Trans Rattle

I have only had my Ford GT for a few weeks. It has 1,500 miles on it and there is a nasty rattle coming from the transmision case. It only occurs with the engine running in neutral with the clutch engaged. Depress the clutch pedal and it goes away. It sounds like a bunch of loose rocks rattling around. It increases with rpm increase. If I start out in first gear and chatter the clutch (lug the engine) it knocks like a SOB. There is no sound when under acceleration load. The sound is very noticeable outside of the car but cannot be heard inside of the car. I believe it to be spine-shaft noise. Does anyone know if this is typical of the Ricardo Trans? If not, I will take it in for warranty replacement. Thanks, Tim (GT374)

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
It's called neutral roll over. Mine had it, others have also had it. Use the "Search / Advanced" function of the forum for more info on this. Mine disappeared ~ 4k miles. Sinovac posted earlier the following:

"Page 98 of the '06 manual under the "driving section" states:"

"Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal. This noise will be most noticeable when the vehicle is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out but can also occur when driving away from a stop."

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
An admittedly unusual noise, but normal.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You MIGHT have a rattle in the shifter cables. This drove Spirit to near insanity at the Rally in SoCAl.

Thank you for the help. Good to know it is not a problem. It is nice to have such a great resource available. Thanks again; Tim

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I always thought it was the clutch throw out bearing. I think everybody has it. Must be normal.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
You MIGHT have a rattle in the shifter cables. This drove Spirit to near insanity at the Rally in SoCAl.

It's even louder when the Short Shifter is installed WITHOUT the rubber mounts [harmonic residence].:eek

The GT Guys RULE :thumbsup- they repositioned the shifter mount so that the sound is now LIVABLE, thus temporarily saving what's left of my sanity.:bang

I JUST LOVE THIS THING!! :banana:banana:banana

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Noticed today that my Heritage does the same thing,

my Yellow car does not.... :willy

What did the GT Guys do??

Once the Heffner exhaust and headers is on I might not be able to hear it anymore :biggrin :biggrin

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Neutral Rollover Noise

Noticed today that my Heritage does the same thing,

my Yellow car does not.... :willy

What did the GT Guys do??

Once the Heffner exhaust and headers is on I might not be able to hear it anymore :biggrin :biggrin

Ray,

From day one, my car has had this infamous “Neutral Rollover” noise.

I have listened to a lot of Ford GT cars, and got to say [as did Rich of the GT Guys] mine is one of the loudest heard with this phenomenon.

Put in the Ford Racing Short Shifter without the rubber mounting using the solid mounting option, and the noise increased substantially in the cabin [stayed the same outside the car]; even while driving it was very audible inside.

Rich pulled the center console to investigate and found that the mounting bolts [shifter to the body bracket under the console] were hitting the mounting bracket thus creating an increase in harmonic residency transfer into the cabin.

Solution was to re-center the mounting of the shifter so that the edges of the bolts were not touching the mounting bracket.

Now, sound inside the cabin is “livable”, but is still audible.

This has had no effect whatsoever on the actual “Rollover” noise coming from the transaxle.

I just keep telling myself that all “race cars” do this. :rolleyes

Ford assures me that this “Neutral Rollover” noise is normal.

Fred

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
It's even louder when the Short Shifter is installed WITHOUT the rubber mounts [harmonic residence].:eek

The GT Guys RULE :thumbsup- they repositioned the shifter mount so that the sound is now LIVABLE, thus temporarily saving what's left of my sanity.:bang

I JUST LOVE THIS THING!! :banana:banana:banana

Spirit - mentioning your name with sanity in the same sentence is a double negative:ack

But then, who am I to question your sanity.

We'll have to leave the official diagnosis to Dr. fjpikul:thumbsup

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Spirit - mentioning your name with sanity in the same sentence is a double negative:ack

But then, who am I to question your sanity.

We'll have to leave the official diagnosis to Dr. fjpikul:thumbsup

Jeff,

Now you have gone and joined Empty Pockets in the grammar correction department - maybe something to do with the lack of sunshine in your geographical location?:willy

Thank you for your continued vote of confidence.:biggrin

Please note that I did say “temporarily”.:bang

The good Doctor told me that I was progressing just fine :bs[of course we all have to take into consideration the source].:rofl

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Jeff,

Now you have gone and joined Empty Pockets in the grammar correction department - maybe something to do with the lack of sunshine in your geographical location?:willy

Thank you for your continued vote of confidence.:biggrin

Please note that I did say “temporarily”.:bang

The good Doctor told me that I was progressing just fine :bs[of course we all have to take into consideration the source].:rofl

FREDDIE -

I'm taken aback. You think that low miles Larry and I are lacking?:bs

Well that may be true for MT. Anyone that has owned a GT for over a year and has NEVER washed it, is just plain weird. There I said it. :willy

And of course the The Good Doctor owns a red GT. Shows you where he's coming from, doesn't it. Besides we have pictures from Indy to prove that he may not be in a right mind situation. Hopefully the condition is temporary

Keep my stall clean. I'll be there soon.

Jeff.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Thanks for the info Fred.

The noise took me by surprise since my yellow car does not make the noise....

Guess I will have to live with it on this car. I cannot hear it inside the car, only outside so my case is not nearly as bad as yours.

Thanks again!

Ray

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Keep my stall clean. I'll be there soon.

Jeff.

Miracle says he “Loves You”.

Attachments

• DSC00649xx.JPG
    DSC00649xx.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 60

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
FREDDIE -

I'm taken aback. You think that low miles Larry and I are lacking?:bs

Well that may be true for MT. Anyone that has owned a GT for over a year and has NEVER washed it, is just plain weird. There I said it. :willy

Jeff.

Hey! Hey!! Hey!!! Spirit. Jeffey. Watch it, okay??? The two of yuz.

Obviously th' botha yuz are just jealous of Perfect Pockets. That's all there is to it.:slap:slap

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Pockets... did you do your periodic maintenance that was scheduled last week....
.... add another bottle of STABIL?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Pockets... did you do your periodic maintenance that was scheduled last week....

"Yes, Dear."

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Bony - he has to wait for the gasoline to evaporate a bit more - Jeff

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Bony - he has to wait for the gasoline to evaporate a bit more - Jeff

No I don't. It's a sealed system. 'CAN'T 'vaporate. So, I ALWAYS just automatically leave a little room for the Stabil when I fuel the GT up ...annually.