Track designer

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Long story short, I need to locate individuals/firms capable of designing a road course that would have all the attractive and required bells and whistles. State of the science and nothing less.

All suggestions welcome.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Donnymac,

Can't give you any references, but can give you some of my observations about some new tracks I have been on.

Check out the new track in Stark FL just south of Jacksonville FL. Don't build one like this. It is dangerous. Concrete walls right up against the track in the turns and large rocks instead of sand for the runoffs. Absolutely no margins for errors. His objective seemed to be - lets see how many cars we can destroy when they make a mistake.

Build a track that has long run-offs so if the car leaves the track, it doesn't destroy the car. Most race enthusiasts don't have an unlimited budget to fix wrecked cars.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I know the people that developed the Monticello Motor Club track....

Will require a finders fee :)

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
the best road race track for a GT would have average lap speeds at 100 mph or above such as Miller Motorsports park in Utah. a GT track should be 4 miles long. of course elevation changes should be incorporated too. the slowest corner should be a 2nd gear turn and the fastest corner should be a 4th gear turn. the main straight should be 1 mile long. the most important turn is the turn right before the main straight. turns should be a mix of decreasing radius turns and increasing radius turns. you should have one hairpin and a chicane with "S" turns as well :thumbsup

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Sebring FL incorporates most of the good stuff.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Long story short, I need to locate individuals/firms capable of designing a road course that would have all the attractive and required bells and whistles. State of the science and nothing less.

All suggestions welcome.

Above suggestions all good, but....
I'd like to know more of the long story.:thumbsup

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Donnymac,

It is another "it's easier than it looks" situation.

Some SCCA types built a new track in Eastern Oregon called Grass Valley. And after a soft opening last year, they have had to hire another race track design/construct firm to re-do some pretty major items. I can track down the "new firm", if you need, they are hdqtr'd in B.C.

While I assume the track you have in mind is for cars, keep in mind the other potential users---karts,bikes,drag's and driving schools. Plus City,County,State and Federal Agencies that do their own in-house training and driver Certification. This list is pretty endless.

From my understanding race tracks are either for fun or for profit. But almost never both. FYI Laguna Seca, Portland International and Miller Motorsports Parks, and probably a few others, are part of or closely involved with a local municipal park system. That involvement, from what I have been told, has generally more "pro's" than "cons" for long term operations and maintenance funding, and there may be additional tax benefits/considerations in the mix.

Sounds Very, Very Interesting to me.

Good Luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Copied you on an email to the head of the company that constructed MMP. He's a serious vintage racer as well.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
There is an SCCA / private venture going on up here in MA called Palmer Motorsports park, I will see what I can find, as well as another contact I met associated with Grand Am.

you might try the "contact us" tab here, this has been going on for a couple years, I know they will have quite a bit of insight:

http://www.palmermotorsportspark.com/

hemidoc

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
These guys are the best! http://www.wilsonmotorsport.com

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
We have succeeded and Donny is in touch with the head of wilson/sahara. Go forth young donny.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Alan Wilson is one of the best. He designed Miller Motorsports Park, Beaverun, and I believe he did Barber Motorsports Park as well. He may also have designed Autobahn in Illinois.

Here's a brief bio:

Alan Wilson has an extensive background that establishes him in a unique position in the world of motor sports. Born in South Africa in 1946, he graduated from Natal University to join Ford Motor Company as its Competition Coordinator with responsibility for developing the newly established Formula Ford program for which he introduced both an International race series and the Driver-to-Europe program. He was also responsible for the company’s National Championship Rally Program.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Let me make it easy for you.Look at Mosport,Bridgehampton (now closed cry,cry) Mt Tremblant .These are my personal favorites.Fast sweepers ,technical, up hill ,down hill ballsy,and just a total Blast to drive .There is no track that comes close to these in my opinion.(In the USA)
Check out this video ,Yup thats me driving in 1995.I'm driving a 911 at a D.E. event
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjRyFotFR9c&feature=related
Also check this one out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjRyFotFR9c&feature=related
This is a real drivers track !!It was at the end of its life in 1995 .Pretty bumpy and in need of repair .I still loved it anyway .The most fun race track I have ever driven.I really miss Bridgehamton.By the way the fellow who designed Bridgehampton also designed Mosport and Mt Tremblant!!!!You must check them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JUST REBUILD BRIDGEHAMPTON

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
designing racetracks is similar to designing roller coasters only the race tracks are way easier :cool

when it comes to a Ford GT...... by far the most important detail is the average lap speed :thumbsup the length of the track would be second. on road courses that are real tight which reduces the average lap speed significantly, GT's will overheat and Lotus Elises will be running circles around you. the only chance you would have on a track like that would be to build your GT like Matech did (2,550 lbs and no supercharger)

Donny, make sure you tell them you want a average lap speed of 100+ mph......

:cheers

Last edited:

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Wow! I am humbled by the suggestions and comments. They all are appreciated and valued.

Tuesday I am at SEMA and and after that will commence forming an initial plan. I have no clue if this can be pulled off but it is time to start running the traps.

Expect a PM in the near future. My learning curve is always vertical!

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
man this sounds good for midland residents potentially :biggrin

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
If you have the money to build a track you should travel around and visit all the motor sport clubs that have opened recently. Pick what you like and don't like. Grab the designer that you like best.

Sebring is okay, but if you do the end of the straight as a curve (coned), people will hit the wal. Saw a guy do it in a Viper.

My dream track would have no super tight corners, or slow u-turn corners, and no walls to hit.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
BIG sand traps with tires in front of the concrete walls is best as well as safer barriers like nascar has in the areas that have less room.

make sure you have adequate space for the pits as well as ingress and egress with respect to ease of transition to the track :wink

auto-x is for girls and Ford beat Ferrari at Le Mans which is a HIGH speed track......:usa

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DON'T copy Gateway in St. Louis. Too much concrete.