touring the Pacifc Coast Hiway

Cobraguy

GT Owner
My wife and I are considering touring the PCH in the gt in Jan. The plan is to head from Phoenix to San Diego then North to San Francisco and return to Phoenix via an as-yet-unplanned alternate route. Any advice regarding "gt friendly" hotels, must-see rest stops or eateries along the way would be much appreciated !

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel
St.Regis Monarch Beach
Surf & Sand hotel (Laguna)
Las Brisas (Laguna Beach)
Rubys shake shack (crystal cove/rest stop)
Javier's (Crystal Cove)
Cannery (Newport Beach)
21 (Newport Peninsula)
Shutters Hotel (Santa Monica)
Dukes (Malibu)
Chart House (Malibu)
Nobu (Malibu)
Malibu Beach Hotel

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
My wife and I are considering touring the PCH in the gt in Jan. The plan is to head from Phoenix to San Diego then North to San Francisco and return to Phoenix via an as-yet-unplanned alternate route. Any advice regarding "gt friendly" hotels, must-see rest stops or eateries along the way would be much appreciated !

Yosemite is pretty much closed, but, were it not for snow, a return via Hwy 50 through the Sierras to 95 to Vegas would be fun.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel
St.Regis Monarch Beach
Surf & Sand hotel (Laguna)
Las Brisas (Laguna Beach)
Rubys shake shack (crystal cove/rest stop)
Javier's (Crystal Cove)
Cannery (Newport Beach)
21 (Newport Peninsula)
Shutters Hotel (Santa Monica)
Dukes (Malibu)
Chart House (Malibu)
Nobu (Malibu)
Malibu Beach Hotel

You haven't wasted any time learning the 'lay of the land' (maybe a bad choice of words in your case!) since you moved out there, have you!!!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
The Chart House in Dana Point as a starting point.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
If you've never been, drive through Death Valley and your route home.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
stop at Nepenthe on Highway 1 as you approach Big Sur, eatery, amazing view, nice parking for a special car.....

also, do the 17 Mile Drive in Carmel......

Fishermans Wharf in Monterey is pretty cool, paid parking lot should be ok if they're not crowded, which they shouldn't be in January.....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...also, do the 17 Mile Drive in Carmel......

:agree::agree::agree: :thumbsup:thumbsup

(I'm told that's a toll road now???)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
:agree::agree::agree: :thumbsup:thumbsup

(I'm told that's a toll road now???)

Was even since I can remember, but I don't go back as far as you do.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
In San Francisco stay at the Fairmont on Nob Hill. Kevin the doorman will let you park in front ( I usually give him a 50 for overnight). I can't remember his cohort's names. Important - only access Nob Hill by going West on California St from Van Ness Ave/101 (head East on CA St to leave). The other 3 streets are steep hills. Walk 4 blocks to Union Square (or take the cable car) for food/drink & shopping galore. The Ferrari Store is a few blocks from Union Square on Stockton St. Cocktails at the Clock Bar in the St Francis Hotel. Piano bar & great beers at Lefty O-Doul's on Geary St (since 1958). Lunch is nice at Scala's Bistro on Powell St with breakfast at Sear's Fine Foods across the street (really long lines - grab a coffee at Starbuck's nearby while you wait). I'm not a huge fan of the Cheesecake Factory on the top of Macy's but if you get a table on the balcony it overlooks Union Square. The bar & restaurant at the Fairmont are also good but I love the Tonga Room in the hotel. I first went there 33 years ago & it's never changed. One of the last tiki lounges in the city. Waterfalls, corny decor, floating bandstand, etc. Hey, it was a favorite of Sinatra's so try it out. I had my 50th b-day party there (surprise party) & it was my best one!

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cobra Guy - call me when in NorCal & if the weather is nice I can arrange a GT get-together. Maybe at Alice's on Skyline or in Half Moon Bay. Oh - the Ritz in Half Moon Bay is nice to stay at also. It's right on the water. I've also stayed at the Cypress Inn B&B in Half Moon Bay (across the street from the ocean). They have nice GT parking. Lot's of good eating in Half Moon Bay. Maybe we can get BlackIce to dust off the GT!

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The bar & restaurant at the Fairmont are also good...

"The Top of The Mark" @ The Mark Hopkins Hotel (right across the street) used to offer a killer red velvet cake desert. 'Just thought I'd throw that in here! Uuuuuuh...never mind... :facepalm:

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
A must stay at in Pacific Grove at the north end of 17 mile drive is Seven Gables Inn at 555 ocean View Blvd, Pacific Grove. (831)372-4341
This is a great bed a breakfast where every room has a view of the cove with the otters swimming in it. It is a great place to stay to see , Carmel , Monterey,and 17 mile drive.
Have a great trip and blake your time and see what ever you want.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The parking at Seven Gables is on the street so not the best for the GT. The Intercontinental Hotel on Cannery Row will let you park a GT in front (nice tip to the attendant or doorman again). If they let you park the GT up front I can recommend the Portola Inn in downtown Monterey. Both are on the edge of the Bay. The Colonial Terrace Inn a B&B in Caramel has nice GT parking & is walking distance to the water & stores (Ocean St). The Chart Hose on Cannery Row is a nice place to eat along with the restaurant in the Intercontinental. The Crown & Anchor or the Soppora in Monterey. If you like wine try Pepe's Vino Napoli wine bar in Carmel.

If on PCH north of San Francisco turn East on Guerneville Rd aka Hwy 116 for a short drive to the little town of Guerneville. Lots of interesting people & little stores. The Stumptown Brewery is the place to go. Great hamburgers. All along the Russian River!

Ed

PS There is too much to see & do here. A few past threads have more recommendations if you search for them.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Well ....I was hoping to simply recieve a few replies with a couple of suggestions !!! Looks like all the hard work is done for me and all that's left is the fuel stops. I greatly appreciate the input and I will definitely be taking in all the suggested stops. Ed...I will pm you for your #. .....The Forum is once again a great source of info!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Seafood at Alioto's on the Wharf. Great food and great views.

Things to see:

Alcatraz

The ships at the maritime museum. I've seen:
SS Jeremiah O'Brien (Liberty ship)
USS Pampanito (WWII submarine - talk about a claustrophobic setting)

Last edited:

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Well, I'll give my two cents assuming that you are trying to drive on fun roads. I would take I-10 to Banning (just past Palm Springs), head south to Idyllwild, 243, to 74, to 371, to 79. Then if you really want a crazy road, head up to Mt. Palomar. Otherwise head south to Julian, and all the way down to 8. If you want to stay in down town San Diego, the best garage I have found is right next to the baseball stadium. Avoids valet's and within walking distance of most downtown hotels.

Now PCH is just a 4 lane red light and traffic road all the way until Morro Bay. About half the time you'll have a view of the water. You can probably make Santa Barbara in the first day. I would seriously consider making a detour to Ojai and take 33 north. You can either continue back to pch that way, or you can turn around and do it again to get back to the coast. Skip this road if there has been recent snow.

The next time I'm in the Big Sur area I plan on staying at the Ragged Point Inn. (http://raggedpointinn.com/ragged_point_gallery_details.php?id=7) Great view, food and bar. I'm sure the Post Oak Ranch is great and all, but I'll take a thousand less a night. The secret to Big Sur, if there is one, is to go in winter when it's not raining, and if you really want a traffic free experience, get up early and hit the road before every one else. Drive north for about an hour, then turn around and do it again. This is the best section of the entire coast and great fun when the road is open.

In San Francisco I like the cliff house (http://www.cliffhouse.com/home/index.html) I know it's a tourist trap, but the view is amazing. Ships, dolphins, crashing surf. On leaving town, you have three options. If the weather is forecast to be good for a few days, you can head to Lake Tahoe. There are at least three passes you won't make it over if it is snowing though. But if it's clear Lake Tahoe is awesome with white mountains and the sun shining. Head over to 395 and south past Mammoth, then you can cut through death valley (through Vegas and Kingman), or just take 395 all the way to Barstow and then 40 east or continue south to 10 east. Or you can take 5 south for the same options. (I would head to San Jose and take 130 over the hills), or you can head back along the coast all the way back through LA, or at San Louis Obispo you can take 58 east to Barstow.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I did it on a motorcycle 2years ago. Great drive however I did it from north to south that way nothing between you and the coast (no cars or trailers in your view)! Also agree Death Valley special: the ride from the south through the desert but the drive out (or in?) from the north rising up to over 8000ft incredible!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
On the way stop in Santa Cruz. Cool town Good food on the wharf

On the way from Santa Cruz to San Francisco the drive is great and stop and see the surfing museum

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Back in 1960, one of the best hotels in Monterey was the "Mark Thomas." Of course, - not including Carmel or the Del Monte Lodge in Pebble Beach. The Mark Thomas is now the Hyatt Regency and sits adjacent to the Del Monte Golf Course.

http://monterey.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-monterey/

Sometime, I'll recant a short story of our "stay" at the Mark Thomas, when my friend Ed and I crewed for J. Frank Harrison's drivers Carroll Shelby and Jim Jeffords in their "Birdcage" Maseratis (Tipo 61's) for the 1960 Pacific Grand Prix.

Needless to say, I always stay there when traveling through the Monterey Peninsula (except on the 3rd weekend in August - during the Concurs & Historic Races). It's a very nice hotel, and brings back very fond memories.