Transaxle Breather Kit

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=190221623000&rd=1

Is there any merit to a Transaxle Breather Kit? I don't particularly see
a lot of oil residue around my factory breather cap.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you don't have an oil weepage problem, you don't need one. Most of us have seen some weepage and would rather keep the engine bay as clean as possible. This is a nice unit. Analogdesigner also has a smaller cleaner looking device he sells. I had a home made version of the picture you posted and have switch to Jay's product for a cleaner look.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Pantera, if you install the tranny cooler, you won't need it. I bought Analogdesigners model cause it's almost unnoticeable on the car, but put the tranny cooler on after last years Rally.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
:agree:

Ever since I installed my cooler the weepage problem went away. Cooler running fluid does the trick :thumbsup

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
Pantera, if you install the tranny cooler, you won't need it. I bought Analogdesigners model cause it's almost unnoticeable on the car, but put the tranny cooler on after last years Rally.

Cool...I installed the tranny cooler a few months ago. Glad I asked before I bought !! :thumbsup :cheers :biggrin :banana

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I have the cooler and will still add the breather kit:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Read somewhere here on The 'Forum that a breather shouldn't really be needed unless you TRACK your car - or drive real aggressively on the street quite often.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
'Read somewhere here on The 'Forum that a breather shouldn't really be needed unless you TRACK your car - or drive real aggressively on the street quite often.

You mean cooler, don't you.

IMHO, the weeping oil is actually not a bad thing and adding a cooler to a legally driven street GT may do more harm than good. The transaxle case is vented. It is naturally for water to condense in the oil. If you never get the oil hot enough the water will remain there. The weeping is the water/oil mix being vented out. A better breather is a good thing to have. Test your transaxle case temperture with a IR meter after a typical drive. Mine was never over 180, of course I wasn't using manly-RPMs though.

An interesting side bar is Shadowman told me to replace the transaxle oil as spec. in the manual. I did so with only 35XX miles on the car. I was amazed at how black the oil was!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You mean cooler, don't you.

QUOTE]

Nope. 'Breather.

The tranny COOLER evidently isn't needed on a "street" car either ( I think it was Jay who posted that specific thought), but the same is supposedly the case with the breather too as I recall the post regarding them. ('Can't recall who posted that though.)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have both, got mine from Alex at TA Shocks, no regrets, recommend it.

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
I have both, got mine from Alex at TA Shocks, no regrets, recommend it.
I also have both. The cooler [alone]did not stop the seepage on my car but the unit from Alex was the fix....and the install looks very cool in my opinion :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Most of us know Alex was one of the engineers on the development cars and knows his stuff. He will be at RALLY III

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Stock configuration - seepage.:thumbsdow

Added Ford Racing Trans-Cooler - still seepage.:thumbsdow

Added breather from Alex – END OF SEEPAGE.:thumbsup

Rarely runs less than 250 to 300 miles when it starts up.:thumbsup

Likes long distant runs.:thumbsup

Rally III here we come.:thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
me too I put the gtsaver breather on and there is still seepage,:frown and I just installed the cooler, but since my car is still on jack stands I havent had a chance to drive it to see if it has stoped speewing oil out. I hope this combination works.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As others have said, Alex's breather kit is a class product. I've installed a few of them. The combination of a cooler (w/increasing transaxle oil volume by 20%) and the breather should DEFINITELY end any transaxle weepage.

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
If you don't have an oil weepage problem, you don't need one. Most of us have seen some weepage and would rather keep the engine bay as clean as possible. This is a nice unit. Analogdesigner also has a smaller cleaner looking device he sells. I had a home made version of the picture you posted and have switch to Jay's product for a cleaner look.

BlackICE: By chance could you post any photos of the Analogdesigner unit?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
BlackICE: By chance could you post any photos of the Analogdesigner unit?

I don't have any pictures handy, but it is a simple device that the stock breather screws into. Think of it as about a 2" extension to the stock breather.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Picture a blue lugnut. That's what it looks like.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I found a picture of it on Shadowman's site.

DSC06587.jpg

Stock breather on the left. It screws on top of Jay's part.

I think Shadowman need to hire a hand model to make the posts more appealing. I like what Jason is doing with his pictures!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I found a picture of it on Shadowman's site.

DSC06587.jpg

Stock breather on the left. It screws on top of Jay's part.

I think Shadowman need to hire a hand model to make the posts more appealing. I like what Jason is doing with his pictures!

Is there a filter or baffle in it? How does it work?