Tire Pressures

racer22

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2013
Wondering what the preferred tire pressure is for fronts and rears for the Goodyear Eagle F1's

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
32 psi for the street

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
At 32 psig, you'll wear down the centers fairly fast in the rear. I set mine at 26 psig cold and they come up to around 29-31 on the street, 35 on the track. I get about 12-13,000 miles on a set of rears.

Ralphie, do you set all four tires at 26, or only the rears? And what ambient temperature is "cold" to you?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I just re-examined my Bridgestones with 12K on them. The centers are wearing as if overinflated at 32psi. Will drop to 30 on the next set.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
9k miles on my rear F1's at 28 psi and they are on the wear bars in the center with lots of tread on the outsides. Fronts are wearing evenly at 28. Haven't babied nor abused them. Probably took a few thousand miles off them at NOLA in two days. I think Ralphie is spot on for the street, but I'd bump them up for spirited driving.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Any opinions on BS tires?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ralphie, do you set all four tires at 26, or only the rears? And what ambient temperature is "cold" to you?

I've set all tires at 26 psig cold, for the reason explained for the rears. I do it for the fronts too, as the normal negative camber tends to wear the insides, and is not noticible unless one specifically looks for it.

I also downloaded a treatise from Michelin for use with my Pilot Sport Cup tires that I run when going to a track. They recommend a cold pressure setting of 25 psig. Before I got this, I had emperically determined at the track a cold tire pressure of 25-26 psig.

Cold pressure for me is an ambient temperature in the morning before starting out - anywhere from 60° to 75° F.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I just re-examined my Bridgestones with 12K on them. The centers are wearing as if overinflated at 32psi. Will drop to 30 on the next set.

Frank -

Dropping 2 psig won't change much - I did this early on with the Goodyears and it didn't do anything. I first went to 30, then 29, then 28 and finally to 26 psig. I think you'll find the same.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ralphie,

How do the Goodyears handle at 26 psi? That seems awfully low.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ralphie,

How do the Goodyears handle at 26 psi? That seems awfully low.

Prior to the Rally at Sonoma, I had just finished a 7,000 mile trip across the country in many varying weather conditions. They were perfect! Especially in rain, the Goodyears can be counted on. I had no problems at the 26 psig setting. And, I've run them in 1" of snow over the Carson Spur and the Carson Pass (8,574'), although it definitely was NOT intentional. I've also run them at (very) high speeds across Nevada and they are very stable when set at this pressure level.

I believe the 32 psig was recommended for our cars that would be going must faster than I do (>150 mph), as a saftey concern. The 26 psig seems very right for the Goodyears.

I can't say that Bridgestones aren't just as good, because I've never tried them - however, the Goodyears have been good to me for street and highway driving.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks. I'll start playing around with the psi on my new Bridgestones.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I think that Rich and Denis had recommended that I put 30psi all around for street use on the "stones", and that's what I've been using. Works well for me

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ralphie, I think you're probably right but physicians make adjustments in little increments.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
And your point is?

Good to see you in Sonoma. Any P.S. medical meetings in P.S. this winter. If not come out anyway, place to stay and a car to drive too.

From all reports, and there are many, you behaved yourself quite well.

Wish I had joined the pre- and post drives. Just might do some of them on the way home next week.
Ralphie, I think you're probably right but physicians make adjustments in little increments.

racer22

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2013
Thanks for the info. 26 sounds pretty good.

Ralphie,

are you Superman ?

i never ever made, on my three set of Goodyears in the rear, more than 5000 kms, the first 3500 kms, the second 2500 kms with one day at Hockenheim Formula 1 (new shorter track), and finally, because i needed to drive home from Brentwood, Essex to Dover (Ferry to Calais) to Reims (Champagne) and Strassbourg (good food) and to Switzerland and wanted to arrive with the swiss law requirements of 1,6 millimeters at my tire dealer where the first set of Bridgestoneswaited for me, i made 5001,3 miles !!!
FelixIbizaSwitzerland

The last figure must read 5001,3 kms, all figures were converted with a technical data sheet for mechanics from the milesreadings in my car to kms, sorry

Felix

Hi Felix:

I would like to make sure about your Goodyear tire mileages: you only got 5000 km (3100 mi) for the first set, and less for the others? I have put more than 8000 km (5000 miles) on my rear tires (no track days) and they still have at least half their tread depth remaining. You must drive a lot harder than I do .....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Almost 9k miles on my rears and I haven't babied them.