Track Day Questions

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I am a new owner of an 05. I am planning to track the car here in the next few weeks. I am a "weekender" when it comes to the track. I have been on a track about ten times, all with my Porsche. Is there anything that people do to the car before they get on the track? I am curious what little things people have learned to do over the years. I am not so much interested in performance enhancements (although I would like to know) but more about maintenance. Brakes, tires, suspension etc. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Check the brake system, pads and rotors for wear, bleed and replace the fluid if there any doubts about its freshness. I have seen too many accidents cause by a poorly maintained braking system!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
LOTS of threads on this, but routine maintenance is the 1st step (brake fluid, tire pressures, brake pad thickness etc), After that, a spare set (or run all the time) a better performance tires, will make a world of difference. I run Hoosier R6 even on the street. The OEM Good Year tires are NOT very fun at the track. Many have also installed a harness, the 2 bolts about shoulder height come out and a bracket is available to loop the belts though. The harness will also allow you to use a Hans..... After that, Alex (T&A Shocks) can outfit you with a set pf Penske shocks, he supplies 3 steps, non adjustable, double, and even triple.

Just remember no traction control.

By your location, hopefully Mid Ohio is on the list, GREAT track, would be a hoot in a GT.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
LOTS of threads on this, but routine maintenance is the 1st step (brake fluid, tire pressures, brake pad thickness etc), After that, a spare set (or run all the time) a better performance tires, will make a world of difference. I run Hoosier R6 even on the street. The OEM Good Year tires are NOT very fun at the track. Many have also installed a harness, the 2 bolts about shoulder height come out and a bracket is available to loop the belts though. The harness will also allow you to use a Hans..... After that, Alex (T&A Shocks) can outfit you with a set pf Penske shocks, he supplies 3 steps, non adjustable, double, and even triple.

By your location, hopefully Mid Ohio is on the list, GREAT track, would be a hoot in a GT.

thanks so much. Beaverun outside of Pittsburgh this time.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Unless you PM Shadowman and visit Area 51 :)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
David, probably the biggest must is a transmission cooler if you don't have one. You can either get the Ford Racing product, or order from Kendall at CoolTech, a sponsor here. You will need a Snell 2005 helmet if you don't have one. Many of us have the Arai GP5W. It seems to fit a little better inside the car. Go to Wally's (CobraR1939) website for harness bar and belts (a sponsor here), but not necessary your first time out. Watch the temp gauge, cause if you hit 242, the car will go into limp mode until it cools down. In between runs, open the clamshell to let excess heat out. If you don't have Petunia's billet vents (a sponsor here), get them.

The places I listed here are sponsors, but I list them BECAUSE they are really good guys with excellent products made especially for our cars and you can't go wrong.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Frank and I have been to several track events with our GT's and I echo his recommendations. Especially the transaxle cooler if you track your GT. Really need the added cooler for the transaxle.
Many people on this Forum poohpooh the OE Goodyears, but I have found the car (even with OE tires) WAY exceeds my driving ability, so the Goodyears work just fine. Unlike the Hoosiers, they are plenty forgiving and give significant auditory feedback before they give up traction.
I suggest before splurging on a couple of grand for racing tires and rims, try the car as the Ford team designed it. Learn to drive the car, run the line and get comfortable with the "feel" of tracking your car. Then if you want to move into more advanced territory you can explore tires, rims, shocks, pads, alignment, engine mods, etc., etc....
The car IS very capable on the track just the way it was delivered to us owners!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
After the session, it's often a good idea to let the GT stand with the rear clam shell open to allow a bit faster cooling and to avoid potentially warping the clamshell vents. Most times I finish driving mine (track or not) I do this as a matter of routine.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
All of the above comments are accurate .
What the real question is ,is how hard you are able / going to run car.If you are a skilled driver and can drive the car hard,than you will need racing pads (pagid yellows) and racing fluid (super blue or dot 4)
if you bleed out the brake system ,also do the clutch with the same racing fluid.
For cooling take out the screens on the air exiting side of the front facia.If you have an 05
Change the front grill to the 06 grill it let's more air come into cooling exchangers.
After your run group open the clam shell and trunk to help with cooling everything down.
If you do not have the Gt Guys clam shell lever get one it's awesome!It enables you to be able to open the clam shell from one side,very trick!
Good luck and have fun ,see you at the rally!

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
In addition to the above, you may find it easier to heel and toe downshift if you remove the thick OEM floor mats.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Some blue tape on the nose might make you feel better when pushing your old porsche comrades thru the corners. As previously state, check rotors, the cross drilled holes can show signs of cracking if improperly heated or cooled. Video Camera, rocking 80s music and an extra large set of cajoles. Let us know when you set the new track record.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
Some blue tape on the nose might make you feel better when pushing your old porsche comrades thru the corners. As previously state, check rotors, the cross drilled holes can show signs of cracking if improperly heated or cooled. Video Camera, rocking 80s music and an extra large set of cajoles. Let us know when you set the new track record.

hahaha

All of my porsche "friends" have disowned me as I have them. I have no doubt that they will know my nice white rear bumper very well.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
All of the above comments are accurate .
What the real question is ,is how hard you are able / going to run car.If you are a skilled driver and can drive the car hard,than you will need racing pads (pagid yellows) and racing fluid (super blue or dot 4)
if you bleed out the brake system ,also do the clutch with the same racing fluid.
For cooling take out the screens on the air exiting side of the front facia.If you have an 05
Change the front grill to the 06 grill it let's more air come into cooling exchangers.
After your run group open the clam shell and trunk to help with cooling everything down.
If you do not have the Gt Guys clam shell lever get one it's awesome!It enables you to be able to open the clam shell from one side,very trick!
Good luck and have fun ,see you at the rally!
Thanks for the clam shell lever idea. My car is going to them next week

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Moving the pedals closer together would help Heel & Toe technique.

Ed Size 8

In addition to the above, you may find it easier to heel and toe downshift if you remove the thick OEM floor mats.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I may be a bit paranoid....but I like a little blue tape. :lol

Attachments

• IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 183

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I may be a bit paranoid....but I like a little blue tape. :lol

You must be a 3M shareholder!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
He just wanted his car to be faster on race day. Blue was the right choice.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Running at night? Why not cover the headlights?
That's like going to a bar with your condom on.. just in case.. can never be too careful!:rofl

Last edited:

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
Is there an easy way to move the pedals closer together?

Connor-san

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta
http://www.buyroadwrap.com/
I saw others use this at a track day. It's not inconspicuous, but seems like it could be a suitable alternative for blue tape. Anyone know if it's easy to use, provides good protection...or if it's any good at all??