Tires are toast

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
5k and the rears are done. Anyone gone away from the Goodyear F1's to a different type of tire. I was wondering if anyone has gone with the big lettered Goodyear DOT slicks. Thanks...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
PS2's for me.
Track tires are not DOT approved, a slam dunk for a plantiff lawyer to argue against you in a trial.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Tread depth is only 7.5/32" on a new Goodyear F1. Most new tires are 11/32". Not much tread to begin with; I wonder why? Minumize tread squirm? When's the last time Gooyear made a good tire? I'm going for 19"/20" with PS2's.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Tread depth is only 7.5/32" on a new Goodyear F1. Most new tires are 11/32". Not much tread to begin with; I wonder why? Minumize tread squirm? When's the last time Gooyear made a good tire? I'm going for 19"/20" with PS2's.

Do they offer the PS2 in the factory sizes and if so what is the rough price for all four? I can't afford to change out the wheels to 19 and 20.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes, Kirby posted about them. Do a search.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Im going to Hoosiers. The rears are back ordered I think though. :(

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Do they offer the PS2 in the factory sizes and if so what is the rough price for all four? I can't afford to change out the wheels to 19 and 20.

The PS 2's Kirby used are 345/30/19. It's the new Viper rear tire. It's more than 1 3/4 " inches shorter in overall diameter. The tire size calculator shows a difference of 6.16% which is pretty significant and actually changes the gearing somewhat.. This is a great site to compare tire sizes..
www.1010tires.com

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Im going to Hoosiers. The rears are back ordered I think though. :(

I've heard they are nice compound and handling but heard that about being on other cars, not the GT. What made you order them Kumar?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Tread Depth

The tread depth is set small in order to get the speed rating for the tires (~220 mph), just above the speed limiter of the car, at 205. Increased tread depth creates more heat which at high speed will destroy the tire.

I got 9,600 miles on my first set of rears, which included track time (1 day) at the SAAC/SVTOA Convention at Tooele, Utah, and a couple of runs at the GT Nat'l Rally II Autocross. My mechanic (at Mossy Ford/San Diego) says that 6,000-10,000 miles is a good average. You go through about 3 sets of rear tires for 1 set of fronts. I changed mine when I was just past the wear bars.

We are experimenting with lower tire pressures on my second set, running 30 psi instead of the recommended 32, as mine wore more in the center of the tire, and I'd like to have more surface area at the friction contact. It does seem to affect the handling slightly though.

My son-in-law has a Corvette ZO-6, also with the Goodyear Eagle F1's, and he gets similar milage, about 9,000-10,000 miles. However, he pays more per tire, as the Corvette F1's have run-flats incorporated.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I've heard they are nice compound and handling but heard that about being on other cars, not the GT. What made you order them Kumar?
Well, I wouldnt run them on most cars because they arent friendly in the rain, dont get a lot of miles, arent good in the cold, and are kinda expensive.

All those cons dont really apply to the GT IMO because the stock Goodyears only last 5000 miles. I heard the Hoosiers last 3500-4000 miles no problem. I dont drive my GT in the rain. The stock Goodyears are absolutely horrible when cold so thats a wash, and a few dollars extra on such an expensive car isnt a big deal.

The pros are amazing straighline traction. A 314/40/19 Hoosier will stick better straightline than anything else out there other than maybe a 17" drag radial. The turbo guys tell me this tire can hold 700rwhp in 1st and 1000rwhp in 2nd gear under the right conditions. The tire is oviously a road race tire so it will have better handling and braking than pretty much any other street legal tire out there. Also, the rear Hoosier is made specifically for the GT and is the only tire to come in that size other than the OEMs.

I find that a stock GT hooks up pretty well in 1st gear even with the Goodyears. A pullied GT gets no traction in first but good traction in 2nd. A Whippled GT wont get traction until 3rd gear. My car is already pullied and I plan to Whipple it soon. A 700rwhp car that will hook up in 1st gear should be pretty formidable. Im pretty excited about the possibilities if the Hoosiers are as good as most people say they are.

Damn I dont think Ive ever written a post that long. :rofl

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Well, I wouldnt run them on most cars because they arent friendly in the rain, dont get a lot of miles, arent good in the cold, and are kinda expensive.

All those cons dont really apply to the GT IMO because the stock Goodyears only last 5000 miles. I heard the Hoosiers last 3500-4000 miles no problem. I dont drive my GT in the rain. The stock Goodyears are absolutely horrible when cold so thats a wash, and a few dollars extra on such an expensive car isnt a big deal.

The pros are amazing straighline traction. A 314/40/19 Hoosier will stick better straightline than anything else out there other than maybe a 17" drag radial. The turbo guys tell me this tire can hold 700rwhp in 1st and 1000rwhp in 2nd gear under the right conditions. The tire is oviously a road race tire so it will have better handling and braking than pretty much any other street legal tire out there. Also, the rear Hoosier is made specifically for the GT and is the only tire to come in that size other than the OEMs.

I find that a stock GT hooks up pretty well in 1st gear even with the Goodyears. A pullied GT gets no traction in first but good traction in 2nd. A Whippled GT wont get traction until 3rd gear. My car is already pullied and I plan to Whipple it soon. A 700rwhp car that will hook up in 1st gear should be pretty formidable. Im pretty excited about the possibilities if the Hoosiers are as good as most people say they are.

Damn I dont think Ive ever written a post that long. :rofl

Thanks for the input guys, I have the luxury of not being in a rush for it has gotten cold here in CT and my car is very loose due to the cold and the tires looking like slicks at this point. Almost lost it on Sunday in 40 degree weather so be careful to all you cold weather regions out there.
I really was hoping to get a tire that is not only an excellent application for the GT but also something that has the wide white lettering on it to give a race car look. Do the Hoosiers you ordered Kumar have the lettering on them?

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
QUOTE: "I got 9,600 miles on my first set of rears, which included track time (1 day) at the SAAC/SVTOA Convention at Tooele, Utah, and a couple of runs at the GT Nat'l Rally II Autocross. My mechanic (at Mossy Ford/San Diego) says that 6,000-10,000 miles is a good average. You go through about 3 sets of rear tires for 1 set of fronts. I changed mine when I was just past the wear bars."

A 3:1 tire replacement ratio has been my experience with mid-engined, high powered cars for many years, including the Pantera I bought new in '72 (and still have today). It is just the nature of the beast and the low to begin with tread depth on the Goodyear F1 FGT tires just increases the required replacement frequency, not the front vs. rear wear ratio.

usmcfred