Trailers, open vs. closed

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I have seen various threads on this topic. It seems that a lot of people really like the Trailex enclosed standard trailer. Some have ordered an additional 6" in height. I also like this trailer as I would use my Cayenne to tow my GT. But my question is this...if you are really planning on using the trailer only to tow the car to various tracks and venues within a 300 mile radius, 5-6X/year, why not use an open trailer and outside custom-fit car cover (tied down of course)? Considering how often I will trailer the GT, 17K for the Trailex trailer seems like a lot when I could buy an open trailer for 5-6K?? Some tracks like VIR have garages for rent which I use when I visit them. Curious what various opinions on this topic are?? Is an open trailer just not really an option for the GT?

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I would be worried about rock chips, but that is just me. If you've ridden a motorcycle you know how often rocks fly in the air, or just debris for that matter.

Or bricks, eh Tom? :ack

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
trailers

Having riden motorcycles for many years and many miles, I have been hit by big beetles at 70mph that do the same damage as a stone. Also after trailering a motorcycle on an open trailer in the rain, it is dirtier than if you would ride it. All my experience with car covers has been no matter how well tied down, you still get areas of relative movement that do scratch the clear coat...
I just purchased an enclosed trailer. I Looked at the Trailex but could not afford the $$. I purchased a CLASSIC (made in Sturgis Michigan) 22ft long. It is a bit heavier, but well made. I will take delivery on July 1st. Never pulled something this big with my GT in the back. I plan to take it from Mich to Newport Beach for the Rallye. Need to do a lot of practice once I get it.
The Classic seemed to be fairly priced. My 2cents.
AJB

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Options-

Scott,
I struggled with the same issues. I purchased a Haulmark Thrifty Hauler 20 with side exit door for about 6,500 new. It works great as a storage vehicle for the GT (I have limited space), all my tracking and car gear is secure and clean, and the enclosed trailer can be used for many other purposes, like me hauling furniture to my place at the beach next weekend along with my sister in laws stuff.:biggrin If you tire of the trailer they are easy to resell for close to the original price. My trailer is about 3000 lbs w/ car it total about 6500, should be fine for the Cayene, I use a Toyota Sequoia. Stop by and have a look if your intereted.
David
PS Sorry I missed the rally yesterday, hope the weather held on.:thumbsup

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
These comments are helpful. Keep in mind that I have NO experience trailering a car, not to mention a very nice one. This may expain why some of my questions may appear dumb to the more experienced.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
NEVER, NEVER tow with a car cover on,.... the cover will ruin the paint.
Only ties the car down using basket straps over the wheels with the brake off and the car in neutral.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have seen various threads on this topic. It seems that a lot of people really like the Trailex enclosed standard trailer. Some have ordered an additional 6" in height. I also like this trailer as I would use my Cayenne to tow my GT. But my question is this...if you are really planning on using the trailer only to tow the car to various tracks and venues within a 300 mile radius, 5-6X/year, why not use an open trailer and outside custom-fit car cover (tied down of course)? Considering how often I will trailer the GT, 17K for the Trailex trailer seems like a lot when I could buy an open trailer for 5-6K?? Some tracks like VIR have garages for rent which I use when I visit them. Curious what various opinions on this topic are?? Is an open trailer just not really an option for the GT?

For SECURITY reasons as well as road hazard avioidin' and faaaaaar less cleanup when you git where yur goin' - enclosed trailer ONLY. (Like, how about runnin' thru a nice Texas HAIL storm with the car on a "open" trailer??? Like, how much sleep would you REALLY git atta hotel/motel with your GT on an "open" rig? :shrug )

Besides, if you ever need "temporary storage" for a car - you gots it. ('Tried to convience a friend of mine about the latter ...he "poo pooed" it ... now 3 months later he wishes he'd spent the extra $$$$.)

Last edited:

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Scott,
I struggled with the same issues. I purchased a Haulmark Thrifty Hauler 20 with side exit door for about 6,500 new. It works great as a storage vehicle for the GT (I have limited space), all my tracking and car gear is secure and clean, and the enclosed trailer can be used for many other purposes, like me hauling furniture to my place at the beach next weekend along with my sister in laws stuff.:biggrin If you tire of the trailer they are easy to resell for close to the original price. My trailer is about 3000 lbs w/ car it total about 6500, should be fine for the Cayene, I use a Toyota Sequoia. Stop by and have a look if your intereted.
David
PS Sorry I missed the rally yesterday, hope the weather held on.:thumbsup

Thanks David! Sent you an email with a few more questions. Rally went great! You can see a few pics on ferrarichat.com, Bermuda Run in the North/South Carolina section. Mrs. Cycle is on there as well!!

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Only ties the car down using basket straps over the wheels with the brake off and the car in neutral.

Thanks Bony! I have now had several people confirm what I should have suspected.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Open vs. closed, I was wondering about that too. It seems to me that an open trailer would be no worse than driving the car on the road and it should be better because the towing vehicle is blocking most of the on coming debris and the car is higher off the road. The only difference is when towing, dodging flying road hazards are almost impossible. I would cringe, if I was boxed in and a dump truck with sand and gravel as passing by!

What do you guys think about renting a Uhaul open trailer to go the track (less than 300 miles) vs. driving the car there?

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I would cringe, if I was boxed in and a dump truck with sand and gravel as passing by!
So would your detailer :rofl (if you have one) It's like ESP - you'll get a phone call 30 seconds later :willy

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You guys need to look at Stormcat's post of his "open" trailer from, I think, Tommy Trailer in Ada, OK. I purposely drove down to see him and the new trailer. Very nice with a thick canvas/plastic cover on a metal frame. Lots more options when you can role up the sides. Go back and look at his post or PM him. I was very impressed with all the extras and the ease of use.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
You guys need to look at Stormcat's post of his "open" trailer from, I think, Tommy Trailer in Ada, OK. I purposely drove down to see him and the new trailer. Very nice with a thick canvas/plastic cover on a metal frame. Lots more options when you can role up the sides. Go back and look at his post or PM him. I was very impressed with all the extras and the ease of use.

Franky - all you do is drive the car when it's raining - now you're finally looking for coverage? Let me quess why:

1/ Tired on having the roof leaking on you when you get out :lol
2/ Tired of messing with the SL BRA when it gets wet. :lol
3/ The nuclear light won't burn off rain - you finally realized the "halo" is gone...
4/ You got rid of the in-laws and the garage is yours finally or...
5/ more inlaws are coming in town and you need more room for them so you have to move the GT to remote storage :rofl

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And the answer is? None of the above. Stormcat has some very interesting concepts, so I also went to see those and beg to have prototypes before the rest of you slobs. I have plenty of garage space and the nuclear light is still great and the seatcovers keep the rain off (just ask anybody who went to Indy). In-laws will leave before the end of the year, and I don't have to move them like some people on this Forum.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

What Bony said. :thumbsup

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Here is a previous thread mentioning the Tommy Trailer
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2225&highlight=open+trailer+tommy

And here is their website.
http://www.tommystrailers.com/
That removable trailer topper is interesting. Can be taken off and functions as a garage. I wonder if anyone on this site has had any experience with these trailers and specifically this removable topper??

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Definately enclosed. Kinda like a chastity belt, it keeps her from being molested when you are not watching!! PD

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Open vs. closed, I was wondering about that too. It seems to me that an open trailer would be no worse than driving the car on the road and it should be better because the towing vehicle is blocking most of the on coming debris and the car is higher off the road. The only difference is when towing, dodging flying road hazards are almost impossible. I would cringe, if I was boxed in and a dump truck with sand and gravel as passing by!

What do you guys think about renting a Uhaul open trailer to go the track (less than 300 miles) vs. driving the car there?

Read the last 2 sentences in your 1st paragraph! You answered your own question! :lol :cheers

Last edited:

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Wheel baskets or not.

I had some guys with alot of gt time that say ford did not use them.The proplem is first my trialex cant use them,and now i just got chrome rims
any suggestions

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I had some guys with alot of gt time that say ford did not use them.The proplem is first my trialex cant use them,and now i just got chrome rims
any suggestions

Don't stress. Gary Almond (site sponsor) has probably trailered more GTs for more miles than everyone on this site put together. He does not use wheel baskets, he runs straps through the wheels, out of gear w brake off. Protect your wheels by wrapping the straps in terry cotton towels.