Track car replacement?

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
After 2 track events with my GT I've about decided to keep her home. I figured I need to spend about 10K for transcooler, exhaust, pulley, tune, tires, and wheels to stay in the game. Figure the wear and tear on the GT at another 15k and the risk of a wreck and I'm in for 25k to 50k plus exposure. I have decided to look for a track car and preserve the GT for sunny days. For those that race or have multiple cars what would you suggest as a hobby car? I've considered a late model mustang GT modified, entry level porsche, a used SCCA car, or possibly BMW. Any sugestions would be appreciated. One note, I would like to maintain the speed and power I experienced with the GT but with out all the risk.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Have you considered a Superformance Cobra Replica or the Superformance Shelby Daytona (Brock Coupe)? There are quite a few excellent condition SPF Cobras in the 45 - 55 range.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Look at all the posts about the Lotus.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
After 2 track events with my GT I've about decided to keep her home. I figured I need to spend about 10K for transcooler, exhaust, pulley, tune, tires, and wheels to stay in the game. Figure the wear and tear on the GT at another 15k and the risk of a wreck and I'm in for 25k to 50k plus exposure. I have decided to look for a track car and preserve the GT for sunny days. For those that race or have multiple cars what would you suggest as a hobby car? I've considered a late model mustang GT modified, entry level porsche, a used SCCA car, or possibly BMW. Any sugestions would be appreciated. One note, I would like to maintain the speed and power I experienced with the GT but with out all the risk.

Look at all the posts about the Lotus.

Fun,

I agree with Dr. Frank.:eek [did I say that?]:lol

Based on your comments, it sounds like the Lotus may be a good choice.:thumbsup

Have fun.:biggrin

Fred

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Exige S!!!!!

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
The 993 turbo is a great car to start with.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Track Cars

There are at least three Lotus track cars on this site, as a matter of fact a couple of them are doing track days this weekend at Homestead.

I have only had my new Exige S for a coupe of weeks so it is not broken in yet. The car seems to handle like a go cart, but it does lack that 550 HP you have become accustomed to. 0 to 60 is 4.1 which is pretty good. The Lotus is more of a handling car than a flat out speed car.

I can tell you that the last time I tracked my GT, there was a Lotus in my mirrors all afternoon. I could easily out distance HER on the straights, but as we would exit the next turn there she was, right on my bumper. I can also tell you that I was working a lot harder than she appeared to be.

So....I bought one for track days. The other car that I looked at was the Noble. Power consistent with the GT, price just under 100K. Impressive car.

Don:thumbsup

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal

I swear I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I was going to start a new thread and ask the same question. Though I knew the lotus would pop up.. I've heard nothing but great regards to the exige. I know new they're 53K. What's a good price on a used?:cheers

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Any of the Lotus' would be a good choice. Some of the newer cars are too "insulated" - you really want a car the will "talk to you". I find the older cars do that quite well. Older 911's (pre-996) or 914-6 Porsches - or even old BMW 325's. They don't have all the power, but you will learn to 'drive' them. All the bells and whistles are nice - but those features just dilute the driving experience. The new Corvette is hellishingly fast - but it's like drivng a fridge. I just spent a day driving last year's Barber Dodge Formula cars - great cars, fast as heck - but they are so s-t-e-r-i-l-e!! Get something fun that you will have to work at - you will get get lots of experience and respect at the end of the day.

Gordo.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
How about the Mustang?

Thanks for the feedback, but what about keeping it in the family with a late model souped up Mustang GT? I've noticed a lot of guys driving modified Mustangs at track events. Is it a price issue? At last week's meet at VIR one guy had a late model Caddy that flat carried the mail but looked like he drove it from church. I think it's like the old saying you get what you pay for.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I can definitely understand the wear and tear issue...and of course all of us who track the GT understand the risk of a wreck. But I am not sure I buy the notion that one needs all of these upgrades to "stay in the game." As you know, I am also a novice, having been to a half dozen driving schools and club track days...and, without a doubt, the rate limiting step for me is seat time not brake horse power. As I have progressed, I have noticed that most of the faster drivers are simply more experienced (usually running a lot less hp)...and in many cases by the end of the day I am passing most....not because I am a good driver but because of my GT's capabilities. I guess it depends upon what your goal is...if your goal is to simply drive faster and faster and you plan on going to the track more than 10X/year, then maybe a dedicated track car is what you need. But if less, then I would consider continuing working on your driving skills. I like the stock tires because I can feel them...and they tend to let me know when they are about to break loose. My brief experience with track tires on a race prep vette was fun...and they will let you take it to the limit...but for me it appeared that there was little warning when they broke loose. And since I have little experience in "saving a car", I thought it would be best if I kept my car stock and worked on my skills.
Having said all this, I would also say that the GT is a car I would not want to wreck..but, on the other hand, she was made to run. God save the Queen.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
you want a cool track car !? take an Atom..:thumbsup One of a kind in US, cheap , well built, and fun..

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Thanks for the feedback, but what about keeping it in the family with a late model souped up Mustang GT? I've noticed a lot of guys driving modified Mustangs at track events. Is it a price issue? At last week's meet at VIR one guy had a late model Caddy that flat carried the mail but looked like he drove it from church. I think it's like the old saying you get what you pay for.

03/04 "Terminator" Cobra will get you in the 10's and you stay near your price range. You could get a GT and have it modded to become a reliable "race" car if you wish.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
C6 Z06 is half the price of your GT and just as fast. game over

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Have you considered a Superformance Cobra Replica or the Superformance Shelby Daytona (Brock Coupe)? There are quite a few excellent condition SPF Cobras in the 45 - 55 range.

If you care about your hide, forget a Cobra replica, unless it is a Factory Five racer. Zero driver safety,... don't bother telling me that the paper clip roll bar on any of these cars is there for anything but looks.

Want fun and be safe, the same money buys you a Cup car with 600hp+

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I just spent a day driving last year's Barber Dodge Formula cars - great cars, fast as heck - but they are so s-t-e-r-i-l-e!! Get something fun that you will have to work at - you will get get lots of experience and respect at the end of the day.

Gordo.

I spent a day at the ///M Performance School driving the M3, M5, and M6 at California Speedway a few months ago.

Similar sterile, disconnected feeling. The M3 on the track was definitely more enjoyable and connected than the larger cars though.

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
03/04 "Terminator" Cobra will get you in the 10's and you stay near your price range. You could get a GT and have it modded to become a reliable "race" car if you wish.

If you're drag racing, an 03-04 would be fine. For the track, you want a 2000 Cobra R if you want a Mustang at all. A fantastic car, reliable, and the pinnacle of mustang development including current mustangs. No dissapointments with an 00R. I've never seen a faster driver who could keep the blower motor cool after extended track use and it's why I'm concerned about tracking my GT.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Ultima GTR. 2400lbs, Ls engine, 0 100 0 in 9.4 seconds, low cg, distinctive. Great track car.

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
How bout a Radical?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Read this March's Car and Driver. There is an article on tracking a z06, 911 gt3, Lotus Exige S, Noble M400, Areil Atom and Superperformance Brock.