Towing a Ford GT Question

dandaman

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2007
Tyler, Tx
Does anyone know why you can't tow a Ford GT tied down in Gear? If you tow it out of gear tied down that you are not to even use the Emergency brake?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Does anyone know why you can't tow a Ford GT tied down in Gear? If you tow it out of gear tied down that you are not to even use the Emergency brake?

Short answer: because the factory says so.

I don't "get" the emergency brake thing either. 'Never did.

But, the tranny thing has to do with possible internal tranny strain issues.

LeonardK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 6, 2008
That is typical for any stick shift car. The rocking back and forth puts a strain on the gear teeth and can actually break them. As for the emergency brake I have not heard of that on any other car. If you tie it down right you really don't need the brake anyway.

Leonard

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Oh, Leonard's stmt reminds me: use wheel baskets to tie it down with (another factory mandate). And be sure not to use ANY suspension part to secure the car to the deck...nor as an attachment point for the tow line!:ack Just use the tow hook/eye in the upper rt hand corner of the grille for that.

By the way - hello and welcome aboard, Leonard! Where the heck did YOU come from?! :lol

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
By the way ..... Leonard! Where the heck did YOU come from?! :lol
:lol

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
That is typical for any stick shift car. The rocking back and forth puts a strain on the gear teeth and can actually break them. As for the emergency brake I have not heard of that on any other car. If you tie it down right you really don't need the brake anyway.

Leonard

Your last name isn't Skinard is it? Yeh, I know, I know... spelling.

LeonardK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks for the welcome. I just sold my Ferrari F430 to get a GT. Got tired of the $10.00/mile depreciation. Ferrari people don't seem to think they can drive their cars. I thought I would get the GT before it was more than the F430. Great car and great board. My friend on the board has the white with blue stripes and mine is the blue with white stripes.

Leonard

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Ferrari people don't seem to think they can drive their cars.
Leonard

Larry can tell you all about this... :biggrin

Welcome aboard and let us know about your GT (have you acquired one yet?).

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome Leonard,
enjoy the ride.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Larry can tell you all about this... :biggrin

Neilda: ... You might wanna begin starting your cars "remotely". :secret:

LeonardK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks again for the welcome. My comments about the ferrari obviously don't cover everyone but if you drive one of the later cars after about 2500 miles per year depreciation works out to around $10.00/mile as I figured it. If you visit the ferrari boards many talk about high mileage cars with 10,000 miles on a 3 year old car. You can really see it in the prices when you go to buy or sell. I just did not want to get caught in that any worse than I already was.

I bought my GT from Shelby after he was recommended by a friend of mine that has an 05 GT. He was very easy to do business with and I would highly recommend him. You guys know that but any future owners may want some advice. Mine is an 06 with all four options, blue/white stripes. It is an outstanding car. I was a viper owner before and boy did I miss the torque. Great car and I am glad to be among you.

Leonard

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
its already been said here but to add emphasis i know of two race cars that were towed with the trans in gear and both ended up with broken ring an pinion gears due the the wear from the car rocking back an forth . dont ever tow a car in gear.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks for the welcome. I just sold my Ferrari F430 to get a GT. Got tired of the $10.00/mile depreciation. Ferrari people don't seem to think they can drive their cars. I thought I would get the GT before it was more than the F430. Great car and great board. My friend on the board has the white with blue stripes and mine is the blue with white stripes.

Leonard

If I don't count tax and license fees, or inflation, then my Ford GT appreciated about $3/mile. BTY I have a Blue/while also, great color choice.

:cheers