Trailers

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
For those guy who have trailer or have looked into it, which did you get or are consider buying. I thinking of getting on for show and rally. Really don't want rack too many miles. Thanks

Milton

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have a Featherlite. They are all aluminum and weigh about 1500 pounds less than steel and wood built trailers. They offer a variety of "race trailer" configurations from simple enclosed trailers to goosenecks with living quarters and shop cabinets. Check them out at: http://www.fthr.com/

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I have a 28 foot Pace Shadow with cabinets, etc. I bought it to transport my Dodge viper and Plymouth hemi Cuda. I was surprised to find that the Ford GT fits nicely :thumbsup . PD

GTsequel

Ford GT Fan
Mark IV Lifetime
May 29, 2006
Virginia
Trailering the GT...(Issues)

Am considering buying a trailer to transport my new GT (not yet delivered) to events and for service. Since I live in a rural area, it may be advisable to transport the car to distant locations for any major service work or modifications.
The question???
Since I have read that exiting the GT requires the doors to be almost fully opened, how do you you "climb out" of the car after pulling it into the narrow trailer????.... Being of some girth myself, will I need to have a skinny fellow around to pull the GT in & out of the trailer???

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
There are several threads about this, but I have a 24' with a winch (standard issue steel enclosed trailer like a Pace, Haulmark, it is a Transport Design), works nicely, put in the tow hook and drag her in. with about 2" clearance on each side of the wheel wells I would not want to drive it in. I have a relatively inexpensive trailer. There are lots of options, like ramps (to get the car up to clear the wheel wells), side door (to be able to open the car door, when inside) etc. There is NO doubt that a Featherlight or another high end alluminum trailer is the way to go, not only is the quality better, but also lighter. The only down side is cost, you can be north of 20k+ very quickly for a 24'.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Trailers...

I know trailers! I own about 5. I sell them too, but don't use what I sell!!! In my experience the Featherlights are the best in terms of what you get for the money. Expensive yes - but you've got a 170k car right? Could have bought a Vette - but did'nt. Same with trailers.

Depending on your use and application at destination, so spec. the trailer. For something decent in a Featherlight you be $20k + and as much as $30k. A winch and powered front jack are nice options.

The photos show the trailer my dealer delivered my car on. Very nice. Don't know the brand.

Gordon.

Attachments

• IMG_0170a.jpg
    IMG_0170a.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0166a.jpg
    IMG_0166a.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 317

fly-by

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
trailer choices

During my visits to the Barret-Jackson auction in Phoenix i saw a really well designed aluminum trailer supplier who usually had 6 or 7 trailers at the event. The trailers had some pretty unique additions which made it very user friendly - ie low ramps, front rock foils, fully enclosed, or open, winch, removable fenders, many options for tie downs. I recently bought an open trailer and then an enclosed trailer and could not be happier with the quality and towing smoothness. The name of the trailer is called a "Tommy trailer" the website is www.tommystrailers.com. They are not cheap but they are really a great trailer.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
I've been around trailers my whole life and as others have said Featherlite is the way to go. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for. If you are going to put some miles on the trailer and intend to keep it for any length of time you'll be $ ahead spending it up front. I own 2 Featherlites a 24' enclosed and a 24' enclosed stacker. I've had no problems with either. I also have an enclosed 18' generic (cheap) trailer. I let my kids or friends use, don't want to lend the good stuff! When I bought it I considered it a disposable trailer good for about 3-5 years and it has lived up that.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Another aluminum option with large swing out door on the side.

Very light. http://www.trailex.com/car_trailers.cfm

Not a good photo, I copied it from the website:

Attachments

• enc_trailerD.jpg
    enc_trailerD.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 520

GTsequel

Ford GT Fan
Mark IV Lifetime
May 29, 2006
Virginia
Thanks ALL for the input & advice....

Needed options...winch and side doors...plus lights, cabinets, tread, etc, etc... no doubt.
Featherlite gets alot of praise....AND...
There is a Featherlite Dealer only 5 miles from my house...SO...!!!
There's a trailer in my future.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
GTsequel said:
Needed options...winch and side doors...plus lights, cabinets, tread, etc, etc... no doubt.
Featherlite gets alot of praise....AND...
There is a Featherlite Dealer only 5 miles from my house...SO...!!!
There's a trailer in my future.

Featherlite overcharges for their options (cabinets and lights). If you can do it yourself you will save a substantial amount of $. I order my trailers without insulation, lights or inner skin and do it myself. C-tech makes excellent cabinets, nicer than featherlites. Pit-pal also has lots of stuff for trailers. Look at Trucklite for interior lights. West Marine is where I get my exterior lights.

640DSCN0184.jpg

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I have a 28 foot Pace enclosed trailer with drivers side escape door and EZ track. Also make sure you get the shorter 9" instead of the standard 11" wheel wells, otherwise you won't me able to open the door on the GT once inside the trailer. I winch the car in and out of the trailer and the GT fits beautifully. I trailered the car to and from the Rally in Dearborn with absolutely no issues. That is about a 1200 mile round trip for me. As desrcibed above with airconditioning and heat, generator, air compressor, cabinets, flourescent lighting, wireless remote control winch, built in alluminum ramps, etc., was $27K. PD :thumbsup

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
If you have a trailer, consider GPS. My featherlite was stolen.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've just bought a trailer and have never owned one before - so I'm moderately terrified of hooking it up with a car on the back!

It's an aluminium open trailer -it tilts and has removable ramps that stow under it, so it's low entry.

Is the view that if you're operating this on your own that it's better to winch the car up?

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Winch

A winch is the way to go if you have one. If not find a wench to assist in the loading :biggrin. Be particularly alert to the position of the spoilers as you load/off-load. Front and rears are easily nicked. Be careful opening the door - they tend to bang into mud guards and the like. If you're new to trailering - take some time and practice driving and maneuvering. Take you turns deep on entry, don't cut corners and watch your mirrors as you turn - looking for the placement of the trailer wheels. (They love curbs). When backing up - use your mirrors, left and right and steer the car with you hand at the bottom of the steering wheels. The trailer will go where you steer. The biggest thing is to anticipate. Think ahead and look long. Nothing more embarrassing than getting stuck in a place you can't get out of. Good luck and happy trailering!

Gordon

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks Gordon - my trailer has a winch attached.

Interesting about the hands at the bottom of the wheel. Wouldn't have thought of that......

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The range rover has a battery powered remote (wireless) camera with the display in the dashboard - this would probably be useful for the trailers.

Thanks for the advice, I will go down to a rail station car park on a Sunday and give it a go!

gamera11

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2006
Kansas City MO
When you think of trailer also think of tow vehicle.

I am new to this forum and just got my 06 GT. I have been showing concours and racing vintage Shelby's for many years. I wanted to share some thoughts I had for a first time trailer owner. I thought I would mention that the tow vehicle must have enough engine power ,the transmission has to be strong enough and the suspension has to be capable to handle the additional load. I know of a number of people pulling 20 foot enclosed trailers that found that there F150 ford trucks didn't have the power and the suspension was just at the edge. I assume everyone would be talking about a enclosed trailer. A enclosed trailer is the only way to go because Out sight out of mind as a theft deterrent and your inside vehicle is clean even after the trailer is driven through rain,bugs etc. I myself am against a bunch of special signage painted on the sides and back telling about the fantastic Ford GT or whatever unless it can be taken off when you park. It doesnt make sense to me to let the crooks know which box has the best prize in it. A 20 ft is the smallest you can get by with and is easy to tow and maneuver. It is big enough in front for some cabinets for tools etc. and about a foot or so between a loaded Ford GT,Cobra or Shelby depending how close you have the car to the back ramp door. It is absolutely dangerous in any adverse weather without a equalizer hitch for a smaller tow vehicle pulling a loaded 20 foot enclosed. This tightens up the connection between the trailer and tow vehicle and equalizes the tension between two so as to lesson sway movement. A electric tongue jack is a necessary luxury in my book. Besides the friend who found his F150 was not up to the task another with a Ford Expedition kept burning up transmissions in short periods of time. My wife's Navigator pulls the 20 ft fine any longer and it would be iffy ,it seems to handle alright as well. I have a 1 ton conversion van that I had bought specifically to tow the 20 trailers and I easily drive it when not attached to a trailer unlike some dually trucks. It has a V10 but most guys want the turbo diesel . A lot of friends have dually trucks with the turbo diesel for a great tow vehicle. I just wanted a gas engine for convenience and the dually has space limitations the van doesn't. I think feather light is a great brand but there are many others that are good as well. Interesting enough there is not a lot of weight difference between a featherlight and comparable haulmark etc. because although the featherlight is aluminum it takes thicker structure units to get a equivalent to the steel beams in the other types . The weight is real close to each other . I bought 3 nicely ( I sometimes caravan my cars) H+H trailers for the price of 1 featherlight. Don't get me wrong the featherlight is a exceptional trailer and top of the line it was just for ME it was spending money on the cars and not the trailers . I just thought I would remind a potential trailer buyer that maybe a less expensive trailer and a upgraded tow vehicle would work out the same. I would think a 5.4 or larger engine and a F250 or Expedition in Ford speak equivalent size or so for a 20 foot enclosed. If you pull 2 to 4 times a year on relatively short runs the minimum specs mentioned would be fine but if you are making long journeys 5 or 6 times or more you need a vehicle that there is no doubt has the capacity. A larger trailer depending on the size ,would need other tow vehicle specs. I am not saying it can't be done because it can . I am saying from my experience as well as others that safety as well as a good car experience (no problems) are a very valuable consideration. My 2 cents. Bob G.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
gamera11 said:
I am new to this forum and just got my 06 GT. I have been showing concours and racing vintage Shelby's for many years. I wanted to share some thoughts I had for a first time trailer owner. I thought I would mention that the tow vehicle must have enough engine power ,the transmission has to be strong enough and the suspension has to be capable to handle the additional load. I know of a number of people pulling 20 foot enclosed trailers that found that there F150 ford trucks didn't have the power and the suspension was just at the edge. I assume everyone would be talking about a enclosed trailer. A enclosed trailer is the only way to go because Out sight out of mind as a theft deterrent and your inside vehicle is clean even after the trailer is driven through rain,bugs etc. I myself am against a bunch of special signage painted on the sides and back telling about the fantastic Ford GT or whatever unless it can be taken off when you park. It doesnt make sense to me to let the crooks know which box has the best prize in it. A 20 ft is the smallest you can get by with and is easy to tow and maneuver. It is big enough in front for some cabinets for tools etc. and about a foot or so between a loaded Ford GT,Cobra or Shelby depending how close you have the car to the back ramp door. It is absolutely dangerous in any adverse weather without a equalizer hitch for a smaller tow vehicle pulling a loaded 20 foot enclosed. This tightens up the connection between the trailer and tow vehicle and equalizes the tension between two so as to lesson sway movement. A electric tongue jack is a necessary luxury in my book. Besides the friend who found his F150 was not up to the task another with a Ford Expedition kept burning up transmissions in short periods of time. My wife's Navigator pulls the 20 ft fine any longer and it would be iffy ,it seems to handle alright as well. I have a 1 ton conversion van that I had bought specifically to tow the 20 trailers and I easily drive it when not attached to a trailer unlike some dually trucks. It has a V10 but most guys want the turbo diesel . A lot of friends have dually trucks with the turbo diesel for a great tow vehicle. I just wanted a gas engine for convenience and the dually has space limitations the van doesn't. I think feather light is a great brand but there are many others that are good as well. Interesting enough there is not a lot of weight difference between a featherlight and comparable haulmark etc. because although the featherlight is aluminum it takes thicker structure units to get a equivalent to the steel beams in the other types . The weight is real close to each other . I bought 3 nicely ( I sometimes caravan my cars) H+H trailers for the price of 1 featherlight. Don't get me wrong the featherlight is a exceptional trailer and top of the line it was just for ME it was spending money on the cars and not the trailers . I just thought I would remind a potential trailer buyer that maybe a less expensive trailer and a upgraded tow vehicle would work out the same. I would think a 5.4 or larger engine and a F250 or Expedition in Ford speak equivalent size or so for a 20 foot enclosed. If you pull 2 to 4 times a year on relatively short runs the minimum specs mentioned would be fine but if you are making long journeys 5 or 6 times or more you need a vehicle that there is no doubt has the capacity. A larger trailer depending on the size ,would need other tow vehicle specs. I am not saying it can't be done because it can . I am saying from my experience as well as others that safety as well as a good car experience (no problems) are a very valuable consideration. My 2 cents. Bob G.

What a great informative first post. Thanks and welcome. I assume by your avatar that you own a Heritage? I am close to making the leap to my first enclosed trailer and appreciate your write up.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
welcome bob;
just a question, there seems a lot of guys who trailor their
cars, but why isn't the option of a single car pantech used?, thats all we
use down here.