Weatherford and they are getting me the replacement kit. Even if it is not covered under warranty, I'm going to have it done including safety wiring. Steve T, you may want to get Southwest Ford to do you car also, since you live that direction. AC

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
racer X said:
Ford's answer is to install some more Ford bolts, only this time don't torque them so much. That seems to have been the problem. And that is what the dealership is saying I should do. New bolts and washers, this time don't torque them so much.

Am I the only one curious what torque setting they are recommending now? Because if they have changed their specs all of us who had the work done already may have to get the bolts re-torqued. :bang

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
I'm interested in "Centrepunch" comments, on the drawing they appear to be "Socket headed cap screws" not studs and bolts?

Now washers either?

Can anyone confirm this is the case, can you torque sucessfully a "Capscrew"?

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Spoke to the local Ford dealer(not the one I bought mine from). They had not heard of the problem and since there is no recall nor TSB they would not cover it. It would be on my dime if I want it done.

Stu

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
RADGT said:
Spoke to the local Ford dealer(not the one I bought mine from). They had not heard of the problem and since there is no recall nor TSB they would not cover it. It would be on my dime if I want it done.

Stu

I feel for you; that dealer sucks. There is NOT a TSB on it now, I'm told - I thought there was but that was a misunderstanding. BTW the bolts are only torqued 22 ft/lbs so that is nominal.

What you might want to do is remove the 6 bolts and cover to inspect whether you have the black hardened washers on your car. If you do it should be OK. I had mine replaced, safety-wired & loctite-d to make sure.

Last edited:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Well around here they call it customer service, :wink and customer retention. A worthwhile investment by the dealer.

Last edited:

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
RACERX YOU OWE ME 67,500 NEXT YEAR ANY WAY ,ILL BUY IT!!!! :thumbsup GTJOEY

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
READ DBKS OFFICAIL POST WITH FRED TOMORROW :thumbsup

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Mush Box

RacerX - at least when mine went to mush I was able to coast into a parking lot. Pushing the GT is "heavy work". And no place really good to push on.

Sorry to hear you had The Problem. But it was good to hear that you've been putting on the miles. Less work = More GT (s)miles.

Regards from Seattle

RedGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 21, 2006
Foxfield, Colorado
bolts

When mine broke, I was only a couple of blocks from home. Ford service wouldn't assure me the GT would be kept indoors and told me it was up to the tow truck driver what he would do with it since it was on a Sunday. Not wanting it to sit on a tow company's lot overnight, I wanted to take it back home. My son reached in and slid the axle back in and I drove it home. I had not lost any fluid and didn't shift it till I got to my driveway. When I put the clutch in, the axle slid out again. Not sure if that would work all the time, but might be helpful if anyone breaks in a dangerous location and needs to move their GT.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thread Consolidation

DBK-

The axle bolt problem has grown to a level of significant importance to many, many GT owners and Forum participants. We all await your posting on your talk highlights with Fred G to hopefully provide some clarity on which transaxles are affected and what is recommended to the car owner population.

Since this topic is contained within two General Discussion threads ("Axle bolt answers, finally" & "Transmission GONE??????") as well as one in the Technical Discussion thread, could we close out all but one thread so we do not have to search multiple threads to see the latest comments on this topic?

Thanks, and waiting to review your post.

Bill

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
How close is far, how far is close..

RedGT said:
When mine broke, I was only a couple of blocks from home. Ford service wouldn't assure me the GT would be kept indoors and told me it was up to the tow truck driver what he would do with it since it was on a Sunday. Not wanting it to sit on a tow company's lot overnight, I wanted to take it back home. My son reached in and slid the axle back in and I drove it home. I had not lost any fluid and didn't shift it till I got to my driveway. When I put the clutch in, the axle slid out again. Not sure if that would work all the time, but might be helpful if anyone breaks in a dangerous location and needs to move their GT.
Do I have to worry, now that I drive mine currently 5000miles away from my Dealer where I bought it ? :eek
Even flat out all the time on the transoceanic highway, it would mean 25 hours of non stop driving.. now don't tell me that is just a day's drive away... :biggrin

Ciao

Stefan

racer X

GT Owner
Nov 4, 2005
Going to get GT

I will post again later today as to what exactly was done. I got a call from the Ford Dealer saying it's ready to go.

Here's what I know so far...Both sides have been done. New heat-treated, non-Ford spec. bolts have been installled. Lock washers (?), again not the Ford specs. No wire was placed through the bolts, as added protection. I beleive this is all at Ford's expence and will be covered. It appears as everything is done correctly, the way I wanted and Ford picked up the cost. When I see the car and the receipt I will know for sure. The only thing I know of that did not happen is the wire, to lock in the bolts for extra security.
Which I can have done later, I think?

I'll let you know.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SLF360 said:
Do I have to worry, now that I drive mine currently 5000miles away from my Dealer where I bought it ? :eek
Even flat out all the time on the transoceanic highway, it would mean 25 hours of non stop driving.. now don't tell me that is just a day's drive away... :biggrin

Ciao

Stefan

Stefan, I spent the '60's on the transoceanic highway, I think, don't recall much of the '60's..... way to much Beefeaters with Chartruese floats and other stuff... so tell me more about the ride :biggrin :wink

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
racer X said:
I will post again later today as to what exactly was done. I got a call from the Ford Dealer saying it's ready to go.

Here's what I know so far...Both sides have been done. New heat-treated, non-Ford spec. bolts have been installled. Lock washers (?), again not the Ford specs. No wire was placed through the bolts, as added protection. I beleive this is all at Ford's expence and will be covered. It appears as everything is done correctly, the way I wanted and Ford picked up the cost. When I see the car and the receipt I will know for sure. The only thing I know of that did not happen is the wire, to lock in the bolts for extra security.
Which I can have done later, I think?

I'll let you know.

Glad to see your back on the road, enjoy the ride :thumbsup

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
FILL UP THE TANK BABY , YOUR LEADING THE CHARGE FROM TEXAS, NEXT TIME JUST POP THE CLUTCH A LITTLE BIT SLOWER :biggrin LOVE YA BABY , TOLD YOU IT WOULDNT HURT. NOW RIDE ON MY MID LIFE BUDDY!! :thumbsup GTJOEY

racer X

GT Owner
Nov 4, 2005
Dealer Work Order

I picked up my GT...

First thing I notice is milage in/out a difference of 10 miles(thats a long test drive) I'll bring that up when I call. Just clad to have it back at this point. Put about 14 miles on so far can't tell a difference(yea).

Second thing I notice is on the work order it list the correct vin, but also Ford Mustang, not a big deal I guess.

Third is entire job is covered by warranty. I paid zero, and the bill back to Ford is about $655. That is for both sides.

The detailed reciept states the cause "bolts broken in flange MT7B468 6.0 R&I axles, remove and replace hub flange on both sides, remove lower valance, clean fluid contamination MT7B368 M-time". Then it lists the parts used for bolts and washers, along with 3 qts of trans fluid(seems like a lot).

Have not had a chance to look at the work. I assume it looks fine and the clean up and after work area is not a mess. I will let you know.

Last thing I notice is they also list a "multipoint inspection & GBK brake checked" not sure what that envoled nor why they performed but again, I guess Ford is looking out for me????????

Hope this helps.....

HOGDEALER

GT Owner
Nov 19, 2005
Coos Bay, Oregon
Is this an 05 problem only. Mine is a very late 06. :confused

Status
Not open for further replies.