Top speed shootout!

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
I just got back from Cold lake Alberta from running a top speed shootout event. all I can say is WOW what an event. there were some serious cars there from and Enzo converted to FXX specs by EDO out of Germany with 860hp to a Saleen S7 turbo, there were 2 gallardo heffner tt's, twin turbo Viper, twin turbo C6 Z06, twin supercharged 430, 4 Ford Gt's, one had a 3.4 whipple etc etc. there were just over 80 cars that showed up for this event. this was an awesome way to winde out our cars. you'll be happy to know that a Ford GT ran the highest speed of the day. I ended up running 344 km on my pulley and tune car with a 150 shot of nitrous! the closest car to my speed was the FXX Enzo with 330 km. I give all the credit to Eric Brooks from Brookspeed for this. he came on up here to tune the car on the dyno with the nitrous and to make sure the car ran fine at the event. He is a master at tuning modular Fords! I'll post some pictures and more on the event later on but for now you can check out the website to the event

zrauto.com

i must say that after running this event I fully believe the ford is one of the best cars out there without a doubt! I've been a Porsche guy for my entire life dumping massive amounts of money into them to go fast with nothing but let downs and disappointment. my ford has had 16,000 miles of hard abuse by my without a problem.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Congrats! Thanks for representing the FORD GT group. This car IS, THE CAR!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
344 kph = 213.7 mph :eek what size pulley were you running and what octane gas?

i assume this shootout was a 1 mile race from a stop and not longer with a roll?

Last edited:
H

HHGT

This is precisely one of the main reasons why we mod our cars in my opinion. Some track them and some straight line shoot them, but we all know there are faster production cars than the GT and we would rather blip that gas peddle just long enough to tell the other driver; Don't #uck with the GT! Enzos included!!!!

Well done.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Dom was awesome. What he didn't say is that on his first run at 280+ he lost his front splitter just before he was gonna go for the nitrous!!! YIKES. So all his subsequent runs, including the top speed, were done WITHOUT the front splitter!!! His front was MUCH higher than mine on the speed shots I've seen.

We got a rolling start, and Zahir's Enzo was a standing start, but I don't think Zahir would have caught him anyway. Dom's (Black no stripe with +1 Dymags) car is WICKED FAST!!! There were actually two Enzo's there, and the stock Enzo ran 311, so even I was faster. Yeehaw!!! That MC12 is also heavily modded by Edo, and I was told it hit 320 on the lasers. Mel said she actually got to 325, and she's nice, so I believe her. :)

The laser was set up for 2000ft BEFORE the lift zone, so based on our GPS', we were about 18-23 kph FASTER at the lift zone. I'll bet Dom's speed at the lift point would have been closer to 365-370kph the way he was accelerating!!! John's gorgeous Midnight Blue (SR71) ran a Lasered 304, but his GPS told him 317 (he did run a lasered 312 on another run). Bob's (FGT1987) Red 3.4 Whipple car got to 331 at the lasers. By the way, only about 1/2 the cars even managed 300 on the lasers. Lots of upset Lambo and Ferrari owners. ALL four of the Ford GT's ran 312+!!!

I'm pretty sure I was the fastest car there on 91 octane Pump gas. 323 kph on the laser. And based on the laser location, I'm thinking I was faster than that as I had the tach at 6400+ when I got to the lift zone.

Me at speed
Race_The_Base___ROBIN_FLICKR_223.jpg

Melissa in her Edo Modded MC12
Race_The_Base_5006.jpg

Zahir's Edo modded Enzo
Race_The_Base_5147.jpg

The other Ferrari Enzo, gorgeous car
Race_The_Base_5084.jpg

And Bob (FGT1987) and former GT owner (and he says future GT TT owner again too) Nick in the SLR

Attachments

• Race_The_Base___ROBIN_FLICKR_210.jpg
    Race_The_Base___ROBIN_FLICKR_210.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
A few more pics.

LP640 with a few mods
Race_The_Base_5079.jpg

Dom (930Shark)
Race_The_Base_5199.jpg

John (SR71)
Race_The_Base_5027.jpg

CF18
Race_The_Base_5205.jpg

Gallardo TT 1000hp
Race_The_Base_5140.jpg

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Great looking pictures. It looks cool(lots of jackets). Any affect on tires?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
that orange gallardo looks trick :cool what kind of wheels are on that bad boy?

it appears to me that you guys were racing a distance that was in excess of a mile......

Last edited:

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, it was COLD!!! And with the winds gusting 50-80 kph on the 1st day it actually felt like the tire tread was squirming when the side winds hit. Saturday was great though. Cold tires, no kidding! I've just got a pulley tune with 91 octane, and I couldn't floor it until half way into 3rd gear or the tires would be spinning. I'm pretty sure John and Bob had the same experience with the tires (we're all running Bridgestone Scuderia rears) and I certainly don't know HOW Dom thought he was gonna floor it in any gear when he was on the Nitrous........

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
that orange gallardo looks trick :cool what kind of wheels are on that bad boy?

IMSA's. Very expensive, and yeah, they look REALLY good!!!

Ooops, sorry Freddy. The Callisto's are the stock wheel. These are called the IMSA wheel.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Callisto's. Very expensive, and yeah, they look REALLY good!!!

that is the best looking gallardo i have ever seen!!! how long of a distance were you guys racing?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
that is the best looking gallardo i have ever seen!!! how long of a distance were you guys racing?

Sorry Freddy, the wheels on that one are the IMSA wheels.

The total runway was 12,600 feet. We had a TON of braking zone, and a WiDE runway to turn from, so we only had to get down to about 80mph for the turn. The laser was just set to read our speeds a bit early (2000 ft before the lift zone). Wish I could tell you how long we got to stay in it, but i don't know. Just the length of the total runway.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
^^^^^^ did all the cars start from the same spot?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep, all started from the same spot except when Zahir did the start vs. the CF18. Then he started about 100 yards ahead of our roll in starting spot.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i wish i lived in Canada :driving:

all those exotics on a runway like that would have me foaming at the mouth ready to kill :biggrin

you guys are very fortunate to get to race distances in excess of a mile :bow

if i lived within 1000 miles of this race i would be putting a whipple of my GT sooner than later......

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Great pics and congrats on the run guys

Thanks

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
if i lived within 1000 miles of this race i would be putting a whipple of my GT sooner than later......

You are close enough to Mojave! Get the Whipple installed and have a bigger smile when you drive your FGT!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Freddy, I can't begin to describe how much fun that was.

Here's a few more pics. If you look at the Enzo, and then where the Murci is sitting on the runway, look for the painted lines. That's the diff between where we started (Red Enzo) and where Zahir started (Yellow Enzo). The Murci was one of 6 cars (including Dom's GT) that got to do a standing start for the grand finale vs. the CF18. The plane did a standing start vs Zahir, and then did low speed flybys vs everyone else. They were radioed as to when to start as the plane approached. Made for a great show, and for some great pictures. There's some on Flickr and I'll post them here too. The pics at speed (with the plane in the air) attached are from a guy I met named Robin. He's on Flickr. His is also the pic I posted of my car at speed. Really nice guy.

Race_The_Base_5178.jpg4936886230_ac8fe53ee0_b.jpgRace_The_Base_5151.jpg4936310519_de1263872b_b.jpgRace_The_Base___ROBIN_FLICKR_203.jpg

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Who is Melissa and how come she's got an MC12? I'm intrigued!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Congrats to all and great pics!!!

Great job Pro!!! Sounds like you had a damn good time. :thumbsup

So how did Nick do in the SLR, and how does he like it compared to his old GT??? Summer and I regularly talk about picking one up.....obviously in addition to the GT not to replace. :lol