luxemburg europe
guys

you think you need cruise control but what you really need is this
www.stinger.com

Aug 25, 2006
guys

you think you need cruise control but what you really need is this
www.stinger.com

Interesting and yet curious minds want to know; how did we go from traction control to cruise control to radar?

All the best

Shadowman

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Interesting and yet curious minds want to know; how did we go from traction control to cruise control to radar?

All the best

Shadowman

This Forum is chock full of "Curious Minds" and un-related random thoughts.

There are no limits to where the GT Forum road leads us. Drive ON!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

All the best

Shadowman

Mainly because few here are afflicted with "functional fixedness" (so to speak) in any form! :biggrin :cheers

luxgt

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2009
luxemburg europe
American guys seem to need cruise control together with the traction control in order to avoid speed tickets. In europe we install traction control to go faster and a stinger to avoid speeding tickets. I guess that is the difference between the continents. Still I think American cars are the coolest, except for the cruise control part of course :)

Aug 25, 2006
American guys seem to need cruise control together with the traction control in order to avoid speed tickets. In europe we install traction control to go faster and a stinger to avoid speeding tickets. I guess that is the difference between the continents. Still I think American cars are the coolest, except for the cruise control part of course :)

Now I understand

In the case of the traction control system IMO it offers a significant margin for safety and yet the primary purpose is to allow the gal to go "faster" and able to use all of her power at will as such even with water between us the folks on both continents seem to have the same quest.

Takes care

Shadowman

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Ed and Shadowman,
I really look forward to the final product. At our recent rally, had a chance to talk at length with Ed about this modification, and I believe it may be the best one yet!! Also probably one of the most expensive. And the reason I would want it has absolutely nothing to do with speeding tickets (don't see the logic here)...I want to be able to more confidently push my gal with less worry about spinning and tire walls! No one expects traction control to be a miracle for bad driving habits or stupid decisions...but it will definitely provide an extra margin of safety (and performance from us less experienced drivers) currently not present in the GT!
Thanks for all of your work, guys!!:cheers
Scott

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I enjoyed speaking with you also Cyclenirvana. Yes, the TC is one amazing mod for our GTs. It's way better than the OEM ones as it does not involve applying brakes, it is manually adjustable and infinitely tunable. I just love putting her in 1st gear on 0% slip & smashing the gas pedal with no spin - just very fast forward momentum! Great experience. You can really feel the power the GTs have.

Ed

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
This sounds like a fantastic Mod for both safety and performance. Maybe a tiered group-buy cost could be priced up by Shadowman. A price that might include a reimbursement back to Blackice and Ed Sims for their R&D expense.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
This sounds like a fantastic Mod for both safety and performance. Maybe a tiered group-buy cost could be priced up by Shadowman. A price that might include a reimbursement back to Blackice and Ed Sims for their R&D expense.

I came in here to say something about traction control but I cant stop staring at your AV.

Aug 25, 2006
I came in here to say something about traction control but I cant stop staring at your AV.

LOL IMO his avatar is an acceptable brief distraction

Shadowman

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

It looks like she is having some traction issues also... additional testing may be required.

luxgt

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2009
luxemburg europe
ed you write the system does not involve brakes. how does it work then?

Aug 25, 2006
It looks like she is having some traction issues also... additional testing may be required.

and I suspect that you would be willing to take on this arduous task?

This is just one of the many examples of the members of this Forum be willing to lend a hand.

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
ed you write the system does not involve brakes. how does it work then?

Many associate stability control with traction control; on most OEM systems stability control uses ABS and pulses the brakes thus clamping the power output whereas with traction control the goal is to continue maximum forward movement through the process of controlled and consistent power being applied typically to the point that the tire patch can no longer effectively use it. Furthermore most OEM have two separate systems; traction control and stability control for example the Lamborghini and these systems can be used independent of or in concert with each other.

Now one of the many benefits of the traction control system would be experienced during the less than ideal moments in time such as when driving in the rain or on damp roads during which time zero slip is desired and this is quickly accomplished with a simply rotation of the multi position knob.

Takes care

Shadowman

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Curious minds wonder whether she has a boost knob too.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Oh yeah, I wanted to say that I've purchased a Motec M800 and plan on fitting it to a GT over the winter. It also comes with a pretty advanced traction control system.

Should be interesting if we can get it to work.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Oh yeah, I wanted to say that I've purchased a Motec M800 and plan on fitting it to a GT over the winter. It also comes with a pretty advanced traction control system.

Should be interesting if we can get it to work.

Properly tuned, Motec should work even better, but plan on buying some can-bus tools and doing some R&D work so that you can simulate all of the messages that the dash instruments need to work. The stock ECU connectors are hard to, or impossible to locate, so a huge number of cuts and splices to the ECU harness will be needed.

Last edited:

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Motec made the harness for my Testarossa.

John

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
They don't for the GT. It is going to be a PITA.