Trailer Tie downs

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
I ordered tire tie down straps from Summit, and they don't really fit the rear tires very well, and they have two hooks. Looking at the manual, it shows a harness that goes around the tire and the ratchet tiedown strap is attached to the center of the tire harness. Someone said that the Ford road service truck had the right straps for hauling the car. Does anyone know if those are Ford straps, and what the P/N might be?

Thanks,

Craig

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Craig,

I had a custom set made by S-Line...I posted a number in a previous email...I used them for the first time this weekend...I will have pictures to post tomorrow so you can see what they look like and how they work.

matt

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Tire nets?

Is it really the onley way to strap it in.I asked he said he has hauled GTs
without them and he thinks they have not been used on all other moves of the car.I wonder when it was deleverd to dealer if they were used.

DALLAS

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2006
How To Trailer

I want to go to the AUG REUNION 9-13th....But i dont want to drive from Louisiana.....Will need to trailer the car...HOW TO SECURE the GT in the trailer and any other advice would be great help.....DALLAS

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Dallas, Here's the way I do it... thru the wheels. Front go straight and rear get crossed.

Attachments

• aa pick up GT 050.jpg
    aa pick up GT 050.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 374

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
Trailer Tie Downs

Here is the setup I use for tie downs. I had some custom wheel nets stitched up by Mac's Custom Tie Downs. I've forgotten the lady's name who helped me out but she was great in explaining the options available to me. A real plus was that she knew what a Ford GT was and let me know that they have patterns to fit the front and rear wheels of the GT. They made up a kit for me that is designed for low clearance cars. It took them only three days to make them up and get them shipped to me, and that includes clearing Canada customs.

As you can see in the attached photo there is a an "idler" hold down that lets the strap run out from the car and then the ratchet is accessible rather than having to work with it in the wheel well. The nets are well made and I have no problem with brake caliper clearance. I chose to have mine made up to use in E-track because I needed the straps to pick up my car from the dealer and didn't have the measurements to put in individual hold downs to fit the GT. (The E-track will give me the flexibility to use it to tie down my vintage race car also.) They can make them to use conventional hold downs if you prefer.

I was nervous about driving 1000 miles to pick up my car with a tie down system that I'd never used but everything worked perfectly. The straps stretched a little bit in the first 100 miles but after one tightening everything was great. In any event I sure recommend these for anyone who is looking for wheel net tie downs for their GT. Make sure you order the custom sized wheel nets. Here is a link to Mac's Custom Tie Downs site: http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=24&curPage=3&sortField=sortorder

Attachments

• GT-Forum-Tie-Down-Photo.jpg
    GT-Forum-Tie-Down-Photo.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Thats the same way the single strap holds mine down...the problem with the basket is that you have to get it inside the tire...and we didn't want to have problems with it rubbing. The single strap with the rubber stoppers works just great and we trailered it from Dallas to Austin with them on. The photo attached shows how the tie down comes over the tire and then back...the second one shows how the rubber pucks are on the strap and those are used to secure the tire...We had no problems with it. The main problem we had was the width of the car...makes it hard to get around the rear fenders and to the etrack clips.

matt

Rear_Tie_Down.jpg

Strap_2.JPG

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
CanuckGT, how did you get the car in that trailer??? Looks like about 1mm of clearance on each side! And how did you get out of the car, crawl through the window?

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
Clax said:
CanuckGT, how did you get the car in that trailer??? Looks like about 1mm of clearance on each side! And how did you get out of the car, crawl through the window?

I have a removable winch that I mount at the very front of the trailer and then use a remote switch cable so that I can stand outside the trailer to check the clearance as I winch the GT on. For the few hundred bucks that a winch costs I feel much safer using it to get any of my cars onto the trailer, and I don't have to crawl out the window. It's great that Ford provided the removable tow hook for the GT.

The whole thing is not as bad as the picture makes it look. There are a few inches on each side of the trailer fender wells and where the GT wheel openings line up there is enough room to slide in beside the car to slip on the wheel nets.

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
Tie downs Used for Delivery of GT's

Earlier in this thread GFORCE asked what tie downs were used when the cars were delivered to the dealer. My dealer gave me some photos of my car as it was being taken off the carrier. In the attached photo, if you look closely at the Heritage GT on top, you can just see the tie downs around the tire. They look like they are exactly the same type that 427Aggie is using.

Attachments

• Ford GT 001crop.jpg
    Ford GT 001crop.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 326

JJP

Ford GT Team Alumni
Apr 5, 2006
Saline, MI
Lgaruti, just a suggestion, you really shouldn't criss-cross the straps. If one breaks it will pull the car to one side. I usually do all 4 straps straight then put a pair of short loose straps laterally just in case.

Although, I have seen a lot of people transport with crossed straps.

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
JPP, Thanks for the input. I usually tie the rear straight back when transporting my Mustangs but when I went to pick up the GT my straps were too long. Hence, the crossing.
When we tow up to Dearborn I'll be sure to add a few extras.

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
tie downs

I'm wondering if anybody has any updates on tie downs.I will be using the single strap system and load track the full length under both tire tracks.A part number and or the strap length would be great.Made in the USA would be the only way.
Thanks, Guy