Transaxle Fluid not available?

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Stupid me drained the tranny and now need some fluid. Called multiple local dealers, all said it is not available anymore (Motorcraft 75-90 synthetic), and that the replacement is 75-140 synthetic and an additive is needed. Does anyone know if this is indeed correct? GTGuys, please help!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I think you got bad info. I have at least a case in stock. PM me if you need some.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Seach the forum and get the Ford part number then the dealer will be able to find the right oil. Some guys just don't spend the effort to research the right oil or part for the customer.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
I think you got bad info. I have at least a case in stock. PM me if you need some.

I called a couple more dealers and they too, could not find this stuff. I knew someone would have some old stock sitting around I mean really, who would need to change their transaxle fluid within the last 3 years that the supply has dried up? I'm sure it's sitting around out there but it is no longer in the Ford parts database. I have PM'd you.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Seach the forum and get the Ford part number then the dealer will be able to find the right oil. Some guys just don't spend the effort to research the right oil or part for the customer.

I did give them the proper part# XT-75W90-QGT and none could find it. I even told him I have a half quart of this stuff sitting right in front of me (remaining from the transcooler install).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I did give them the proper part# XT-75W90-QGT and none could find it. I even told him I have a half quart of this stuff sitting right in front of me (remaining from the transcooler install).

What happened to the 10 year supply of parts that Jamal spoke about. We can't even get oil! Maybe when if Ford prices the remaining stock at $100/quart it will last the 10 years. I hope this is just an error from the dealers you spoke with and the oil is really still available.

BTY, I reseached getting the motor oil from Conoco/Phillips where Ford oil comes from. After calling many numbers it turns out the motor oil is only available if you order a huge quanity, something like 500 gallons, essentially OEM only. The good new about the motor oil is that the Shelby GT500 uses the same oil, so that should be easy to get. Anyway other companies are making a 5w-50 anyway.

Magnaclese

Oct 8, 2007
Fyi

If you can't find it through a dealership, find the local bulk oil distributor or Ford Authorized Distributor (FAD) that sells motorcraft parts. A few dealerships would rather not bother with some of Fords' Synthetic stuff, so they may blow you off.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Just looked on the Motorcraft site under lubrication and it still shows this fluid on their website. Who knows when it has been updated. All I know is that I have called 5 local dealers and all 5 said it doesn't exist anymore and apparently there is no cross reference to another replacement fluid. I wonder if any other 75-90 synthetic would be OK like Mobil-1, Redline, Neo, etc.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Just looked on the Motorcraft site under lubrication and it still shows this fluid on their website. Who knows when it has been updated. All I know is that I have called 5 local dealers and all 5 said it doesn't exist anymore and apparently there is no cross reference to another replacement fluid. I wonder if any other 75-90 synthetic would be OK like Mobil-1, Redline, Neo, etc.

Don't panic doc ... call Maurice at Duval Ford. He is an expert on FGT parts and also exteds a nice discount and will ship the parts anywhere. He's also a very nice guy and goes out of his way to be helpful. Duval Ford is in FL and the number is (800) 342-9940.

Please post how you make out before others have a coronary.

usmcfred

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
First, let me say Thanks for everyones help especially Torrie, Kendall, and the GT Guy for being able to hook me up with some! I was finally able to get some locally but here's a synopsis of how it all transpired.

Dealer #1 Sorry we don't show that part number. you have to use 75-140 now and add an additive

Dealer#2 Sorry, that fluid is no longer made. Use 75-140 with additive

Dealer#3 Sorry, that's not available anymore and I don't know what fluid replaces it. It's not in the computer or in the book. You have an expensive car and I wouldn't want to give you the wrong fluid. Sorry

Dealer#4 It's not made anymore, can't help you

Dealer#5 (See dealer #1)

I call back dealer #1, here's our conversation

Dealer: Hello, this is Tom

Me: Hi, I called earlier about some transaxle fluid and I spoke to someone that could not locate it, was that you?

Pause...odd silence (15 secs pass)

Me: Hello, is anyone there?

Dealer: (Finally) Yes, what do you need?

Me: Since you can't locate the fluid, can you please give me the number to the area Motorcraft distributor so I can talk to them myself.

Dealer: Why do you want the number, the fluid isn't made anymore.

Me: Maybe it isn't made anymore but I know there's got to be an old supply of it somewhere that hasn't been used. The GT is only 3 yrs old and I doubt anyone has even changed their transaxle fluid yet, so you can't tell me that previous stock would be all gone. I know someone has it.

Dealer: The distributor won't sell to you anyway

Me: Well, that's the fluid I want and I won't use anything else.

Dealer: Just give me your number and I'll call them myself.

Me: OK, 555-DUMY

Dealer: I'll call them and if they have it, it'll be a fluke

(OK I'm a little perturbed now)

Me: A fluke? What do you mean by that? Are you telling me that just because it isn't made anymore, that they would throw their remaining stock away?

Dealer: (Complete silence and ultimately no answer)

Me: Look, I'm not trying to be difficult, all I know is that the owner's manual specifically states using this exact oil. The bottle I have even says on the back, "Designed, engineered, and recommended for use in the Ford GT transaxle. It's an expensive vehicle and I'm not going to put anything else in it except what's recommended.

Dealer: Ok, that's fine (he kind of chuckles) I'll call you back.

15 minutes later......

Me: Hello, this is Jeff

Dealer: I got the oil and already ordered you 5 quarts which you can pick up tomorrow.

Me: (Biting lower lip, wanting to say "So was it a fluke?") but instead say, "Thank you, I'll pick it up tomorrow. Goodbye"

So, I still don't know for sure if it's still being produced or not. I just know that he got a hold of some and I'll be able to drive my car again.

LESSON LEARNED: Don't drain your transaxle by accident when doing an oil change!:thumbsup One of the most stupid things I've ever done! DOH!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Sadly common responses I have received from some of dealers I called when looking for GT parts. Parts are available, but the parts guy doesn't want to spend the time to find them! The oil I didn't have any trouble with.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
jdoc7-
Good for you! Some dealers are just dummys.....
And do NOT use any other fluid in the transaxle other than the Motorcraft synthetic fluid (which comes specifically from Ricardo). You were absolutely correct to push for the manual recommended fluid.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Motorcraft synthetic fluid

Be careful to get the right oil. There is a Motorcraft Synthetic 75w90 that is NOT the right oil. Our is a Motorcraft PREMIUM Synthetic 75w90 that IS the right oil. Best to confirm with the part number printed on every bottle: XT-75W90-QGT

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
The saga continues:bang:bang

Went to pick up the oil and it was the wrong one!!!! Wrong part number!!! It was 75-90 rear axle fluid but not for the GT!!! How hard is it to order the right parts? I give you a number, you get that number, everyone is happy. My 5 year old can follow this simple concept. Why, why, why is that so hard for some people? I talked to the Parts manager who was actually helping me while the moron who ordered the stuff was out to lunch (lucky for him!) The manager got on the phone and within 5 seconds, had a case located and would be there in the morning. Literally 5 seconds and it was a done deal. I guess that's why he's the manager and not the other guy. Sorry for the rant but I'm tired of incompetency, complacency, idiocy. Just get me my oil so I can DRIVE! If they get the wrong oil again....

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Wow, less than $1.25 a quart plus shipping. But that is more than a lifetime supply for even those with 4 GTs!

Casper

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2006
Great Falls, MT
Transaxle oil change

I just had my transaxle oil changed, along with the engine oil. The shop foreman didn't have any issues with getting the transaxle oil for my car. Had the transaxle oil & the engine oil sent out to Blackstone Laboratories. Results good on both. Trying to figure out how to attach the PDF oil files info so I can send to Fubar. I don't see any kind of attachment "paper clip" type icon on this site. Any ideas on how to attach the files??? :confused
Mark
2005 #1756

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Trying to figure out how to attach the PDF oil files info so I can send to Fubar. I don't see any kind of attachment "paper clip" type icon on this site. Any ideas on how to attach the files??? :confused
Mark
2005 #1756

Mark - when you "Post Reply" as into this thread and the reply window opens up in the next lower box marked "Additional Options" there is the "Attach Files" and "Manage Attachment" option where you upload from your PC where the file is located on your PC...

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I think the biggest frustration we're going to experience is the friendly Ford Dealer :rofl