Track time tasted

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
As much as I hate to admit it, my black no stripes GT has spent much of her time with me as a garage queen. That doesn’t mean I didn’t take it out, just not often enough and most of the time not very far from the house. Generally, this would mean a short trip around town almost always ending up on the 4 lane for a quick trip between interchanges, after which I’d run home and hide it before our finest made the scene. Damn, it does go fast!

Tuesday of this week my GT and I became much more intimate than we’ve been in the past. A close friend coordinated the leasing of Blackhawk Farms Raceway, a 1.95 mile road track near Beloit, WI. We only took four cars and five drivers.

Eric, who coordinated the day, raced for 13 years and provided the rest of us newbies to this fun with instruction and tips. We had 7 hours of the most fun on wheels I’ve had in a very long time.

I know that many of you are very experienced and have upgraded everything from tires to suspension, to who knows what else. But for a virgin to this fun I couldn’t believe how much I could rely on the stock tires and brakes to take me from 120-130 on the straightaway down to whatever it was that I took the 90 degree turn 1 without putting it into the brush and trees. And for me, I couldn’t believe how the car held to the track through the carousel and chicane, hell, all of it.

I’ll definitely do this again … not sure, but I might be starting to understand the recurring need that an addict feels.

Couple of things that occurred though. In the morning it the engine temp seemed to be rather high, but within limits. The afternoon, however, was a different story as the temp crept up to 240 and into the red (245+). I assume this was due to the air temperature getting into the low 80’s and my expanding confidence as I had more seat time on the track. Unfortunately after 3-5 laps I could get it hot and had to take a couple of cool down laps. Later in the day, it seemed like it took even less to get it hot.

Eric took it out (good lord could he make it sing) and within two laps came in coasting after he shut it down due to temp readings which resulted in a boil over.

The second issue I had was after getting it pretty warm, coming into the pits and letting the engine idle the oil pressure would gage would read about 25 lbs and then drop to zero. A very light, brief touch of the accelerator, maybe as little as several hundred more rpms, and the gage would jump back up to the 25 lb range. Unnerving to say the least.

I called Rich of the GT Guys and we talked through it. Rich indicated they’ve replaced a number of oil gages/sending units and after talking with him he felt it was OK (but hopefully he’ll be changing it in Vegas). Also talked to him about the boil over as well and the expected levels of coolant, etc. Rich will be checking that out as well in Vegas. The only current thing he mentioned was removing the front air scoop screen, although he did indicate someone working on a solution. Any other suggestions?

Ok, this getting to be a long entry, but I do want to put in a plug for the GT Guys. Not only did Rich graciously and patiently answer my questions, he also called back to check on things.

Earlier this year (MAY?) Rich coordinated transportation of my GT from SW WI to their shop to do a few tweaks and regular maintenance, including an oil and filter change, halfshaft bolt replacement/upgrade (used the “Customer Satisfaction” Kit from Ford), Ford Racing transmission cooler, Heffner pulley upgrade and tune, Accufab clean air tube insert to prevent collapsing, Ford Racing muffler, CDC bumper delete kit, and installed Ventureshield on the front fascia and leading edges (air inlet of the front hood, side scoops, mirrors, rear quarter panels, and on the rear fascia behind the rear tires).

They didn’t put it on the dyno, but Rich estimated an increase of up to 80 hp. Damn, it’s even more fun now!

These guys are great. They did fantastic work, they made sure I was kept abreast of the progress (sent pictures and commentary throughout the process), and coordinated the transport to and from their shop.

So, in short, more track time in my future (may use this as an excuse to pick up a second baby), and many, many thanks to The GT Guys.

Jim

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Damn, now everybody is going to be faster than me. Guess I'll have to rely on my good looks to impress the girls.

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Damn, now everybody is going to be faster than me. Guess I'll have to rely on my good looks to impress the girls.

Nah, this is just frosting on the cake. I figured the black no stripes was always faster than those Red ones ... and better looking too! :wink

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Bling it out then. Get spme bottle holders, lights..... Oh, sorry forgot you have the light already........

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
gtjim

congratulations! You are now hooked to the track. The GT is a fabulous car on the race track. Very neutral and progressive in its reactions.

The oil pressure gauge failure is typical. Your story reminded me exactly what happened to me at my 1st track day at Brands Hatch. In my case it was David Jones from Roush on the other side of the phone assuring me everything was fine.

It's great to have these guys that are passionate about our cars just one phone call away.

For the next track day I would only suggest to swap the brake fluid with a higher boiling point one and maybe a harder compoound for the brake pads.

I have never experienced high temps on the engine, but then again here in englad a hot day is 80F.

Thank you for sharing the story and have fun!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
You might consider changing to the 2006 grill, I am having that mod done.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have tracked mine a few times but, if I'm honest, I always regret it the next day!

The 'trouble' with track days is that you start out with the best intentions 'I will not abuse my GT, I will not abuse my GT,I will not abuse my GT,I will not abuse my GT,I will not abuse my GT'. Well, you can guess the rest. Scrubbed tires and a hot smelling engine.

'I'm sorry, I did that to you', I whisper on the way home, 'I promise not to do it again....'

The track I would use most often, is Goodwood, which is also a bit small for the GT - perfect for a 911 or an Elise, but the GT doesn't really like being hustled through chicanes (in comparison).

I will do other track days (of course). :lol

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The oil pressure reading 0 at idle is due to a faulty sending unit. They fail on the low end reading initially. A new one is about 30 bucks. My white car which I have tracked alot has this going on and at the next oil change we will change this out. The sending unit is under the oil filter housing on the driver's side of the engine. Probably easiest to get to with the car up on a lift and the under pans removed.

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
gtjim

congratulations! You are now hooked to the track. The GT is a fabulous car on the race track. Very neutral and progressive in its reactions.

The oil pressure gauge failure is typical. Your story reminded me exactly what happened to me at my 1st track day at Brands Hatch. In my case it was David Jones from Roush on the other side of the phone assuring me everything was fine.

It's great to have these guys that are passionate about our cars just one phone call away.

For the next track day I would only suggest to swap the brake fluid with a higher boiling point one and maybe a harder compoound for the brake pads.

I have never experienced high temps on the engine, but then again here in englad a hot day is 80F.

Thank you for sharing the story and have fun!

Appreciate the suggestions, I'll look at doing both.

And I fully agree with you, it is great to have gents who are passonate about out cars available to us. And they're so willing to help. Rich had been wonderful to work with.

Thanks!

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
You might consider changing to the 2006 grill, I am having that mod done.

Bony, is changing to the '06 grill nothing more than removing the grill from the '05? I was under the impression that the '06's had the screen removed, was it replaced with something else?

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Neilda,

I had the same feelings during the hour drive back home. Even more so after lifting the clam shell and looking at the mess from the boil over. That said, after getting it all cleaned up and pretty again, I'm already starting to forget what I did to it. The track seems to be calling once agian ....

ByeEnzo,

Appreciate the feedback, it concurs with what I heard so far. In this case I'm hoping the GT Guys will be able to change it for me in Vegas. Before winter I will have lifts assembled and in place in the garage. Need to stack a a few or get rid of a couple so I don't have my wife's car sitting outside this winter. If not, I'll probably need to assemble a bed in the garage ... for my personal use.

Jim

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Bony, is changing to the '06 grill nothing more than removing the grill from the '05? I was under the impression that the '06's had the screen removed, was it replaced with something else?

It is a replacement 3-bars in a frame, mounts interchangebly. See Shadowman's posts....

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Neilda,

I had the same feelings during the hour drive back home. Even more so after lifting the clam shell and looking at the mess from the boil over. That said, after getting it all cleaned up and pretty again, I'm already starting to forget what I did to it. The track seems to be calling once agian ....

Jim

I know how you feel.

The GT is not even my track car.. but it is just irresistible....

On my last track day (Snetterton here in the UK) I went trhough:
- 1 set of stock tyres
- 2 sets of Pagid Blue compound race brake pads
- 1 set of brake discs/rotors

The drive back was 150 miles and I had to take it super easy because the brakes were completely shot.

The problem with trackdays is that now I need more. I am waiting to receive a set of the Stillen brake kit (AP 6 piston calipers)...

I had promised to myself I would not touch this car.....:wink

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska

There is a picture of the two grilles in my "05 grille" thread. Its towards the end of the thread.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The GT Guys have designed an upgrade kit.
I will allow them or Shadowman to peel this onion.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
There is a picture of the two grilles in my "05 grille" thread. Its towards the end of the thread.

Here's the picture...

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I know how you feel.

The GT is not even my track car.. but it is just irresistible....

On my last track day (Snetterton here in the UK) I went through:
- 1 set of stock tyres
- 2 sets of Pagid Blue compound race brake pads
- 1 set of brake discs/rotors

The drive back was 150 miles and I had to take it super easy because the brakes were completely shot.

The problem with trackdays is that now I need more. I am waiting to receive a set of the Stillen brake kit (AP 6 piston calipers)...

I had promised to myself I would not touch this car.....:wink

I am curious on what a track day consists of in the UK ?. The wear indicates you are driving her pretty hard.:thumbsup

Here we typically will run 4-5, 20-30 min sessions. Roughly 2 hours of driving. 40 mins to and hour of cool down between sessions.

Your wear sounds more like what you would see in an 6-8 hour race. The track config, also makes a huge difference as well. Just seams like it would take a lot to go through 2 sets of pads in what we call a single day out west.

I was thinking the tire to pad wear ratio was inverted until I looked at the track.

Based on the track config at Snetterton. 2 miles clockwise and the five higher speed turns look to be left handed that sounds about right. Also looks as though there are some very hard braking areas. I know it's a pain on the GT, but did you attempt to swap tires from side to side to balance wear?

Beautiful track, out west we have mostly brown grass ( Dirt ):bored

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/snetterton/circuits/snetterton.asp

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
:thumbsupBlack no stripe is always faster!:thumbsup Jim

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I am curious on what a track day consists of in the UK ?. The wear indicates you are driving her pretty hard.:thumbsup

Here we typically will run 4-5, 20-30 min sessions. Roughly 2 hours of driving. 40 mins to and hour of cool down between sessions.

Your wear sounds more like what you would see in an 6-8 hour race. The track config, also makes a huge difference as well. Just seams like it would take a lot to go through 2 sets of pads in what we call a single day out west.

I was thinking the tire to pad wear ratio was inverted until I looked at the track.

Based on the track config at Snetterton. 2 miles clockwise and the five higher speed turns look to be left handed that sounds about right. Also looks as though there are some very hard braking areas. I know it's a pain on the GT, but did you attempt to swap tires from side to side to balance wear?

Beautiful track, out west we have mostly brown grass ( Dirt ):bored

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/snetterton/circuits/snetterton.asp

Depending on the organizing club you have sessions or open pit lane (basically you can come and go as you want as long as the max number of car on track is not breached).

On this particular instance I did 240 miles on the track. I put also 250 litres of fuel in the car...:eek.

Snetterton is nice, even if it does not come even close to Brands Hatch, Silverstone or Donington.

It is wery testing on the brakes because of its 2 long straights.

Basically on the back straight I was coming out in second and hitting the brakes at the 200 yard mark at 160-165mph to brake trail into the lefthander.

This is where I did the most damage to the brakes because the left hander is a 2nd gear 60 mph turn.

Another fun one is the right hander after the pit lane....

I'll take pics of the stTE OF PADS AND ROTORS TOMORROW

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here's the picture...

I've been reading about temp difference between these two grills for a long time now. Obviously there must be a difference in airflow or Ford wouldn't have made the change in '06.

It's just hard for me to see how that small amount of metal mesh could make much of a difference in airflow.

If the front grill makes a noticeable difference, how about the rear radiator grill? Would removing the backside grill help? I understand some of Fords test cars had it removed. Anybody try it?