Tracking and rainy weather at VIR

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Well guys, had my first track day ever in bad weather...what an experience. Actually, I was impressed at how well our car does. Had a spin following turn 10 after a very good run up the esses...got a little intimidated with the wet track and lifted following turn 10:frown...couple of 360s :willy but, had an instructor with me, who helped me get the car under control. Never left the track. Everything returned intact and a learned a few more lessons about road control in rainy weather.:thumbsup

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
360 Oh my!

Scott,
I thought you might have cancelled today, sorry I didn't show for moral support. Hate I missed the 360, I can imagine that tightened up the old vacuation chamber pretty good. Sounds like you made the best of it and had good time.:thumbsup

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Yeah, the sphincter got pretty tight following that one. But as I have learned from mountain biking, got to get up back in the saddle and keep riding...otherwise, you begin to second guess yourself and lose confidence. I have had close to a dozen total track days at VIR so far with the GT, and this was my first spin...actually 2 spins but turn 10 was the hairiest!!

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Yep. Here it is...a little spin! You can see more pics of multiple F430s, F40 (yes, hard to believe), lotus elises and exiges, F360s, F355s, Dino, RS4, all running in the rain at http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186536
Probably have to sign up to see most of the pics but they are cool. The guy driving the RS4 is a good friend of mine...the pics of the water spray are surreal!:biggrin

Attachments

• Spin of the Ford GT in the rain VIR.jpg
    Spin of the Ford GT in the rain VIR.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 87

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Well guys, had my first track day ever in bad weather...what an experience. Actually, I was impressed at how well our car does. Had a spin following turn 10 after a very good run up the esses...got a little intimidated with the wet track and lifted following turn 10:frown...couple of 360s :willy but, had an instructor with me, who helped me get the car under control. Never left the track. Everything returned intact and a learned a few more lessons about road control in rainy weather.:thumbsup

What tires were you using - and what tire pressures?

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I kept my Goodyears on and went about 29 psi cold. It was actually a little over 40 degrees all day. The tires seemed to warm up during the track section. My rears are little worn and need replacing. Wanted to use the Hoosiers :frown but not a good idea with that much water on the track. The water was really intimidating me at first, and I would find myself slowing down in places where I needed to apply slow throttle, weighting down the rear. Both spins involved lifting...and they would not have happened in the dry, as I knew better. It's like the instructor told me...the laws of physics are still the same, wet or dry, just little slower. Some sections of the track were actually more dangerous if were not applying throttle, especially so-called roller coaster and hogs pen.

Last edited: