Track upgrades

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
My car is mostly used on the street but I do an occasional track day with it, and when I do so I tend to run it pretty hard. In doing so I have found it has both insufficient engine and brake cooling to cope with hard running on track. I am consequently looking to make some additional improvements to make it more track worthy and welcome advice from those that have conquered the same problems.

Here is what I have currently.
Engine:

Whipple Gen I
Ida exhaust & tune
709 rwhp w 19psi boost.

Brakes:
Ford Motorsport 2 piece lightweight floating rotors
Castrol SRF Fluid
Hawk pads

Tires:
Pirelli P-Zero Corsa System Assimetrico
F 235/40-18
R 345/35-19

Other:
Transaxle cooler
Short shift kit

Problems:
1) Engine cooling.

I have only done two track days since installing the Whipple but on both days the coolant would boil over after one hot 20 minute session. I did two or three track days "Pre-Whipple" and never had a boil over. I understand that more HP=more heat, but need to find a way to keep engine temps down with the whipple. On both occasions it boiled over the car came off track ok, with temps around 230. I would then shut it down and leave it sitting with the tail section open to help it cool, it would then boil over a few minutes after shut down. After the most recent boilover I let it cool down and added water and water wetter and went out again. I found I could run hard for about 5 laps then temps got to 230. I then ran a couple slow laps until it got down to 200. It would then hit 230 again in about 2-3 laps. This prevented the boil over but wasn't as much fun, especially when I had to slow while reeling in my next victim. Ambient temp was about 88 degrees.

2) Brake cooling.
I have warped my second set of rotors, the last being the Ford Motorsport two piece floating rotors. I really no longer have a problem of brake fade since I use Castrol SRF and Hawk pads, now the rotors are just toast after a hard day. They are ok for moderate street use but now vibrate under hard braking and do not feel as effective as they used to.

Current ideas:
I was just at the Kohler International Challenge vintage races at Road America in July. This year it was co-sponsored by Ford and they had a Ford GT there from their engineering department to take VIP's on some hot laps during lunch and between sessions. I had the opportunity to take a good look at the car later and noted the following which I think are good ideas. 1) The fake front brake ducts had been converted to fully functional ducts directly to the rotors with tubing. 2) It had about a 3/8" wicker on the trailing edge of the bodywork where the air exits the radiator out and over the hood. I think this creates a bit of low pressure behind the radiator that probably helps pull more airflow through at speed. It probably doesnt disturb the aerodynamics much. 3) It had nicely mounted shoulder harnesses going through the holes in the seats.

Another idea I have is to make it a point to always do a cool off lap, this will likely help reduce temps a little before stopping.

I welcome any advice from others in the area of brake and engine cooling.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
As you already stated, more power = more heat. The Whipple adds more of both. When the cooling system was designed, it was designed to meet the stock HP output with constraints on weight and size. If you already have the 06 grill then the solutions I know of are all trade offs.

1. Drive easier with less high RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear.
2. Drop the boost on the Whipple. The Whipple even at stock boost levels will still give you more power than a the stock blower. Less power = less heat.
3. True diehards remove the A/C condenser, this will really help and make brake ducting a breeze.
4. Give Stillens a call, they race their GT and may have found some solutions.

Real track worthly FGT are not really stock, I am sure the A/C system is gone and the cars much ligher, have different suspension and brake components and most don't run a blower.

BTW, how do you like the Corsa tires?

Last edited:

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
A little surprised you had warped rotors. I have not heard that one before.
The brake fluid , yes. Good choice.

The cool down lap is critical for the rotors. Use very light braking if at all. You may know this, but no parking brake use after coming in till the rotors are cool.

What track were you running? It might help to understand better as each track has different challenges. For example our Big Willow Spring track 2.5miles and avg 9 turns and avg. speeds over 90mph is a breeze on brakes. No issues here no matter what I drive. Mostly 3rd-4th. could make a shift to 2nd at one spot, but almost not worth it.

Other tracks present huge braking challenges though and it is common to flush the calipers between days on a two day event.

When running with the BMW T2 guys (98M3) years ago they were having huge warping issues. They finally switched to a cryo treated rotor and had no more issues after. There are lot's of folks that swear by them and others say they don't work. The process is cheap and worth a try, just plan ahead. I run them on my Z06 and they last 5 times longer than OEM. I toast a set of OEM rotors in two days at the track.

Black ICE had some very good suggestions and summarized what we have seen, heard and faced out West.

PM me if you want a source on cryo treatment.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
John,
I also get the vibrating under extreme braking. It's a little unsettling hauling it down from 170. Is there a cure for this? Is it time for new rotors?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Vibration is usually due to warped rotors, or residue deposits on them.

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Vibration is usually due to wrapped rotors, or residue deposits on them.

Well then unwrap those puppies!!

Sorry.:biggrin

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Dave's due for a carbon brake upgrade! :biggrin You need to change them before your next run ... if they are warped you will probably find a cracked one also. :frown or at least that is what I have seen in other cars. (shock cooling/heating finds manufacturing flaws)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Well then unwrap those puppies!!

Sorry.:biggrin

Fixed my post. That is what I get for using a phone to post.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
A little surprised you had warped rotors. I have not heard that one before.
I did mine on the Isle of Man. The 37 mile track and lots of big stops, some from 165mph did it. Not that expensive to have new ones, which is what I did.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
The track was the new Millville NJ Lightening track. 2.5 miles, 155 mph max,
Cryo treating sounds like an interesting idea for the rotors, thanks.
I like the Pirelli Corsas a lot. Very grippy. Comparable to Hoosier R6's but much better on the street.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Stop Tech promised to develop new brakes for us at last year's SEMA.
Do a search. As of today no wordb from them.
I agreed to allow my car to be used for the development vehicle.

How is that new track? I know SAAC is having their 33rd convention there.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
My rotors also last for 1-2 track days max.

But I find that they are one of the cheapest things to replace on the FGT.

I thought about opening the brake ducs also. But the hassle and mods do not justify FOR ME the benefits given that replacement rotors are avaliable and cheap.

As per the engine temps I have no suggestions as I am running the Ford Racing Pulley and have not had any problems so far.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
I liked the new Millville track. Fast and with a good rythm. The other track Thunderbolt will open later this month and should be even better. Too bad they didn't connect them as originally planned.

911teo. I dunno, $4,000 for a new set of Ford Motorsport rotors every two track days adds up pretty quickly...

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Last time I paid $500 for a set (2 fronts). The discs are Brembos.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
$500 a set is much better. I'll check Brembo. Maybe I can just get the rotors as Im sure the hats are ok.
-Thanks!

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I realize this is CHEESY and Shadowman will scoff.....BUT....will it work????

At least it should keep you on the track

http://www.haydenauto.com/new-products/radiator-mist-system.htm

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I realize this is CHEESY and Shadowman will scoff.....BUT....will it work????

At least it should keep you on the track

http://www.haydenauto.com/new-products/radiator-mist-system.htm

Where does all that water and steam goes that you spray in the radiators? Onto your windshield?

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
$500 a set is much better. I'll check Brembo. Maybe I can just get the rotors as Im sure the hats are ok.
-Thanks!

I think the part number is:

09.5759.35/45
355mmx32mm

They are the cross drilled ones (bad as I cracked a couple of them). I wish they came out with the slotted ones, but no word from Brembo yet.

I will double check the part number when I get back home. I am travelling until next thursday.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Where does all that water and steam goes that you spray in the radiators? Onto your windshield?

I imagine it evaporates once it passes through the three radiators. (one for the air conditioning, one for the intercooler and one for the engine)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I imagine it evaporates once it passes through the three radiators. (one for the air conditioning, one for the intercooler and one for the engine)

Yes, most of it will, then the cloud of steam may fog up your windshield and impair your vision. Just MHO.