TransAxle Fluid Leak

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
John,

I look forward to partaking in another GT GUY event; hopefully it will go as well as this year's. Let me know how I can help; and I found another Virginia owner last week. I was at a place called Yea Old Tire and Welding shop, or something close to that, up in Elkridge, as they are experimenting on a wheel for me, and they had another owner call in a couple days earlier. I called and he was not aware of this forum, which I recommended to him, and I'll call him again when I am not behind the wheel and get him into our local group.

Pete S.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Well, I thought I'd update this thread now that I have a bit over 1,000 miles on the car since the welding of the transaxle case. I popped off the rear diffuser tonight to take a look as I began hearing a bit of rattling, the type caused by debris between the engine cover and the transaxle housing. I was happy to see the weld looks good and is dry. The read transaxle housing gasket and on smaller gasket on the side or the rear housing were thought to be ruined during the welding, and they used some type of grey form-a-gasket instead of new gaskets: they are both leaking. So what happens is the minute amount of transaxle fluid collect on top of the engine cover; and as it's faily sticky, every small rock and everything else collects on the fluid and begins to jam between the transaxle main case and the engine cover. Every time the engine is slightly twisted on an easy start, a gear change, stopping, etc, a crackle is heard.

Anyone have a source for transaxle gaskets?

Pete S.

Aug 25, 2006
Well, I thought I'd update this thread now that I have a bit over 1,000 miles on the car since the welding of the transaxle case. I popped off the rear diffuser tonight to take a look as I began hearing a bit of rattling, the type caused by debris between the engine cover and the transaxle housing. I was happy to see the weld looks good and is dry. The read transaxle housing gasket and on smaller gasket on the side or the rear housing were thought to be ruined during the welding, and they used some type of grey form-a-gasket instead of new gaskets: they are both leaking. So what happens is the minute amount of transaxle fluid collect on top of the engine cover; and as it's faily sticky, every small rock and everything else collects on the fluid and begins to jam between the transaxle main case and the engine cover. Every time the engine is slightly twisted on an easy start, a gear change, stopping, etc, a crackle is heard.

Anyone have a source for transaxle gaskets?

Pete S.

Hi Pete

I just sent you another email with all of the information needed.

Takes care

Shadowman

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Thanks, Shadowman, for this and all support you provide.

Pete S.

. . . and don't stray too far from the phone if I start to pull the unit in my garage . . .

Aug 25, 2006
standing by...................

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks, Shadowman, for this and all support you provide.

Pete S.

. . . and don't stray too far from the phone if I start to pull the unit in my garage . . .

You're a brave man!

I'd rather see gruesome medical photography than a Ford GT in 'kit form'. :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK Neilda, how gruesome do you want to get?

Attachments

• colon1.JPG
    colon1.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 81

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Frank is that what you are cooking for dinner tonight?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I was just chewing on my last bite of a turkey sandwich during a late lunch right now when I got this photo in my brain. Thank you, thank you very much! OK, you have me... what is it?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
This is the cecum and ascending part of the colon (i.e. large intestine) with a very large, fungating tumor present. So far the patient has done well (this is several years old). David, sorry to ruin your lunch. I personally don't eat or drink while reading this Forum.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
PS, for you amateur pathologists, if you look to the left of the big tumor, you will see another, rather large, tan, lobulated polyp.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I agree that there are most likely certain items best left untouched by my hands on these cars; but with the support I have had from Shadowman, Rich & Denis, and others there is no mystery. That being said, my garage space is not huge, and I would have to get some help to remove the clamshell and borrow a cherry picker for pulling out the transaxle. I looked quite closely at the area this morning, and unless the leak is more severe than I see it right now, I will tackle this as well, but wait until the second week in June to start as I have signed on to many events including Carlisle and feel it can wait. There is little more satisfying than being able to completely maintain and repair ones own vehicle.
Pete S.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
There is little more satisfying than being able to completely maintain and repair ones own vehicle.
Pete S.

+1

Last weekend was the shifter installation. The pulley swap and computer recalibration will commence as soon as the Mrs. takes the kids to the in-laws for the weekend.

Good luck, Pete.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
PS, for you amateur pathologists, if you look to the left of the big tumor, you will see another, rather large, tan, lobulated polyp.

Nice.

Thanks. :biggrin