TransAxle Fluid Leak

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
There have been others finding small leaks in the half shaft and breather areas. This is a bit different and I will not have a definitive answer as to a small crack or a porous case for a few days. Even with the unit out we cannot "see" a crack, the fluid simply appears to pool right through the case, in a very small amount. It will be X-rayed and repaired locally, and I'll be certain to provide updates.

So far: http://home.comcast.net/~skatesharpening/trans001.htm

Pete S.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
It will be X-rayed ..X cellent pics & info Pete :thumbsup

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Very interested to see the results of what you find.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
just wondereing, I thought I had the same thing, but when I put the transaxle cooler it stoped, do you have the cooler also? If not I would recommend that before going through the trouble of xraying parts.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
just wondereing, I thought I had the same thing, but when I put the transaxle cooler it stoped, do you have the cooler also? If not I would recommend that before going through the trouble of xraying parts.

Just what I was thinking - either the cooler or the vent.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
wonderful web site, very informative and well done.
keep us posted.
love the two question rule for spectators... :)

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Today, it is revealed that this is one of the 'speedy sleeve' early '05's. What an interesting fix on these cars. I have of course compiled the second round of images, highlighting the sleeve, and will continue to keep updating as work progesses. The mechanic at Sheehy (auto stores) Ford, Courtney, is doing some fine work, in my opinion.

http://home.comcast.net/~skatesharpening/trax01.htm

Pete S.

p.s. The coffee on the frame is for my New York brothers.
The partially chewed corn is one of those garage rodent leftovers.

Last edited:

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
wonderful web site, very informative and well done.
keep us posted.
love the two question rule for spectators... :)

That is so true. While doing my axle bolts with the mechanic at the local Ford dealership we were inundated with people stopping by asking questions and gawking. The poor mechanic had no chance of making the "book time" for the repair.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
That is so true. While doing my axle bolts with the mechanic at the local Ford dealership we were inundated with people stopping by asking questions and gawking. The poor mechanic had no chance of making the "book time" for the repair.

I think for most work on these cars, there isn't much book time figured out yet. The appeal will probably never get old.

Pete S.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Could the leak be traced back to the car being RED?????

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
Could the leak be traced back to the car being RED?????

You bad.:devil

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hey Pete, check this tread out for your used X pipe. I know 1-5 is not available any longer:biggrin but 6 & 7 may still be available. I will let you know how the new horsepower turns out as soon as it arrives and as soon as I put things together:banana:banana

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13209

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Pete, this is not good news but will be fixed soon!! Are you still under factor coverage?

John

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Pete, this is not good news but will be fixed soon!! Are you still under factor coverage?

John

Warrantee expired Sept. 5th. If this is the worse that can happen after 3 years, no problem, and I feel that this will be the exception and not the rule. That being said, I suppose I should have looked into the tiny leaks sooner.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Okay: the next set of photos showing the welded case and the new rear main seal in place. The end is in sight, or the next begining.

http://home.comcast.net/~skatesharpening/traax01.htm

Pete S.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Great pics / info..I had my 911-964 case welded similarly works out AOK :thumbsup

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Done!

It looks like the welder did a fine job on the transaxle case. The dealer's mechanic was instructed to and did pull off the old speedi sleeve and put a new one on, with the new cover plate having the seal already pressed in. I do hope the rest of the speedi sleeve'd GT's out there get more than 20,000 miles between replacement. Warranty is up, or was for me; and I can only say I should have driven it or trailered up to Rich and Denis: the dealer was unkind in that regard. Still, I feel the work is of good quality with a very steep learning curve time-wise. (There goes my X pipe, for now)

Just about ready now for 2009.

Pete S.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
It looks like the welder did a fine job on the transaxle case. The dealer's mechanic was instructed to and did pull off the old speedi sleeve and put a new one on, with the new cover plate having the seal already pressed in. I do hope the rest of the speedi sleeve'd GT's out there get more than 20,000 miles between replacement. Warranty is up, or was for me; and I can only say I should have driven it or trailered up to Rich and Denis: the dealer was unkind in that regard. Still, I feel the work is of good quality with a very steep learning curve time-wise. (There goes my X pipe, for now)

Just about ready now for 2009.

Pete S.

why did they replace the speedi sleeve, was there a leak in the rear main seal as well?

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Correct

It also looked like there was a rear main seal leak and it was confirmed by the dye process as well.

Pete S.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hey Pete, I'm glad you got your gal back on all four wheels as it sounds like you are ready for the spring outings. I have a bit more work to do until the spring (Whipple:banana) outings but I am looking forward to more GT time with all of you guys. I have talked to Rich about doing another GT Guys event at the house this spring and he is all for it so stay tuned for that and get you other projects ready for them.:cheers