Transaxle Noise at idle

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Hi Gang,

I have just started driving my GT (500 miles) and have noticed that, at idle, there is a bit of noise that seems to be coming from the transaxle. I am not all that familiar with transaxles. Is this a "normal thing"? The noise sounds like a bit of a gear rollover noise.

On another note. I am sure lovin the car! It is a bit freaky having people drive beside you with one hand on their wheel and the other holding a video camera or phone camera. I am not used to that and it kinda gives me the eebe jeebies!:eek

Rob

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I think you answered your own question regarding the tranny noise. I had the same concern early on in GT ownership. I too have had many people snap pictures of my car on the road. You never know where you may see a picture of yourself. It is kinda scary.

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Thanks IsaakGT. I was just a bit concerned about the noise. Took a buddies 10 year old for a ride tonight. Before today he was a vette fan. I think he is converted (although I think the vette is an awsome vehicle).

Rob

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
(1) The noise sounds like a bit of a gear rollover noise.

(2) It is a bit freaky having people drive beside you with one hand on their wheel and the other holding a video camera or phone camera. I am not used to that and it kinda gives me the eebe jeebies!:eek

Rob

(1) There have been questions raised about this B4. 'Seems they all do that as Tony implied.

(2) Welcome to the FGT world, Rob!:lol 'Wonder how many GT owners will be 'stars' on "U Tube" whether they like it or not?:lol
I take it you haven't had the car parked at a restaurant yet. You're not going to believe the zoo THAT usually creates... (You might wanna keep an eye on the car anytime it's parked... assuming you haven't already come to that conclusion. :willy )

Larry

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Same here

Rob,
I posted the same question a few months ago. Search for transmission noise and you get plenty of detail about this item. Enjoy the ride!:thumbsup

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Rob your fellow canuck here from Ontario. I guess the snow finally melted!! :willy 500 miles. Have you been on holidays?? :lol I have 1862 miles on mine now and WAY more to come!!!:banana :cheers
I get a fair amount of tranny / screw (supercharger) noise from mine as well.

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Yep I've been driving my ass around Europe. Started in Italy, took a ferry to Greece, then headed North through Macedonia, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, and back to Italy. I ended the trip at the finally of the Grand Prix. Unfortunately I left on the day that the Italian Moto GP was on.

I am glad to hear that this noise is common. Makes me feel alot more settled.

Thanks for the welcome Empty Pockets. I have been to a reastaurant with the GT. Actually I went out with a couple of buddies the other day and we parked all three Gt's as we sat for a bit. It is a real zoo. It's a bit too bad that people like to look with their hands. It's like their brain says "shiney.....must touch!"

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Actually I went out with a couple of buddies the other day and we parked all three Gt's as we sat for a bit. It is a real zoo. It's a bit too bad that people like to look with their hands. It's like their brain says "shiney.....must touch!"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Then you HAVE been initiated! Didn't take long, did it! :lol

(Watch the "touching" thing...especially at 'shows. 'Don't wanna sound paranoid [even though I am], but I've had the ol' "brake fluid on a thumb" stunt pulled on me in the past. :bang 'Just a "heads up." )

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Nice trip Rob. I hope it was all for pleasure and you had good company along the way.
I go to quite a few car shows and no matter how many "do not touch" signs you put on the car there are always a few that do. I guess they didn't learn "You look with your eyes not your hands"!!
Always have an eye, (3 or 4 is better), while your baby is parked.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thought I was the only paranoid overly protective GT nut!!!

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
I can't believe that someone would stoop to putting brake fluid on your car "empty". That is really low!

It is really strange psycologically to park the car and watch someone walk towards it. You think to yourself, "they won't dare touch it".....Next thing you know they are pawing it all over. I painted my mustang last year (67 GT Fastback).. It was a 32 000 paint job (yes, I know....ridiculous). Right afterwards, I had a friends wife who was over looking at it, slap the side with her massive wedding rings on. I heard, Click, Click.

Then, to add to the grief, a buddy of mine (who should have known better) wanted to check how stiff my front shocks were. He did chest compressions in the flat part of the upper fenders. We aren't too close anymore!

You guys have a great week/weekend. I am off to Coeurs D'alene tomorrow for the "Car D'alene" show. It is always a good go.

Rob

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Rob, did you get the wheels done? Let us know how they look. I just want to see my contribution :wink

I actually kinda regretted selling the wheels and ended up with another set for my street tires.

Mine just started making some transaxle noise at idle. Goes away at WOT though. :biggrin

Bruce

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Hi Bruce.....Good to hear from you. I have only been home for a week so I have not had time to get to the wheels yet. They do look really good. I have had the tires taken off. Next week I will get them media blasted and prepped for paint. I am looking forward to the project.

I am sorry that you have a few regrets. If it makes any difference, I am grateful for your help.

I will post pictures when I get a chance.

Tonight I took a friend for a ride. Put the hammer down and the car went a little squirrely!!! It felt really good!!! Easy to control.

Have a good one,

Rob

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Oh yah, I took my Ducati 999R FILA for a sprint today too. I hate to say it but, riding a Duke is about the best feeling that a guy can have. That bike is just crazy!!!

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Hi Bruce.....Good to hear from you. I have only been home for a week so I have not had time to get to the wheels yet. They do look really good. I have had the tires taken off. Next week I will get them media blasted and prepped for paint. I am looking forward to the project.

I am sorry that you have a few regrets. If it makes any difference, I am grateful for your help.

I will post pictures when I get a chance.

Tonight I took a friend for a ride. Put the hammer down and the car went a little squirrely!!! It felt really good!!! Easy to control.

Have a good one,

Rob

No real regrets at all - just giving you a little grief for the good deal, that's all. :wink I'm happy to do business with you. I took mine to the track the other day and got a couple sessions in before it rained hard. I highly recommend getting that thing on track! It's great.

bb