Transaxle Cooler Install

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Has anyone done a self-install on a transaxle cooler? I have one in transit, have not seen the instructions (if any) and was interested in feasibility of self-install.

If you have done so, your input would be appreciate by Reply post, PM or e-mail.

Thanks in advance,

- doc

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Thank you.

My more specific question was how long the process took and would someone who had performed the addition of the trans cooler recommend a self-install or a dealer install.

- doc

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'm going to have Roush do it here in the UK - firstly I don't fancy torquing any bolt onto the main engine block, secondly I'm unclear on the fluid level checking and filling of the cooler, thirdly I'm not a mechanic!

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
doc,
I have tried to post a reply with detailed instructions twice this morning only to have internet explorer lock up when I press the submit button. :ack I am not typing it again but I'll PM you my number and you can call if you want. It shouldn't take more than an hour to do once you know the sequence.
Hope this helps.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Forum members

Can anyone that has personally installed the transaxle cooler post, PM or e-mail me with detailed Transcooler instructions? Specifically, how to remove the transaxle bypass line.

I've tried to get a 1" wrench (25mm) in there but can't find enough room to turn it. Do you have to remove the shifter cable support to get at those fittings?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If anyone knows, I would like to know what type of fittings are used in the bypass hose and the 90 degrees elbow. If one takes the hose off of the 90 degree fittings what is the connection type? For example is it a male AN12 fitting or a 45 degree flare? What type of threads are used for the 90 degree fittings to the transaxle case?

BlackICE

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Eric, I emailed you the instructions. BlackIce, if you can wait a couple of weeks, I'll answer your questions. I received my Setrab cooler today and will start making the brackets next weekend. Then I'll do the lines. FYI to others. The Setrab coolers are used by almost all of the race teams from Nascar to F1. The cooler costs $200. I expect the lines and fittings to cost $100 each at most. So, for $400 and some labor you have as good, but likely better, solution than Ford's $1400+ cooler option.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
nota4re said:
Eric, I emailed you the instructions. BlackIce, if you can wait a couple of weeks, I'll answer your questions. I received my Setrab cooler today and will start making the brackets next weekend. Then I'll do the lines. FYI to others. The Setrab coolers are used by almost all of the race teams from Nascar to F1. The cooler costs $200. I expect the lines and fittings to cost $100 each at most. So, for $400 and some labor you have as good, but likely better, solution than Ford's $1400+ cooler option.

I look forward to the information, thanks. I am thinking of making a doit yourself version too, but adding a thermostat to the system as well. I wouldn't want to over cool the oil during street use (which is most of the time).

BlackICE

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I was able to get the fittings and the bypass line removed without removing the cable bracket. Thanks for the instructions Nota4re.

Using my micrometer, it appears The standard fittings are 16mm X 1.5 into the transaxle case with a -8AN male fitting on the other end. The 90 Degree elbows are -8AN female. I will know for sure today. I will be using 16mm X 1.5 to -6AN adapters for my home brew transcooler.

I will post results when complete.

Eric

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
dbtgt said:
doc,
I have tried to post a reply with detailed instructions twice this morning only to have internet explorer lock up when I press the submit button. :ack I am not typing it again ...

I get that too sometimes... "Ctrl-A" to high-light the text then "left click" and "copy" the hole lot before you press submit - that way, if it don't work, its possible to paste it all in the text window for another try...

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I purchased and installed the Ford transaxle cooler on my GT. Is not a complex operation once you get some pictures of how to locate all the parts (see Centerpunch links) and get the single sheet of directions (see Centerpunch links) which were NOT included with the cooler. You might also consult TSB 04-25-6 to help in orientation to see where the bypass line is located, and has to be removed. Maybe Centerpuch can post this as well. Note the AN supply and return fittings (blue annodized aluminium) screw into the transaxle, not the engine block. Note also my cooler fitting kit contained one transaxle fitting with the incorrect male pipe thread (to be screwed into the transaxle tapped hole).

Called Ford and they could not believe they shipped an incorrect fitting, all the ones they had in storage "seemed" fine. After telling them the MONTHS long wait with their production delays to ship, the no instructions with a $1400 three component accessory and now incorrect AN fitting they over-nighted me the correct fitting. Sent the improper thread fitting back to them for substantiation.

Anyone with light mechanical skills can install. Note, also takes about 7/8 of a quart of transaxle fluid to return system to full capacity after cooler install. Install cooler, fire up for 30-60 sec to let transaxle cooler pump fluid through exchanger, shut down, remove fill plug to transaxle (driver side rear and easly accessible with air filter box removed) and gravity fill from above car with transparent flexible tube from fluid bottle till fluid reaches fill port level. I found no need to drop lower pan and fill from below. Above is much easier and less time. Torque fill plug fitting (20 ftlbs), reinstall air box, fire up to check for leaks and enjoy.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
EasyEric said:
Using my micrometer, it appears The standard fittings are 16mm X 1.5 into the transaxle case with a -8AN male fitting on the other end. The 90 Degree elbows are -8AN female. I will know for sure today. I will be using 16mm X 1.5 to -6AN adapters for my home brew transcooler.

I will post results when complete.

Eric

Eric, thanks for the information. I don't know the flow rate of the oil though the cooler, but it would be safer to up the connector sizes. The plumbing with a cooler is much longer and more restrictive than the simple loop without the cooler. Even if you used the same size plumbing the flow will be less the stock. But if someone with knows what the flow rate though that hose then the AN6 might be big enough. With an absense of knowledge I prefer to err on the safe side. Of course if the Ford cooler using AN6 plumbing you are probably OK

BlackICE

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I agree BlackIce.

The instructions that come with Ford Racing cooler directs you to remove the current fittings and replace it with the included "adapters".

I believe these adapters are -6AN size based on photos of the plubming. But I could be wrong.

Eric

Rads GT

Jul 18, 2006
Just Wondering the performance after the install, pros cons any performance gains felt after the install.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Rads, I've just had my cooler installed - I will be driving to France this coming Friday. I doubt I'll feel any difference, however I'll post any observations, if there are any....

It looks nice tucked in there though!

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
My FRPP transaxle cooler is almost on - having the headers installed at the same time. I too was quite surprised that the $1400 cooler had NO instructions included and the $2500 headers that bolt to the $2500 muffler came with incorrect manifold bolts/hardware. Ford should be smart enough to realize that we have paid $150k +/- for a "supercar" that has a laundry list of known problems that us owners have to fix on our own. Case in point, the transaxle leak is ridiculous, esp when we have to pay $1400 plus labor to fix it on our own - and you know FRPP makes 60% on that part easy! The least they could do is include the right hardware and some basic instructions or even a picture. This is very much like the old Sears Roebuck bs when you'd buy equipment and the instructions were so poorly written you could never use them.

Ok, I'm off my rant - Here is the $1m question for those of you that may know: What kind of transaxle fluid should I top off with when the cooler is on?

Thanks!
Colin

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
75w90 Full Synthetic. I used Mobil 1.

Eric

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Eric,
Thanks. We use Redline 75/90 in the shop so I'll drop a quart of that in. I thought Ford spec'd a super heavy gear lube to combat the high temps (which I hopefully have cured by removing the cats and adding the t/a cooler! :biggrin ).
Regards,
Colin

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
This is what I decided to do after researching the Motorcraft fluid. I have the utmost confidence in Redline gear lube, BUT, I could also hear Ford saying "your transaxle warranty is void because you didn't use our specified lubricant".

My dealer was able to find the Motorcraft lube easily and will have it here overnight. $20/ qt and free peace of mind for the owner :biggrin

Colin