Transaxle cooler

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I've been thinking about what I might want for Christmas. A trans cooler seems like a good place to start. I have never seen my engine temp get over 180 deg but I really don't know how hot the tranny actually gets. Things get pretty hot here in the summer. Have any of you added the cooler? Thanks, TI

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If your engine is only 180F then the transaxle should be lower than that. When my car's engine is at 185 or so after 1/2 hr on the freeway I measured the transaxle case temperature with a IR meter and it was only 160F. The trans oil running temp should be about 165 to 180F anyway, so I don't think I need a cooler for street use. Now if you are on the track or open road race then you would need one.

My belief that a low power levels the main cause of heat in the trans is from heat transfer from the engine and engine compartment. Those temps are well within the range that the oil should be at. Now at high average horsepower for extended periods of time the main cause of heat, is power loss in the transaxle itself. For example assume that 5% of the power is lossed in the transaxle then at an average power of 200 hp, 5% is 10hp or 7457 watts or 25467 btu/hr! That is like the heat of 5 plug in electric wall heaters pumping heat into the transaxle! Now you need a cooler. Just think what happens at 500hp for 30 mins!

BlackICE

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Isaak, I have a cooler fitted - primarily to stop the weeping from the transaxle vent.

It looks nice and I believe the transaxle was originally designed to have the cooler in place - so I feel content it's there!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Neilda said:
Hi Isaak, I have a cooler fitted - primarily to stop the weeping from the transaxle vent.

It looks nice and I believe the transaxle was originally designed to have the cooler in place - so I feel content it's there!

I think that is correct Neil since there are bolt holes already in place on the support pieces,

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yes, the transaxle is designed for a cooler since the car was designed for speed. Now in the real world how many of us drive the car as it was designed to be driven? If you drive the car with an average power output of 100 hp then a cooler is definitely a good idea. If you are just cruising the public highways at even 100 mph it isn't. Gear oils are designed to operate best at a certain temperature range. If you have a cooler and the oil never gets warmer than 160F you can be doing more harm than good for the transaxle. Just as if you never got your engine oil temperature high enough. Conversely if you don't have a cooler and your oil is warmer than about 185F you should get a cooler.

The only way to tell for sure is to take a temperature reading of the oil. A good approximation would be to measure the temp. of the cooler body when the car is idling after a typical drive, or those without a cooler, the transaxle case. Any temp that you read is probably a few degrees cooler than the oil.

I think the best solution is to have a thermostatic valve so it cools when necessary and doesn't if it is not needed. The downside is more plumbing (failure points) and weight with the need to design your own. I have posted in the past some parts that could do the job.

BlackICE

Aug 25, 2006
I agree with all of the comments however; the syn oils of today are designed to operate properly within an extreme temperature swing as such I doubt that the oil could ever be to cool to protect as designed.

Furthermore like many I am a bit of a mechanical knut and when opeing the rear clam shell it is obvious that the cooler was a part of the original design as such I purchased and installed one. Is it needed; likely not and yet there is something to be said for the "Cool" factor too. No play on words intended and yet this is a part of what draws us to these gals.

Regards

Shadowman

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
Cooler Temp

A low tech solution might be on cooler days or low speed around towne operation to do the truckers do with their radiators.....put something in the intake grill to close off the airflow.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The problem that solution is that depending on how the cooler installed, blocking the air flow would also block off some of the airflow to the engine compartment as well. But I guess if it is that cool you don't need that extra airflow anyway.

BlackICE

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My personal experience as well as that of every other owner of a Tranasxle-cooler-equipped car, is that the warm-up times of the trans fluid is NOT adversely effected by the presence of the cooler. In other words, virtually every owner of a GT has experienced some 1-2 shift notchiness when the car is cold. Most remedy the situation by double-clutching or by skipping 2nd gear entirely during the warm-up period. This warm-up period is, in my experience, limited to the first 2-3 miles of driving. Perhaps it is longer in colder conditions. (I'm in SoCal so what do I know about cold?) Anyway, the point is that with the installation of a Transaxle Cooler, be it the Cool Tech, Ford Racing, or home-grown variety, experience says that the warm-up times are NOT elongated. So, even with a transaxle-cooler-equipped car, you quickly reach a functioning operating temperature (as evidenced by the silky-smooth shifting) but you have protection against adversely high temperatures that can be detrimental. Ford could have easily limited their recommendation to just race-track driven cars but chose to say, "A must for aggressive driving and open track events."

In my view GT owners should, at least occasionally (and under safe conditions), "drive aggressively", otherwise why own the car? The aforementioned cooler alternatives all use factory-provided mounting locations, leverage the -AN fittings already on the car, and provide peace of mind of having a component that was so clearly designed to be on each car when it left the factory. Perhaps we'll never know the real reason but clearly several owners here can attest to the delayed availability of the Ford Racing Coolers early-on which I believe may have contributed to the "let's push it to the aftermarket" decision so as not to delay the availability of the car itself.

by the way....

isaakgt - When you are ready to order we carry the following transcoolers in stock:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/TransCooler.htm

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=8119

We offer discounts to FordGTForum.Com forum members and are authorized WD dealers for both product lines above.

Jack @ MMP Sales
Muscle Motors Performance, Inc.
jack@musclemotors.com
http://www.musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778
"Here to Make Racing Fun & Affordable for Everyone!"

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
MMP Inc. said:
isaakgt - When you are ready to order we carry the following transcoolers in stock:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/TransCooler.htm

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=8119

We offer discounts to FordGTForum.Com forum members and are authorized WD dealers for both product lines above.

Jack @ MMP Sales
jack@musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778

Thanks Jack. Already have you in my favorites list. I hope to visit your store in the near future. :thumbsup

ahhhhh......

Thank you :)

Jack @ MMP Sales

jack@musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
trans cooler

Kendall
Thanks for putting together a great trans cooler from Cool-tec The installation was fantastic and well thought out. The cooler works well and looks like it was designed as part of the original car. Ps. the rough shifting from 1rst to 2nd seems to have disapeared ofter the install.
Thanks FLY GT40 :thumbsup

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Trans Cooler

I echo the eloquent sentiments of Nota4re. the transaxle cooler is not necessary for everyday street driving but for peace of mind and occasional "aggressive driving" I purchased (from Jack at MMP) the FMR cooler. I installed it myself (not really difficult once you see some pictures, get instructions which are not shipped with the unit and swap the incorrect AN fitting for the correct one) and feel better it is on the car. Besides it complements and completes the engine compartment.

I too believe that with the synthetic fluid the temperature extremes (on the too cool side with the cooler) are not going to present a lubrication problem. As previously posted the transaxle warm up time (that I have experienced, pre and post addition) are the same. Although I never had a transaxle vent weeping problem, I have read on this Forum how addition of the (or a) cooler reduces this likelyhood.

I am happy with this FMR product on my GT.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have Ford Racing Cooler, with a breather from Alex. I would go with Kendall however if I was doing it again.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
For the money, you can't go wrong. Ricardo designed the transaxle with the cooler in mind, but money cut the final production short of its intended plan. Check out Cool-Tech, very high quality at a good price. I put one in each of my GT's and have been happy.