Trailering advice pls

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The gentleman who sold me my trailer advised leaving the trans in gear and e-brake off while tying the car down and while towing. I didn't have a chance to get a rationale for this. What do the experts here say?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Do NOT leave the GT in gear during trailering

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Owners manual warns to leave the vehicle in neutral, e-brake off and to only tie the tires down. do not put straps around frame nor suspension as damage will occur. I'd suggest you read the owners manual before allowing anyone to touch your car.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The owners manual? Who knew there would be useful info there? lol. I understand you don't want to tie down anything suspended. But what about the rear lower control arms?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
They are also aluminum. I wouldn't do it. They make straps that go over the top of the tires either using a basket strap arrangement or a single strap centered on the tire.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Put etrack in your trailer.Than use the straps that go over tires.This is the system all the transport companies use.I use the tire block strap in the 1st picture
Here you go .Check this out
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/WheelNets

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
E-track with tire straps only. Out of gear. Parking brake on. Have done '000's of miles. The car will love it and so will you.

http://www.autohaulersupply.com/catalog/e-track-wheel-straps-and-supplies-83-1.php

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joFCs4y3Rf8

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1 on etrack and over the wheel tie downs. I leave in neutral and no e-brake. This allows the car to move as you tie down (maybe a total of an inch of movement, not much). The reality is I really don't think that it matters, if your car is properly secured, it will NOT move even a fraction of an inch.

Also in my case I had all the tie downs already, I found this company that sells JUST the idler:

http://truckntow.com/p-9866-rolling-idler-e-fitting-assembly.aspx

And D rings:

http://truckntow.com/p-11390-ea-fitting-w-heavy-duty-d-ring.aspx

Last edited:

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
The reason I would leave it in neutral is not so much for the movement while tying it down, but to not have the vibration of the entire trip transmitted to the inside of the engine. Probably not much of a big deal, but rings vibrating against cylinder walls in one spot.....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The reason I would leave it in neutral is not so much for the movement while tying it down, but to not have the vibration of the entire trip transmitted to the inside of the engine. Probably not much of a big deal, but rings vibrating against cylinder walls in one spot.....

Also the transaxle gears will be vibrating in one spot, can't be good for them.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Yup out of gear no ebrake

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Thanks guys! I could not figure out any reason to leave it in gear.

Trailex was willing to install e-track, but the guy suggested I give the standard ratchet straps through the wheels to D-rings in the floor a try first. So that is what I am going to do. The straps will be well insulated from the wheels with padding. I know a lot of guys do it that way without issue.

My initial run will be our move to Florida in a few weeks. After that, a trip to Detroit and then to the Rally. :)

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
And yet I'd guess 99% of the cars delivered from Detroit were strapped down, in gear with the e-brake engaged while on the back of a very bumpy semi or train ride to their destination....oh well.

Makes sense to leave it out of gear while towing. If you do a good job strapping the car down, it isn't going anywhere.

Cheers,
George

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Thanks guys! I could not figure out any reason to leave it in gear.

Trailex was willing to install e-track, but the guy suggested I give the standard ratchet straps through the wheels to D-rings in the floor a try first. So that is what I am going to do. The straps will be well insulated from the wheels with padding. I know a lot of guys do it that way without issue.

My initial run will be our move to Florida in a few weeks. After that, a trip to Detroit and then to the Rally. :)

Yep you could use floor D-rings if there is one exactly under the front and back of each tire. Then use double-J hooks on the tie straps as shown in the video. And I'll concede no e-brake is probably better.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
And yet I'd guess 99% of the cars delivered from Detroit were strapped down, in gear with the e-brake engaged while on the back of a very bumpy semi or train ride to their destination....oh well.

Makes sense to leave it out of gear while towing. If you do a good job strapping the car down, it isn't going anywhere.

Cheers,
George

Sorry George, but I disagree with your assumption.

I am quite sure when Ford let the delivery contract to Reliable Car Carriers (out of Detroit) to distribute the GT's to the national dealership network, they were strapped down per Ford's requirements, in NEUTRAL for the reasons cited in above posts, and I am not sure about the ebrake application. I do not think the ebrake is a big player here, but the engine/trans being in neutral is important and I am sure Relible followed directions from Ford distribution (and Ford engineers).

Dealership delivery of our cars was a big deal for both Ford and Reliable. With the truckload value, Reliable did it the way Ford told them....

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Correct, All Ford GT's were delivered by Reliable Car Carriers from Detroit with VERY Specific Instructions as to Delivery. No GT's were ever delivered by Rail. Every Reliable Driver I ever met talked about Ford"s Detail Specifications as to delivery of our GT's.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

I am quite sure when Ford let the delivery contract to Reliable Car Carriers (out of Detroit) to distribute the GT's to the national dealership network, they were strapped down per Ford's requirements, in NEUTRAL for the reasons cited in above posts, and I am not sure about the ebrake application. I do not think the ebrake is a big player here, but the engine/trans being in neutral is important and I am sure Relible followed directions from Ford distribution (and Ford engineers).

Dealership delivery of our cars was a big deal for both Ford and Reliable. With the truckload value, Reliable did it the way Ford told them....

Correct, All Ford GT's were delivered by Reliable Car Carriers from Detroit with VERY Specific Instructions as to Delivery. No GT's were ever delivered by Rail. Every Reliable Driver I ever met talked about Ford"s Detail Specifications as to delivery of our GT's.

Indy, Tomy -

Any idea how mine might have been delivered - I've always wondered? It was originally consigned to Nye Frontier Ford in Wasilla, Alaska, according to the sticker. From there, they sent the car to San Diego. Flatrod can verify that the car was in Alaska, as there is a story behind the movement to San Diego.

However, I've always wondered how it made those two trips....

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm sure Sarah knows. And if anything went wrong, she will know where to place blame.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Ralphie, If individual Dealerships sold or transferred your vehicle to each location it was probably shipped by transport carrier. As a former Ford dealer I sold and transferred many vehicles regularly by convoy transport. Way too expensive to transport by rail anywhere. That's my take. Tomy

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Ralphie, If individual Dealerships sold or transferred your vehicle to each location it was probably shipped by transport carrier. As a former Ford dealer I sold and transferred many vehicles regularly by convoy transport. Way too expensive to transport by rail anywhere. That's my take. Tomy

Do you think either the original shipment or the transferral involved ferrying it up the inland passage from Seattle or Vancouver to Anchorage, or do you think it went on land by the AlCan highway?