To Collect another GT ?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
So....with the S&P up 40% in last 18mos....I'm considering locking in some gains & promptly blowing them on another ride:

My wants are an odd-ball mix of cars I always wanted (concours):

-'85 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV ($50K)
-'70 Corvette 454 ($50k)
-'70 Pantera ($50K)
-'15 Viper ($100K)

OR

GT heritage
Lambo Hurracan

My recent revaluation is I prefer flawless super-cars like the GT has been for 8 years v. the charm / character of classic cars (from exhaust fumes, squeaks, rattles, restoration masochism).

I'm more into a nice car day/weekend v. I chased down every issue in this car ?!?

So....is variety better OR Lambo OR Heritage best ?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If you don't mind taking a hit via depreciation and required dealer warranty/service co$t$, I'd go with the Huracán. (Thanks, jr.! )

If it weren't for the 'unpleasantries' mentioned above, AND the fact I'm just too cheap to drop a qtr mil + on a car in the 1st place, I'd own one in a heartbeat. 'Love the looks of the darned things...

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
The Vette will nickel and dime you as long as you own it (all three of mine did, but I was cool with that, it's a Vette and you can fix it with a hammer !)
F-GTS, better know a quality and a reasonable mechanic.
Viper: Dodge made 3 mistakes, if you can live with that go for it (1. bHP too low, 2. looks like the last one to Grandma, 3. 707bhp cat from hell Challenger)
Pantera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2Unce43wI
Heritage: Find one under $400K and go for it
Lambo: Cool one but I suspect it'll be produced just like the Gallardo, but who cares, the car looks good !

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Here you go EP: Huracán

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Wow, so modern Lambos still require the dealers service / warranty regimen?

Thought the Audi engineering helped; never owned a Gallardo, so not up to date...

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Audi helped:Ergonomics and quality. Still on the high side on maint. cost, it will set you back about $1k-$1.5K (basic service/fluid changes), but the car is about $1/4 mil so the service cost is negligible. Also, clutch wears less than 6mm and you're going to need a new one, so Audi helped but at the end of the day it's still a Bull :biggrin

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Guess the Lambo "glass clutch" stereotype lives...

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I'd consider the 2015 Z06 as that'll be a monster.

Huracan I'm not too sure. The ferrari on the other will be a car that will increase in value the comming year.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Pantera.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Thomas Wolfe said you can't go home again. That '70 454 will seem positively ANCIENT, even compared to the Pantera. You'll need a current ignition just to enjoy the thing, and there was no solid lifter hi po version of the '70, so I believe you're stuck with a Rochester Q-Jet and all of its foibles.
Having owned a pretty nice '73 Pantera, I'm biased and would probably tell you to go that route, especially if you could find a real 1974 GTS. Others on this forum have elaborated on the +/- of Panteradom, but I think they're finally getting some of the respect they are due, (especially after being the ugly, red headed step child of performance cars since inception). But comparing driving characteristics of a 1970-72 (say) LT/1 & a comparable era Pantera will be night (outdated) to day (ahead of its time). The big block would only be worse.
Additionally, every time I revisit the 1980s era 308, 328, Quattrovalvos (sp?), I'm stunned at what relative dogs that era of F cars were (sorry aficionados). The Pantera is a beast compared to the F cars, and just as livable when the bugs are worked out (maybe more so, especially when $$ is factored in).
The Viper? A lotta car for the dough. A hammer instead of a scalpel, no?
The Lambo Hurracan? Why not just by a few year old Balboni, especially if you could find one with a manual. I doubt you'd lose $$ on that one, even if you drove it some.
The Heritage? It just stuns me when people talk about $400,000 GTs.
Just my (inflation adjusted) $.02
Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I’ve had a 308 GTS (QV) for about 20 years now. They look great, sound great (especially w/o cats).

Its beginning to nickel and dime me to death.. Nothing horrible – just reliability is starting to suffer.

The cooling system was marginal 20 years ago – now there is no way you could survive a traffic jam on a warm day.
Performance by todays standards is (at best) unremarkable.

Still – it’s a fun car!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I imagine there is a bias towards the Ford powered Pantera on this forum, but think everyone has been spot on.
Panteras have been appreciating quite a bit recently. You're probably looking at closer to $70k for a nice one.
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1330266
Most people consider the '71 and '72 Pre-L versions the more desirable ones.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I imagine there is a bias towards the Ford powered Pantera on this forum, but think everyone has been spot on.
Panteras have been appreciating quite a bit recently. You're probably looking at closer to $70k for a nice one.
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1330266
Most people consider the '71 and '72 Pre-L versions the more desirable ones.

I've had my 73 Pantera L for nearly 30 years. Last year, when I told a local exotic dealer I know and trust that I was getting an FGT, he told me (knowing I have a Pantera and understand the mark)..."You can't go wrong with a GT BUT take the GT money and buy as many good Panteras as you can!"...probably 5-6 at that time.
I did NOT listen to him as I am a car enthusiast and not as interested in Return on Investment (at least not with cars...I have a BMW 850i :-( ).
Anyway, a year later, all of a sudden the (ignored for 25 years) Pantera is on the cover of Hemmings and then the Ring Bros (SEMA), and Jay Leno gets one (an L model)...another $ opportunity lost...I still could not be happier with my decision!

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
So....with the S&P up 40% in last 18mos....I'm considering locking in some gains & promptly blowing them on another ride:

My wants are an odd-ball mix of cars I always wanted (concours):

-'85 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV ($50K)
-'70 Corvette 454 ($50k)
-'70 Pantera ($50K)
-'15 Viper ($100K)

OR

GT heritage
Lambo Hurracan

My recent revaluation is I prefer flawless super-cars like the GT has been for 8 years v. the charm / character of classic cars (from exhaust fumes, squeaks, rattles, restoration masochism).

I'm more into a nice car day/weekend v. I chased down every issue in this car ?!?

So....is variety better OR Lambo OR Heritage best ?

I'd go for a Hurracan ordered exactly the way you like it. As for some of the others…..sometimes the idea of owning one is more interesting than actually owning and driving one. I'd also seriously consider a 599…they are great cars and seem like a bargain.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
My two cents says locking in gains=taking a profit. Decide whether you want a car for an investment (read buy low) or a car to drive (read buy high). personally, I sell off the stocks and buy the 2015 Z06 and enjoy driving the heck out of a car day in and day out. To find a car as an investment is a tough find. And if you do...you don't drive it. Good luck though on whatever way you go.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
So....after reviewing comments and some soul searching

-No on Vette, Pantera, & 308; you cant go home again. Not going to enjoy classics purgatory, busted Sats/Suns nursing them at "experts"
-GT...$300K all in with sales tax, transport, service, etc; somehow takes bloom off GT honeymoon to reality
-Hurracan: high maintenance; wait for -$100K to be knocked off in 3-5yrs

$300K can let you enjoy a significant amount of wine, women & song v. puttering around in a hangar tending such a flock.

Oddly, thinking more about a M-B SLS AMG

With them trending towards $100K, transmission software update via SLS GT Final, and bank-vault AMG quality; its a pretty hard package to resist.

The Gullwing doors, M-B, and AMG engine are just iconic.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
$300K can let you enjoy a significant amount of wine, women & song v. puttering around in a hangar tending such a flock.

You seem to have set your priorities correctly. :biggrin

Why even consider another depreciating asset?

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
You seem to have set your priorities correctly. :biggrin

Why even consider another depreciating asset?
One's a "depreciating" asset you can enjoy that doesn't demand more than a little maintenance, the other is a blood-sucking asset, that demands lots of maintenance, for a few moments of pleasure. Choose your poison!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
One's a "depreciating" asset you can enjoy that doesn't demand more than a little maintenance, the other is a blood-sucking asset, that demands lots of maintenance, for a few moments of pleasure. Choose your poison!!!

Usually both are depreciating assets, as for a few moments of pleasure, some don't even drive their FGT (EP). However one has some residual resale valve, the other one doesn't.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
SLS has huge appeal.

I spent most of my money on hookers and blow. I wasted the rest of it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk