tire advice

holy grail

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2010
queens
drove my 05 gt to montecello raceway yesterday to test drive several amg's. great track and set up. perfect day until 5 minutes from home when my inner sidewall rear tire shredded under normal driving.thinking of changing all 4 to bridgestone. my car is at my local tire shop, any advice on jacking ? should i stay with oem tires? appreciate any advice,regards.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Love my Bridgestones, the OEM's are now back in production, so at least you'll have a choice. Lots of input on past threads of opinions on both. Have not heard of anyone, not loving the upgrade to the Bridgestones. I think that when my tires need replacing (have over 4,000 miles on the tires), if the Bridgestones are still available, I will use them again.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Go bridgestones. Make sure you and they know correct jacking points.
Several have been damaged due to wrong lift points.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Hopefully this helps

GTONSIDE.jpg

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
tpraceman - cool photo. do you jack up at the yellow points, or blue points? not sure the difference in them. thanks

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Have most people been ok using the "central" blue jacking points? I have been using the yellow but they are a major PITA.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yellow are the areas that the are the "book" locations (also the lift points that the factory used when the chassis was on a jig, before the car rolled on its own), Blue is where he jacks, when getting car up enough to change both tires on a side, and only jackign the car once. I have only used "yellow". All locations... recomended to use the "gucci" lift pucks for sale bu forum members, or the basic that I use, a hockey puck on the jack lift plate.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
The advantage of the blue jacking points is one jack on that side lifts the car to change both wheels. Followed the picture above and just changed my 4 wheels. My low profile jack also would not have been able to make it to the other jack points. Stu

holy grail

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2010
queens
thanks to everyone for their advise

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
drove my 05 gt to montecello raceway yesterday to test drive several amg's. great track and set up. perfect day until 5 minutes from home when my inner sidewall rear tire shredded under normal driving...

A very good thing this didn't happen at speed on the track, or worst at the end of a mile run. Another reminder to those of us still running the tires that came with the car, they are getting past their useful (safe) lifespan and should be changed out if you drive faster than EP.

I am assuming these are the original GY tires on a 05 car. Any thoughts to what causes the failure to the inner (non-exposed) sidewall.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I went Bridgestone and wow what an improvement. So much smoother and quieter. More contact patch to boot.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
This lift point picture seems to show both black and silver lift points at the front each with holes that will accept a lift puck. The black frame section seems to be thicker than the silver section. Are both good lift points?

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
I went Bridgestone and wow what an improvement. So much smoother and quieter. More contact patch to boot.
It's time for me to replace mine.. any suggestion on the size of the tires for street use?

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I went with 235/45/18 on the front and 345/35/19 on the rear. LOVE the difference from the GY tires!

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
I went with 235/45/18 on the front and 345/35/19 on the rear. LOVE the difference from the GY tires!

I saw a post where Shelby recommended:

265/40R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A N0 (Porsche) XL

345/35R-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia

I am trying to make the best decision on the front tires..

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
265/40R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A N0 (Porsche) XL

345/35R-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia

This is what Shelby put on mine. I really like them!

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
This is what Shelby put on mine. I really like them!

Thanks, Shelby is the man!

I called the local tire store and the only thing he didn't see was the refrenece to the NO ( porche )
But they are XL's so I am assuming we got it right.

Pricing:

265/40R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A XL 317.00 ea

345/35R-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia 387.00 ea

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Check TireRack as well.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I chose the 235 fronts so as not to go wider than stock and risk drift on uneven roads or change the steering character, any of you running 265 notice any negatives from stock size?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Derry, I have the wider front BS on and drove from St. Louis to Rally V and back. No difference in feel. A pleasure to drive. Get them dropped shipped from TireRack to someplace local that can put them on. I went to the local BS store and they had NO idea what I wanted or why and said they couldn't get them anyhow. They actually argued with me about it. TireRack was excellent, had the tires in 3 days. 20 miinutes after install I was picked up for 115 in a 65 zone.