Traction control

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
californiacuda said:
I have already added 150 hp, let me know "after" you have it done.

Sure, I'll be happy to let you know. It seems as though you are convinced that traction control is mandatory because it is your personal preference. Your personal preference is not necessarily the preference of someone else. To each his own.

Let me ask you, do you have any track experience? Cars are a lot more dangerous handling in corners than on straights. Throttle modulation is a lot easier in a straight line than throttle modulation in the corners, combined with braking and steering input. If you have not done any track driving, I would highly suggest it, as it allows you to explore your driving limits and comfort in a controlled environment.

May I ask what mods you have on your GT?

The only traction aid I will consider is chaning the tires up for PZero Corsa's (or something similar).

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I agree to each his own, sorry if I got to carried away. Mods include pcorsa rear tires, 2.5 pulley, accufab throttle body, reinforced throttle tube between maf and throttle body (under high boost the plastic tube starts to collapse), 25 hrs on the dyno, with 100 octane 700rwhp, ford muffler (doesn't do anything), bumper delete. Car went 194 in 1 mile run last month. Working on more mods.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Clax said:
Throttle modulation is a lot easier in a straight line than throttle modulation in the corners, combined with braking and steering input. If you have not done any track driving, I would highly suggest it, as it allows you to explore your driving limits and comfort in a controlled environment.
May I suggest you to adjust your seating position. Most likely, you are too far back if that is the case.
You should be in a position that you basically can operate the throttle with the foot alone, and your lower body nicely tucked in with some knee or lower leg support. Works perfectly in the Ferrari's, basically there is even a zone shaped to nicely have your leg rest against. That way you sit stable and won't move, even without any upper body support.
Very controlled and delicate to dose that way. Try it.

Fully agree with going to the track to learn the car when breaking out..

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
SLF360 said:
May I suggest you to adjust your seating position. Most likely, you are too far back if that is the case.
You should be in a position that you basically can operate the throttle with the foot alone, and your lower body nicely tucked in with some knee or lower leg support. Works perfectly in the Ferrari's, basically there is even a zone shaped to nicely have your leg rest against. That way you sit stable and won't move, even without any upper body support.
Very controlled and delicate to dose that way. Try it.

Fully agree with going to the track to learn the car when breaking out..

I wasn't stating that I am having trouble modulating the throttle in corners. Just trying to illustrate that if you have track experience, then modulating the throttle in a straight line becomes a lot easier (utilizing similar skills gained on the track). As for seating position, I have my seat quite far ahead in a track-like position at all times. I enjoy this feel on the street.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
track drive bosition

Clax said:
As for seating position, I have my seat quite far ahead in a track-like position at all times. I enjoy this feel on the street.

Then you are the Man ! :thumbsup Same here, by the way... The others who read this should try it aswell, I guess we both recommend it for car control.. :wink

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I agree to each his own, sorry if I got to carried away. Mods include pcorsa rear tires, 2.5 pulley, accufab throttle body, reinforced throttle tube between maf and throttle body (under high boost the plastic tube starts to collapse), 25 hrs on the dyno, with 100 octane 700rwhp, ford muffler (doesn't do anything), bumper delete. Car went 194 in 1 mile run last month. Working on more mods.

cuda,

Congrats on your mods and your achievement of 7000HP. Pioneer the way for all of us, my friend!

Anyway, regarding traction control, I'm also for going without it. I think we would all agree that the car can be a handful stock. Imagine exiting a slow speed corner using second gear while back under acceleration. Even stock, you will have to modulate the throttle and rely on your feel for what the car is doing - and trying to keep it balanced.

The above scenario is admittedly a little trickier with your kind of HP, and you have less granularity of throttle control (each 1/8" depression dials in more HP) - but I would argue that it is still manageable as you get to know the car's characteristics. Additionally, with the HP you are running, this is not just going to occur in low gear acceleration but also with higher gear, higher speed corners where the stakes are higher. I guess my point is that if you get practiced with the car in stock form it will be easier to know/predict how it's going to behave with 700+ HP.

Best of luck to you and keep going!!!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
7000 HP would really make it difficult to drive and accelerate out of a corner.
I know its a typo but I couldn't resist.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
So fAR Piko is still in the lead with max power, to my best knowledge .. :cheers

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Yeah, its amazing what a 150-200 shot of nitrous will do. Very soon they will blow up the engine.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I found this little snippet about traction control:

The Ford GT’s lack of traction control is a personal issue for chief project engineer Neil Hannemann. He challenged anotherdriver on metro Detroit’s Woodward Avenueone day, but forgot to switch off the tractioncontrol in his Mustang. “I made a fool ofmyself,” he says. “I never want that to happen to anyone in a GT"

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Even in the Ferraris, the fun only really begins when you turn it off... :eek Pumps Adrenaline, sharpens the senses, no net & strings, and real raw... With a sharp tool like the GT, You know you'll be pumped and attentive all the time..

and (as for the Enzo), everyone wrapped around a pole, just increases value for the rest of us :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Piko is no longer the hp leader, someone else holds that title.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
SLF360 said:
Even in the Ferraris, the fun only really begins when you turn it off... :eek Pumps Adrenaline, sharpens the senses, no net & strings, and real raw... With a sharp tool like the GT, You know you'll be pumped and attentive all the time..

and (as for the Enzo), everyone wrapped around a pole, just increases value for the rest of us :biggrin

Stephan

While I agree with you it depends upon driver skill level. If a person has a SCCA or FIA license that is one thing. Some of the buyers may not have acquired the reaction and driving skills required to catch a car before a problem arises especially one that is as powerful as the GT. Thus for those folks traction control may be a viable option.

That said I think cost issues made Ford not include traction control.

Dave

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Dave, a point to ponder. However, do you agree that traction control gives a driver a false feeling of confidence? When you finally break one loose from the traction control the recovery for an untrained driver is near impossible.

You see all these computer controlled cars and when they are driven past the computers and drivers limits the results are usually very ugly.

Better understand that the GT has raw power and needs to be respected. Better understand your limits as well as that of the GT.

Cheers, daniel

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Daniel

I would not agree with your statement on Traction Control. I have been "saved" at least twice by my Z06's Competition Mode when coming into corners too fast. Yes you can still keep the car on the road.

Second, I believe that most issues on the track come when accelerating out of a tight corner. If power is applied too early or too quickly the rear end will break loose and cause the car to loop. Traction control can stop the spin from happening. This is similar to the street where excess power causes the rear to break loose.

But its a matter of personal preference although getting out of the "macho mode" is difficult for many of us. T/C is another safety factor that can be useful for drivers (track or street) that get in a bit over their heads. If you don't like it fine, switch it off, but others probably should have it on all the time.

But keep in mind nothing is fool proof or idiot proof. Foolishness can oevrride any saftey net.

Dave

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
There is perhaps, a more subtle point....

I have a Range Rover - it's the size of a small public building, weighs 3 tons and has 400 bhp with a supercharged engine. It needs all the technology - adaptive air suspension, traction control, 'intelligent' four wheel drive, stability control etc etc - to keep it on the road!! A bit like the stealth bomber, it just wouldn't fly without these systems. The Rangie would be in a ditch without this wizzardry.

The GT is well enough balanced and engineered not to need traction control as much as other vehicles. The benefits (feel and purity) outweighs the need.

Just a thought!

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Parking my tongue and cheek attitude, I appreciate californiacuda's postition.
Even the best professional drivers in the world get into trouble from NASCAR to FORMULA 1. If you are flirting with 700+ horse power it is nice to have a saftey net to catch you. Generally I find traction control overintrusive at the consumer level for street cars. It is great for inexpereince drivers and I can remember before ever hitting the track that it saved me from an embarrasing situation of smashing up my Porsche in the rain. The one californiacuda installed probably can be dialed in at a varying degree and lets you find the "edge" a little more safely. There are cars as Neilda alluded to that cannot be driven without traction control. The SL 65 is such a car. A 4.6or 4.8 X5 in the winter time. The Ford gt in it original state is not handicapped by quirks and probably doesn't need traction control given a minimally seasoned mindful driver. It is a perfect marriage between chassi and power train. The thing that gets me though (back to tongue and cheek mode) is the people who buy this car that are the type of people that can't appreciate this car. They can read the articles. They can repeat the words spoken but they just cannot ever experience the beauty of a GT. They buy this car not for the love of what a car is but for the love of themselves. "Look at me, Look at my car." Ever seen the Seinfeld episode when the building supper is holding the fur coat and as he is squeezing it to his face he is talking about movie stars and Comedians like Jerry to Kramer? Nothing wrong with fur coats. I personally prefer sheep skin given my Greek heritage. Certainly each to his own and different stroke for different people. I HATE when a nice car like the GT gets smashed up by one of "those" people though. Californiacuda for someone like you, :thumbsup on the traction control. I have no doubt anyone who reads this site is a :thumbsup owner.

:cheers

Last edited: