To the NFGT Application gods...

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I know the application process is over but I'm hoping you may just be looking for a tie-breaker so that maybe one or two average "Joe's" get selected...

I know it's not wins at LeMans or Watkins Glenn but how about the AlCan? Just finished 3400 miles, Denver to Anchorage in my 05 FGT on roads of about every condition, speeds from 5 to a lot more and glorious sunshine to torrential downpour! Car performed absolutely flawlessly and is an awesome testament to just how great these cars are - turned heads everywhere, spent extra hours at gas stations with guys who'd never otherwise get to see one in person and hundreds of waves / thumbs up from cars, trucks and motorcycles.

Offer me a New FGT and I PROMISE I'll do it again in the new one!!!!

attachment.php

Us in Teslin, Yukon Territory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teslin,_Yukon

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
You would need to ship your luggage

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Luggage?

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Glad to see you brought it up Joe! That will make 8 here, but I understand one is leaving so back to 7 here!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Great road trip. Alcan highway - another GT first.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Very nice!!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I know the application process is over but I'm hoping you may just be looking for a tie-breaker so that maybe one or two average "Joe's" get selected...

I know it's not wins at LeMans or Watkins Glenn but how about the AlCan? Just finished 3400 miles, Denver to Anchorage in my 05 FGT on roads of about every condition, speeds from 5 to a lot more and glorious sunshine to torrential downpour! Car performed absolutely flawlessly and is an awesome testament to just how great these cars are - turned heads everywhere, spent extra hours at gas stations with guys who'd never otherwise get to see one in person and hundreds of waves / thumbs up from cars, trucks and motorcycles.

Offer me a New FGT and I PROMISE I'll do it again in the new one!!!!

Sorry, but only posting one picture of the AlCan does not give you any credit towards the NFGT. How do we know you didn't just ship it up there and then take a single picture?

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
We might have one or two more pictures... Need to get camera and wife's iPhone unloaded. And the car washed!

Check ths space later today...

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I would have started a petition for you to get one if you made it up the Dalton Highway.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Thats awesome Joe!

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I would have started a petition for you to get one if you made it up the Dalton Highway.

More than a few people's first comment was "Are you nuts!"... Yes, but not quite that crazy! I do plan a quick trip up to Fairbanks and the start of the Dalton...

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
The trip was more about the driving and very few stop to take pictures. My ever-so-understanding-Mrs took these while on the road...

South of Calgary...
attachment.php

Canadian Rockies from Banff to Lake Louise to Jasper was spectacular!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some of the more challenging road conditions...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Convincing the semi to jump in front for one of the Pilot Car detours.

attachment.php

Misc...

attachment.php

On the way back (in September), I promise to stop in front of the "Welcome to Alaska" sign at the Border and the "Official Start to The Alaska Highway" sign at the round-a-bout in Dawson Creek...

And in the NFGT, I'd even stop more for better pictures with the car, not just out the windshield!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Thank you for the pics. Been to Alaska in the winter but never to British Columbia. I'd like to go some day.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
That....is pretty cool.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
More than a few people's first comment was "Are you nuts!"... Yes, but not quite that crazy! I do plan a quick trip up to Fairbanks and the start of the Dalton...

I drove it in a rental that looked like a Mogadishu taxi by the end of the trip.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow! That's very cool Joe. I've driven the Alcan 34 times but never in my GT. I once drove for 72 hours non-stop (fuel & food only stops) from Anchorage to San Diego to pick up a new dirt bike, ride it for one day, then head right back! I just had to see some dirt as it was January! I"ve thought of trailering the GT to AK but driving it is wild! There is always long sections of gravel & dirt because of road construction. You are my hero!

Ed

PS Can you post more photos!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, that's a drive I've always wanted to take but I thought it was a 4wd road. OK, time for more pics.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Congrats! That's real commitment.

Hope that trucker wasn't mad at you!

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Ed - 34 trips up and down the AlCan!!!! That's pretty incredible/

W.A. - Trucker was most friendly and accommodating - did not mind at all. The flag lady not so much - advised me it was HER turf...

As Ed will know, the trip presents a bit more than just road, weather and traffic obstacles. Have to remember you're out in the wild, like a zoo with the gates left open. Fantastic opportunity to see wildlife in their native environment. You sure as heck DO NOT want hit one as it makes its way through life... Wide verges in Canada create some pretty green fields for grazing. Intent was probably right-of-way or fire breaks but proved very popular with the wildlife.

Anytime we saw a car/RV/motorcycle parked along the side of the road, chances were very high we'd see animal(s) and also look out for some idiot human wandering into the highway for the "ideal" picture.

Animal bridge in Banfff has almost entirely eliminated animal collisions - saw it first on PBS or NatGeo. Here's one in person.
attachment.php

Northern Alberta, British Columbia and Yukon...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And from Alaska...
attachment.php

Last, a couple more scenic views along the highway in Alaska between Tok and Anchorage.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Done that a few times (should be on everyone's bucket list) in a motor home pulling a Jeep, doing it in my GT never even crossed my mind. Dang, quite an accomplishment. Hats off!