Tracking

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Just wondering how many people here would/will track their cars? I've always been concerned about doing that, and would never buy a vehicle that someone else previously tracked.

redwhitestripes

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
DUBAI UAE
Going to the track or not?
It was difficult for me too to take the decision.But I remember 2 years ago when I bought my 996 GT3,I went to the track without any problem.I have been participating at maybe 15 trackdays with the Porsche and guess what,the local Porsche dealer bought it from me when I received the GT.The new owner is a guy who have seen me on the track several times but was very confident because I had a full Porsche service history and down the line the GT3 is made for the track.
So I made 2 trackdays with the GT for some exhaust tests,all the crowd stand at the end of the streight to hear me going 5th,4th,3rd, 2nd gear.
Pas comme Le Mans mais presque!
As soon as I know how to post videos,you will have a taste of it.
The car is unbelievable on the track,I was very surprised by how efficient the brakes are.Driving "normally" I was 3 seconds faster then with the GT3(380 HP).
Before going to the first trackday I changed the brakes fluid for a racing high temp one to be on the safe side.Tyres were OK(nitrogen instead of air to avoid pressure changes) but "screamy"so some guys asked if I had Starsky and Hutch' car!!because of the red color with the white stripes and the screaming tyres.That was a good one really :lol
The space between the helmet and the roof beeing 6' is a bit tight but you finally find a good driving position.
What a car!
Take it to the track,you dont need to drive it very fast to enjoy it and it will give you a lot more confidence on the road.

Attachments

• divers 029.jpg
    divers 029.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 158

redwhitestripes

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
DUBAI UAE

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Lovely!
5th gear you must have been flying!
What track were you running at?
What kind of rpm or speed were you turning in 5th and what was the car like going into the braking zone at that speed?

You need to lay it all out to use 5th gear at Watkins Glen (and I'm not up for that).

Pipelion

Eric,

Those are marvelous!!!! :cheers

How about some still photos of the back of that GT.

Just curious about the muffler or lack there of.

Sounds great and equally atttractive minus the bumper.

Thanks,

Allan

redwhitestripes

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
DUBAI UAE
To be honest the 4th gear on the straight is more then enought but I couldn't miss the opportunity to heel and toe all the gears,down to the 2nd.The fastest I drove before hitting the brakes was 225km/h.But I had a passenger with me all the time so I didn't want to take any risk.I am more a gentleman driver who want to enjoy his car.I have more experience on track with motobikes(see my website) but I was amazed by the conception of the car and how ready to be raced the car is.I had a belgium guy as a passenger with me at the beginning of the day,he has a lot of driving experience on various tracks,including LeMans,he is a Porsche instructor.His comments was the same then mine,he really couldn't believe that the car could be so efficient as it is.
A pitty that Ford never thought of entering any championship(or did they?)
Regarding the exhaust,its simply a short 7cm pipe welded on the cat.The result is 112db and more then acceptable inside the car,As you maybe can see on one of the videos,the end of the pipes are in the same line then the cats.The cost of that is ridiculous as you can imagine.For an even better cooling,I have taken the back plate away.
Eric

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
redwhitestripes, Thanks for the vids!! :cheers

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Way to go Red & White. The track looked very nice but I couldn't identify it.

Unusual choice for tire pressures. "According to the Book" standard Goodyears should be north of street pressures when on the track. The lower pressures more than likely added the tire squeals.

I agree about the brakes - Fantastic. Did the stock pads last 5 days on the track?

Did you notice any tempurature increases after running hard?

Had my '06 do a few "demonstration laps" this last weekend during the lunch break at an Alfa Day. Went at it about 80% of what was availiable. Second gear coming out of tight turns was "interesting". There is such a thing as too much horsepower. Very controllable bringing the rear end back into line. I was thankful it didn't do the P-Turbo loop de loop.

Glad you got to enjoy your car on the track.

PL510:Jeff

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
If you watch Formula 1 and know where Red & White lives the track is extremely easy to identify.

The grandstands are very unique as is the desert, Dubai UAE (United Arab Emirates).

Dave

redwhitestripes

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2006
DUBAI UAE
Dubai Autodrome

We drive on our local track,the Dubai Autodrome.More details here:

http://www.dubaiautodrome.com/

And here:

http://www.racingcircuits.net/UnitedArabEmirates/Dubai2004MediumA.html

If members of the fordgtforum want to visit Dubai,just get in touch with me,I'll be more then happy to take you around the track with the GT.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Great videos and thanks for sharing with us! :biggrin

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Track? Absolutely.