Track/street brake pads?

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Does anybody know of any brake pads more suitable to track use for the Ford GT? I took mine to Watkins Glen and found the brakes started fading after about 8 hot laps. I had already upgraded the brake fluid to Castrol SRF
and they were still prone to fade.

Has anyone converted the fake front air ducts to functionally feed the brakes?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Can be done but takes time and more than DIY skills to convert the closed off ducts (they are not fake).

The issue with the brake ducts concerns two areas. First the a/c fittings on the passgener side behind the closed off opening. These have to be removed and re-positioned. Other items may also have to be repositioned based on the ducting size utilized. Second, the fitting of the actual tubing is so tight that turning the steering wheel to lock causes the tires to rub against the brake duct tubing.

Dave

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hi John,
Did you bleed the brakes again after your Watkins Glen event?
If so did the right rear fluid come out with a bunch of junk?
The last two times I bleed the brakes on the GT the right rear was really loaded up with junk. Fronts came out clean with very little air. Left rear (driver’s side) was ok, but the right rear both times was loaded with junk. Wonder if it is due to most of turns being right handed at the Glen or something.
Anyway, I’ve used new stock Ford Dot3 fluid with good results on the GT at Watkins Glen.
Plus I’ve used Motul 600 on other cars at the same track with good results but never tried the Castrol SRF fluid.
Key here is new fluid as moisture kills all brake fluid performance.
I’m basically one that stays away from Silicone based fluids for moisture reasons everyone is already aware of.
It all depends on how hard you are on the brakes.
Last year I got about 2-3 days on a set of pads.