Track Day Coming - Need Some Help & Parts

D11VEJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 14, 2007
Peoria Illinois & London UK
I would be grateful for some assistance on the following:

1. Want to get an oil change, what grade/make etc as I am going racing?
2. Set of 6 spoke wheels and tyres wanted anyone have a set for sale Please?
3. Performance exhaust system - Not too loud, what make and where do I acquire it?

Sorry if all of this is already on the site somewhere, Junior and I entered a 1/4 mile drag on a runway this week, any useful suggestions of how I can get my car to go a bit quicker to beat 'Closeshave' would be welcome.

Thank you in anticipation

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
D, where are you going? I'm close by and would like to watch. Just use the standard Ford 5W50 racing oil. You may want a tranny cooler, either Ford or from Kendall (NotA4RE). The BBS forged wheels are much lighter than the 6 spoke giving less unsprung weight. Keep the stock rotors and pads. You may want to change brake fluid to better quality DOT4 (Castrol, Motul, etc). Ford Racing (Borla) muffler is nice, not loud. Heffner is also very nice. A good shop with experience can do this is all in about 6 hours. Do you need a racing harness and helmet? There's a good shop in Springfield (2 hours south on I-55) that can do this stuff (owner has a red/white GT). Check Livermore Performance in CA for parts for racing, they've furnished to many GT owners.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Whatever you do inspect the brakes and suspension and if the brake fluid is older than 3 month flush and replace.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
don't forget the accufab axle bolts is you have not done them yet.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Traction is huge in a drag race. Hoosier R6 or A6 tires are the answer.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Sent you a PM

D11VEJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 14, 2007
D, where are you going? I'm close by and would like to watch.
ITS A TRACK DAY INVITATION I RFECEIVED WITH CLOSESHAVE AT JOLLIET

Do you need a racing harness and helmet? HARNESS - NO, HELMET YES.

There's a good shop in Springfield (2 hours south on I-55) that can do this stuff (owner has a red/white GT). ILL GIVE THEM A CALL

THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST, I WILL POST PICS AFTER.

CLOSESHAVE IS BRINGING HIS TUNED GT2 FROM UK. I WANT TO SURPRISE HIM.

REGARDS
D11VEJ

D11VEJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 14, 2007
whatever You Do Inspect The Brakes And Suspension And If The Brake Fluid Is Older Than 3 Month Flush And Replace.

I Have Owned A Lotus, You Become Much More Cautious After That, Sounds Like Good Advice, Will Do. Thanks

D11VEJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 14, 2007
traction Is Huge In A Drag Race. Hoosier R6 Or A6 Tires Are The Answer.

I Need Wheels Also, I Want to save The ones I Have, They Are Like New And The Tyres Are Perfect, I Need A Set I Can Use Specifically For Track Days. What Are Hosdier A6 Or R6? Are They Usa Tyres?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
A6 is an autocross tire, so SUPER soft, the R6 is a road race tire. If you want to have fun on on the track the R6 is FANTASTIC.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

Description from Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=R6&partnum=93ZR8R6

I Need Wheels Also, I Want to save The ones I Have, They Are Like New And The Tyres Are Perfect, I Need A Set I Can Use Specifically For Track Days. What Are Hosdier A6 Or R6? Are They Usa Tyres?

D11VEJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 14, 2007
Well I finally bought the new exhaust, I took your advice and took the standard exhaust out and replaced it with a Canada's best, a bit noisy, I am collecting wheels and hosier tyres Friday, new crash helmet and will trailer the car to the track.

I will let you know if the day is filmed, we will try to do that, and send out the results, some nice cars going. A month ago Closeshave and me - Red v Heritage went head to head on a 1/4mile runway dash, he beat me twice by inches, he cheats, great fun though. He did bring his GT2 over for the day, awesome car, sounds like a low flying aircraft.

The Ford GT on a track will be awesome, oil change tomorrow, the car will be cleaned over the week-end, reducing drag, thought the brake fluid change was a bit too extreme with 2,300 miles on the clock, you are probably right but it will have a full srvice before being packed away for winter.

As for all of the advice, thank you all, I will make sure some pics go on the site mid week, watch out for them.